Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Quietly Removes Wood Trim Interior Option for MS Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any other potential Plaid owners infuriated over the decision to remove the wood trim interior option from the Plaid models? It's no longer available on the configurator on the website. For some, the Long Range now offers a more luxury interior than the more expensive model. Wtf?

Not everybody loves carbon fiber, now I think the Plaid interior looks considerably cheaper and plastic. I would have preferred Tesla charge an extra fee for the wood option rather than remove it entirely.

Smooth move Tesal. This company really need to get better about communicating these nonsensical decisions so buyers can determine whether they are caused by supply shortages, or simply bad taste.

Reactions: TessP100D
Yeah this happened earlier in the week. I'm all for choice (despite refusing delivery of any Plaid other than one with carbon fiber - can't stand the old-man wood), but this is an odd one. Not even thinking it's a supply issue since the doubtless better-selling LR still has wood. Very odd.

Reactions: Muzzman1
Originally, the Plaid came with CF trim and the LR came with wood trim. CF was one of the things that was hung up with supply chain issues, so around May, they opened up the option to order Plaid with wood trim, I assume so they could start delivering some cars. This change would be reverting to the original plan, now that supply chain issues are resolved.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Originally, the Plaid came with CF trim and the LR came with wood trim. CF was one of the things that was hung up with supply chain issues, so around May, they opened up the option to order Plaid with wood trim, I assume so they could start delivering some cars. This change would be reverting to the original plan, now that supply chain issues are resolved.

Seems an odd choice, though, no? Why not continue to give people the choice on their flagship vehicle?

Reactions: DCEV and TessP100D
Seems an odd choice, though, no? Why not continue to give people the choice on their flagship vehicle?
It's a design choice--Elon wants it to look a certain way, like deleting the red brake calipers. One thing is does accomplish is provide some more visible differentiation between the Plaid and the LR, as I see a lot of folks complain the other differences are too subtle.

It's a design choice--Elon wants it to look a certain way, like deleting the red brake calipers. One thing is does accomplish is provide some more visible differentiation between the Plaid and the LR, as I see a lot of folks complain the other differences are too subtle.
But... but.... neither the LR nor Plaid has red brake calipers, so... really from the outside at a glance the only difference between the two models is the spoiler. I'm all for differentiating the two (it's ridiculous the LR and Plaid look identical, for all intents and purposes), but this seems a bit... meh.

Reactions: TessP100D
For that matter, what sort of communication about production changes does Tesla owe you as a “potential” owner?

It’s generally customary to pay the $250 and actually order a car before reaching infuriation. If you’re infuriated about “nonsensical decisions” with zero skin in the game, you are setting yourself up for a world of hurt with this company.

Yeah I never understood the allure of slathering carbon fiber all over a car but for people who like that, good for you, and different people can have different tastes.

It's just nice to have options. When I bought my car it too came with carbon fiber but thankfully I was able to replace it with oak trim that better matches the light interior of the car. Also got rid of the 21" wheels and replaced them with 19" wheels but with Pilot Sport tires.

This whole you bought a performance car and therefore you must like carbon fiber slathered all over the place with big ass wheels that have a hard time handling a pothole is getting a bit old.

They should just let customers pick the interior and wheel size they want but I guess this simplified manufacturing.

The good news is you can easily order the trim you want from the parts catalog and I was able to sell my CF trim which covered the cost of the trim I wanted plus the labor at the Service Center to swap the trim bits and install the trim I wanted.

Yeah I never understood the allure of slathering carbon fiber all over a car but for people who like that, good for you, and different people can have different tastes.

It's just nice to have options. When I bought my car it too came with carbon fiber but thankfully I was able to replace it with oak trim that better matches the light interior of the car. Also got rid of the 21" wheels and replaced them with 19" wheels but with Pilot Sport tires.

This whole you bought a performance car and therefore you must like carbon fiber slathered all over the place with big ass wheels that have a hard time handling a pothole is getting a bit old.

They should just let customers pick the interior and wheel size they want but I guess this simplified manufacturing.

The good news is you can easily order the trim you want from the parts catalog and I was able to sell my CF trim which covered the cost of the trim I wanted plus the labor at the Service Center to swap the trim bits and install the trim I wanted.
To be fair, the older Model Ss carbon fiber is pretty intense. It's much more subtle and... grown up (for lack of a better expression), in the new S. It's way more subtle, actually - much more so than the wood which is pretty in your face with the lighter seats.

Again, personally, it's carbon fiber and 21" wheels with better tires all the way, - especially for such a big, heavy car that needs as much lateral grip as it can get for that... sporty feel (again, from the factory options available). I get that this is America, though. Having straight-line fast cars is very American (I say that as a European). The handling and braking has historically been a secondary requirement, though things have of course improved in this regard in recent years.

Anyway, got lost down a different path there. Yes, more options is good. The end. :D

Whenever I see cars with wood grain interiors, I always think of this.

8b44a5844d_640.jpg

I hate plastic and plastic carbon fiber. The car is going to look much less worthy of a luxury interior label with fake everything on the interior, and it was struggling to this point. The reason there are very few color choices, and now even fewer interior trim choices, is Tesla is saving money and still charging the buyers more. BTW, $2500 for red exterior paint that sorta covers most of the intended surfaces is robbery. :)
Nonetheless, so far I really like my Tesla, and I paid the price !

I hate plastic and plastic carbon fiber. The car is going to look much less worthy of a luxury interior label with fake everything on the interior, and it was struggling to this point. The reason there are very few color choices, and now even fewer interior trim choices, is Tesla is saving money and still charging the buyers more. BTW, $2500 for red exterior paint that sorta covers most of the intended surfaces is robbery. :)
Nonetheless, so far I really like my Tesla, and I paid the price !
Who says the interior is plastic? Source?

Reactions: SBDPlaid
Of all the interior duckery Tesla has engaged in the vegan seats are far and away the best decision. They’re better than leather in every way.