Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Quits Service on Roadsters!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MT3B

May 10, 2017
USA
Took the Roadster to the Raleigh NC Tesla Service Center and they said they won't service it anymore. Closest place for service is Marietta, GA! Thats a 6 hour drive. So they basically just orphaned all current Roadsters. This is horrible news. Will they also do this for Model S over a certain age? What a way to support those who supported the company over the years. We are so very disappointed!!

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
This is a symptom that Tesla has problems sustaining roadster competence within their organization. We see it in my country too, with only one location servicing roadsters here in the southeastern part. Luckily for me, it is only a one hour drive away from my place. Six hours would be frustrating, that's for sure. Concentrating the roadster competence at certain sites is probably an economically feasible way of sustaining the technical quality of the service. So far, that seems to work, but it is a cause for worry about the future, of course.

Ouch.

That Raleigh NC service center's management probably thought there weren't any Roadsters left in its service area. Or maybe the one tech familiar with the Roadster got a new job.

I think part of the problem is very few people inside Tesla are familiar with the Roadster. When the Roadster was being made, Tesla had just a few hundred employees, including the service techs. Now it has over 70000. Tesla employees who were around for the Roadster are needles in a haystack in this now giant company. With maybe only a couple hundred qualified people worldwide (most of them in California), the sheer odds that one of them is close to where you live gets pretty low.

Model S owners have much less to worry about. There were only ~2500 Roadsters ever built, versus some ~300k Model S. A much larger customer base justifies training more techs.

Took the Roadster to the Raleigh NC Tesla Service Center and they said they won't service it anymore. Closest place for service is Marietta, GA! Thats a 6 hour drive. So they basically just orphaned all current Roadsters. This is horrible news. Will they also do this for Model S over a certain age? What a way to support those who supported the company over the years. We are so very disappointed!!
Well that just sucks. Very concerning. They know of my roadster. I’m in Cary and at some point will need service. They have never touched my car but I’ve had it there to deal with drop off of our Model3, etc. They were always positive about the car and indicated they would have no issues with servicing it in the future. Had the ranger come and do the free fix on the Model3 pin for the charging door and also added the Dual Motor badge. He seemed to know a lot about the roadster and indicated they service several in the Raleigh area. Taking a roadster to Georgia for service isn’t acceptable. Love the car but must say extremely disappointed in Tesla. 🤬

I have one update. The Raleigh SC agreed to see my roadster for the HVAC cooling issue I was having that is covered in another thread. Of course the appointment was 3 weeks out, so I decided to take matters in my own hands and recharged the system with a can of R134a refrigerant. Appointment is August 17. Not sure if I will keep it but at least they are willing to resolve my issue.

Reactions: Gabner
I have one update. The Raleigh SC agreed to see my roadster for the HVAC cooling issue I was having that is covered in another thread. Of course the appointment was 3 weeks out, so I decided to take matters in my own hands and recharged the system with a can of R134a refrigerant. Appointment is August 17. Not sure if I will keep it but at least they are willing to resolve my issue.
Yeah, forgot up update this thread. I took the car into the Raleigh SC and they seemed confused. Girl at front desk went into the back and 10 minutes later said they had made a mistake and they would not service my car. WTF. Took half day off work to drive to other side of the city and she didn’t seem too concerned by inconveniencing me. I was so pissed. Said the Charlotte SC was the only one in NC that would service roadsters. They don’t care.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gremlin
Yeah, forgot up update this thread. I took the car into the Raleigh SC and they seemed confused. Girl at front desk went into the back and 10 minutes later said they had made a mistake and they would not service my car. WTF. Took half day off work to drive to other side of the city and she didn’t seem too concerned by inconveniencing me. I was so pissed. Said the Charlotte SC was the only one in NC that would service roadsters. They don’t care.
A few folks in the Roadsters Owners' Facebook page been teasing me the money I threw into my car. Easy for them to say who live on the West coast that can make drives to near Pete or CM_007 shop. Here on the east coast, good luck.

Tyco SC has 2-3 Roadster mechanics that are share amongst the Rockville, Tyco and I can't recall the other service center. Why I had such a long laundry list for Medlock & Sons to perform on my car.

We just moved from Tucson this year to the Chicago area, had great service at the SC in Tucson, they actually have a qualified tech that was one of the orginal tech when Tesla started out.
Had a tech come to our house to perform some warranty work on our Model Y and he looked at the Roadster and didn't have a clue what it was and didn't seem interested in talking about it.

We just moved from Tucson this year to the Chicago area, had great service at the SC in Tucson, they actually have a qualified tech that was one of the orginal tech when Tesla started out.
Had a tech come to our house to perform some warranty work on our Model Y and he looked at the Roadster and didn't have a clue what it was and didn't seem interested in talking about it.
That seems to be the case country wide. We lost our roadster tech in Tampa, FL SC. I was told they now have a “traveling roadster engineer” that comes to SC’s in FL.

Services with Tesla stinks overall even with non-roadster vehicles. My MX took over a month to fix a warranty issue and all along they did not offered a loaner, even with me requesting, no updates unless I texted them, and returned the car dirtier than when the tow truck dropped it off. I give them a F- for service.

Last time I had a mobile tech over...
"How does the Lotus compare to Tesla?"
"It's a Roadster."
"I know, but how does it compare to Tesla? You're the first Tesla owner I've met who also has a Lotus."

😒

• Funny
Reactions: Gremlin and eHorses
Elon has your money.
Elon doesn't care once he has your money.\
Get used to it