TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla racing Qantas 737s now

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Blue heaven, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

Bored with racing V8 super cars Tesla is now racing Qantas 737s.

Tesla And Qantas Raced A Jet Against A Model S

disclaimer: racing your model S against passenger jets is not recommended ( unless you get runway clearance first)

• Like x 3
  2. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

3. WA-T3sla

WA-T3sla Member

The article mentions complimentary Qantas club membership to Model S owners?

4. bradjc

bradjc Member

Tesla's partnership with Qantas looks like it will come with some perks, nice!

5. paulp

paulp Member

QC membership and charging stations at airport valet parking:)

6. TesAus

TesAus Member

They need to train their staff at the valet as to what a Tesla is then!

Checking in to Qantas valet parking on Good Friday in Sydney "oh so Tesla is the make.... Oh yes here it is. And what model is it...."

This despite the fact there was another model S in the queue in front of me.....

7. gcgp

gcgp Member

Me likey :)

8. Homer

Homer Member

Personally I would have preferred it if Tesla had made this deal with Virgin instead. I gave up flying the red rat years ago.

• Like x 1
  9. timpoo

timpoo Member

Depending on what the membership entails, we'll switch from Virgin to Qantas.

10. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Qantas Club ain't the nicest lounge, I have to say....
    Nice thought, though.
    Now, if it were the Business or first class lounge, with OS reciprocal rights, I'd be hugely impressed...

11. Homer

Homer Member

Yes, bog-standard Qantas Club membership isn't very appealing. These days isn't it overflowing with people in high-vis vests? But if they make it domestic Qantas Business Lounge membership then that's at least a bit tempting.

12. alpal

alpal Member

I'm like you Homer - wish I wasn't - would love to buy/support Australian - maybe time to give them another try?

13. Homer

Homer Member

I think QF's foreign ownership is capped at 49%, whereas VA doesn't have that and it's about 90% foreign owned. I hear you on supporting a company that is more locally owned than another one, but using that logic I'd have been buying from an Australian-owned car company, at least while they still existed, instead of a majority US-owned one such as Tesla ;). But, yep, if the offer looks good enough then I might give QF another shot at least domestically. Internationally it's another story - I've become hooked on the fresher hard and soft product up at the pointy end of VA's partners SQ, EY and even NZ :).

14. paulp

paulp Member

Best come to Adelaide then, there is no seperate business lounge here, although I do enjoy walking through the overcrowded lounges at melb and syd into the much quieter business lounges.
    I wonder if this answers the typical question I always get. "So can it get to melbourne". I guess that answer just got a nice touch to it.
    I think tesla have done well on this. What other car company would provide you a complimentary airline lounge access a year after theyve taken your cash? Doesn't matter if its qantas or virgin (I prefer qantas), either way its a very big statement about the quality of their after sales care.....as was replacing that RDIO issue.....but.....would have been nice if we recieved a personal email rather than finding out on-line.
    Indeed the reaction I got today from people I told was sincere shock. No-one expects car companies to be like this. Makes purchasing even more compelling.

15. maccaj22

maccaj22 Member

Hmmmm this makes things difficult. I much prefer Virgin but could be swayed by certain perks.

16. TesAus

TesAus Member

Isn't Qantas Club basically access to the business lounge without buying a business class ticket?

Yes the business class lounge often has people in (clean) hi-vis. They are generally off to mining sites to earn 200k+ a year FIFO....

First class lounge is a lot nicer, but you either need to be a platinum frequent flyer or have bought a first class ticket.

17. JordanM

JordanM Member

I have lifetime Gold membership so if it's just Gold it's of no use to me. However, Platinum would be great! From memory the Qantas valet rates are pretty extortionate. Maybe if we get a discount on that or a number of free days per year.

18. alpal

alpal Member

Wholeheartedly agree!

19. Homer

Homer Member

No, domestic Qantas Club is the entry-level lounge that you can buy membership to. It's full of people in short sleeve shirts, high-vis vests and talking loudly on mobile phones ;). The domestic Qantas Business lounge is a step up, for business class and Qantas Platinum frequent flyers. There is no domestic first class lounge, only international, and only in Sydney and Melbourne. My reading of the press materials is that this tie-up relates only to the domestic lounges. In any case Qantas is limited in what it can do internationally due to its airline partners and issues around reciprocal rights so I wouldn't expect this would extend past the dom terminals.

20. ColinA

ColinA Member

Valet rates are about 50% more than regular parking at the airport.