Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Quietly Removes Wood Trim Interior Option for MS Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of all the interior duckery Tesla has engaged in the vegan seats are far and away the best decision. They’re better than leather in every way.

Agreed 100%. Love it. I had leather in many of my previous cars, and if it wasn't the paranoia about keeping them conditioned, it was the wrinkling from use etc that drove me nuts. Love the seats in the Plaid.

If it's not too difficult to swap that would be a great option if they do not offer it by the time my lease is up in June. Do you know how the trim is held in place? Adhesives?
I did the swap from Wood to Carbon in my 2022 MSLR. All the doors and rear cupholder are held in place by clips, very easy to swap. The front dash trim requires removing the display (not that hard to do) and the center console trim requires removing the console from the car and disassembling it.
Not for the faint of heart, but very doable if you know your way around a car.

That being said, if anyone is interested in my Ebony Wood decor, shoot me a PM.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
I did the swap from Wood to Carbon in my 2022 MSLR. All the doors and rear cupholder are held in place by clips, very easy to swap. The front dash trim requires removing the display (not that hard to do) and the center console trim requires removing the console from the car and disassembling it.
Not for the faint of heart, but very doable if you know your way around a car.

That being said, if anyone is interested in my Ebony Wood decor, shoot me a PM.

How much were all the parts? Want to swap my plaid to CF interior too from the wood

How much were all the parts? Want to swap my plaid to CF interior too from the wood
Below is a screenshot from DAErik's Youtube channel where he show the parts list and actually shows how to do the swap: (link to video:
) and as far as I know the rear cupholder is still not available in the parts list (I wrapped mine in vinyl).

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 4.25.54 PM.png

Below is a screenshot from DAErik's Youtube channel where he show the parts list and actually shows how to do the swap: (link to video:
) and as far as I know the rear cupholder is still not available in the parts list (I wrapped mine in vinyl).

View attachment 894697

Thx for list. Would be too worried to do this all myself. Would prob have to pay dealership. I emailed the dealership about the parts, but they never respond. Typical Tesla service

Seems an odd choice, though, no? Why not continue to give people the choice on their flagship vehicle?
Most of us would like more options/choices, but Tesla has purposely gone in the other direction, with as few options as possible. This makes inventory and production easier/faster and keeps the costs a bit lower. This is especially true for high-volume 3/Y, but the same approach has been applied to all Teslas. It makes ordering easier too. I don't totally agree with this strategy for the S/X, but I'm not running Tesla!

Still, they make great cars and I don't think they lose many customers for lack of options. Those that really want something different can customize it after purchase either as DIY or with many companies that offer such services.

On the other end of the spectrum is Porsche, which has hundreds of very expensive options on every car and can take a buyer a long time to sort through the options they want.