TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Quietly Discontinues the 85 kWh Battery Option in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by S'toon, Jan 27, 2016.

1. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I confirmed this for myself.

Full article at:
    http://electrek.co/2016/01/27/tesla-discontinue-85-kwh-battery-option-canada/

2. electracity

electracity Active Member

This post caused me to look at the current exchange rate. Ouch.

3. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

They recently updated the article with feedback from Tesla

4. Cobbler

Cobbler Member

Could it be for the introduction of the 110kWh battery?

And the introduction of the smaller battery packs for the M3 announced in March? (to create a gap between M3 battery offering and Model S offering?)

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Hopefully they bump the 70 pack up to 75 or 80 too.

6. Trev Page

Trev Page Member

Yes, I think they're bumping them up to make some room in the lower end for Model 3. Even though it's 2 years away from production ramping up they have to keep Model S/X as premium cars and margins so their pack sizes have to be increased to reflect it.

Leaves room for a 60Kwh and maybe an 85 for Model 3.

Speaking of which, Tesla's introductions of new cars never come with lots of details so when Model 3 is announced don't expect more at the intro other than their usual explanation for doing the car, some rough performance specs, and perhaps the battery sizes. They won't tell us what will be optional and what things will cost other than the base price of the car. Those details will be known only when configuration invites go out towards the end of next year. Just remember what happened with the X and set your expectations to the same level.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, same here. Prices are mind boggling due to the low $. Ouch.

7. SMSMD

SMSMD Member

The exchange rate here will be an indicator of the Model x pricing..Pretty soon the invites will be going out to production model X .

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

When Tesla introduced the 90 kWh battery most people assumed they would phase out the 85. Having two batteries so close in size made little sense.

9. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

It just makes sense. It's not like you can buy the batteries from the Roadster. The improvements are there so the Model S and Model X will have them. I wonder if the current 70 kWh pack cars are already using the new silicon anode batteries? I really expect that the Model 3 batteries will be used in the Model S and X too. The Model 3 will have a new form factor but will they just modify the S and X battery pack to utilize that new form factor or will they stick with the current 18650 form factor for only the S and X? It would make sense to adjust their pack to the new batteries and focus on only the one type of battery. The other option being that S and X will continue to use batteries shipped in from Japan and Panasonic will continue to use the old factor there since they will still be selling the 18650 to others.

10. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

It's also possible that sales of the 85KWh battery are low enough that Tesla has started phasing them out and Canada is just first for some reason. It wouldn't be the first time Tesla discontinued options that weren't selling well.

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

It really does make sense to nix the 85. For our friends to the North, hold on. The exchange will moderate, as it always does. The tough part is waiting. Might sound good for the US right now. But it is killing our trade balance and hurting US companies. So I hope it comes down soon. As always, we can thank Wall Street for this.:cursing:

12. green1

green1 Active Member

The exchange is brutal right now, a fully stripped down 70 with no options starts at $90,400 plus taxes, and honestly, that's pretty generous of Tesla considering that with the actual exchange rate it should theoretically be $100,527

A fully loaded P90DL now costs $183,250 (should be $205,713)

Remember that our paycheques tend to assume the dollar is basically on par with the USA :(

13. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Next time a take a trip to Montreal and have 5 star 5 course meal for an Outback Steakhouse Price I will thank Wall Street.

Or when I buy an Asian made TV.

Or French wine.

Or Belgian Chocolate.

Or when I visit a Norwegian Fjord.

14. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Agree. If you are springing for 85 most will go for 90

15. Tellotes

Tellotes Member

Removed the 85 kWh battery in Canada?

Just read on teslarati that Tesla removed the 85kWh battery in Canada and is only offering 70D 90D P90D. The RWD option is removed all together. Just checked on Tesla here in the US nothing has changed. I wonder if were going to get hit with this and if so will the pricing drop on the 90kWh battery drop at all? What are your thoughts? I few weeks ago a rep in the Lenox Mall Tesla store in ATL said he thinks that Tesla would remove the 85kWh battery option since its so close to 90kWh it only made sense.

16. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

No more 85's in Canada?

Order page now just has 70, 70D, and 90D. No RWD option for the 90, and no 85's at all.

16k jump from 70D to 90D.

17. scott jones

scott jones Member

Exactly!

18. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

19. Navsarin

Navsarin Member

I purchased an 85D in Nov 15' for delivery this coming mid March 16'. Seems like if 85D's are all basically 2015's...then ill have a dated model the moment I receive it. All 2016+ will be associated with 90D's now. Asked Tesla abt it and they said Im welcome to switch my order at the new value of the 90D plus $500 fee. I purchased before the exchange rate increase Dec 1st so that's no help. I guess the question to current owners of 85D's...do you feel as I do that the $32-3700 extra for the 26 extra km was Not a good enough value? Or opposite? Would appreciate some feedback here thanks!

Nav

20. Spurkey

Spurkey P04251

It'll depend on your driving habits - do you forsee taking a lot of long trips? Are you in an area where chargers are few and far between? Will you be doing a lot of long-distance winter driving? Will you be travelling with passengers a lot (family/friends/business) that will get...excited... if you run the car low? If "yes" to any of those then you need to assign a dollar value to each of those questions and compare that to the upgrade cost.