Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Radar Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I turned the sentry mode and did a thermal scan with a FLIR one and I saw left side(looking at the car from front) of the front bumper lighting up.

Interesting that Sentry mode would use the radar sensor. I thought it was video-only even on cars with ultrasonics and radar.

FYI Here's what the old radar looked like in the Model Y:

1670633648562.png

Interesting that Sentry mode would use the radar sensor.
I could be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that on cars that had the old radar system (like mine does), the radar was active any time the car was "awake," and Sentry Mode does keep the car awake.

So it's not really a matter of Sentry Mode using the radar, it's just that the car is awake so the radar is active.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
Did some digging and found a harness listed in EPC for MY that most likely indicate a Continental advanced radar sensor - first attachment

I have a '23 MY that I took delivery recently. It's been parked in my garage without sentry mode on for a few days. I turned the sentry mode and did a thermal scan with a FLIR one and I saw left side (looking at the car from front) of the front bumper lighting up. Its to the left of where the license plate would go and kind of matches the shape of the bracket someone else posted on twitter. The picture I took is not that clear, but should show the hot spot.

My theory (and hope) is that '23 models have the radar and new cameras and potentially HW4 already. Tesla still have '22 inventory that they are tryin to clear before making this announcement.

View attachment 883275View attachment 883276View attachment 883277
No idea what kind of signature we could expect to see. I find it hard to believe no one has dropped the bumper on a 23 M3/MY yet, it is really easy to do, especially now without the USS harness.

Interesting that Sentry mode would use the radar sensor. I thought it was video-only even on cars with ultrasonics and radar.

FYI Here's what the old radar looked like in the Model Y:
Thanks a lot Gauss. I rechecked and the the position of the hotspot approximately match the right side location. Either the picture was flipped or my camera wasnt aligned. Anyways, I pulled opened the rectangle piece of plastic that holds the frunk light/release today and checked the harness on the right side. I couldn't see or confirm if the radar unit is present, but the, the label on the harness matches the new items on the EPC "ASY,HARN,FEM HARNESS,CONTI ARS TERM". If you want to check @THEbuz, point a flashlight to the side and try to read the harness label circled below.
Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 3.48.29 PM.png

IMG_0364.jpg

Thanks a lot Gauss. I rechecked and the the position of the hotspot approximately match the right side location. Either the picture was flipped or my camera wasnt aligned. Anyways, I pulled opened the rectangle piece of plastic that holds the frunk light/release today and checked the harness on the right side. I couldn't see or confirm if the radar unit is present, but the, the label on the harness matches the new items on the EPC "ASY,HARN,FEM HARNESS,CONTI ARS TERM". If you want to check @THEbuz, point a flashlight to the side and try to read the harness label circled below.
View attachment 883570
View attachment 883571
Thx!

View attachment 883570
View attachment 883571
"TERM CAP" listed in the EPC is likely a "Termination Cap" used to protect the radar connector pins when the radar was removed. It might also be required to add terminating resistors or jumper wires depending on the bus requirements. Some data busses do not take kindly to having open stubs. Nonetheless, leaving the connector unterminated could be problematic should Tesla decide to reinstall the radar due to corrosion or dirt.

@Supcom I think you are right. My theory was most likely wrong.

It probably means the termination cap. The blue cap must be for the radar connector. The part number on the cap isn't in the EPC, must be part of the harness.

Looking at the area, retrofitting one might not be that difficult. It could be a mobile service job if it will use the same connector and the the mounting points for the radar bracket are available.

IMG_0377.jpg

Pretty sure that’s a generic layout image not confirmation that anything is there or it would be green.
Thought green meant “active”, red means “problem” and “grey” means inactive. Poking around other areas of service mode there are other features I definitely know I have (like windows going up and down) that it’s grey for since it’s not being used.

More breaking news today:

Magna International is set to acquire Veoneer Active Safety:

Implications: Veoneer partnered with Arbe (Pheonix Radar chipset).

Magna is introducing its "first to market" 360 HD Radar with the Uhnder chipset on the Fisker Ocean, with first deliveries expected 1st Quarter 2023. Now having acquired Veoneer Active Safety, they will be the first TIER1 assembler/supplier to bring the Ultra High Definition Arbe chipset to the Western Market. Arbe is set to deliver its first mass production chipsets in late 2023, with vehicles hitting consumer markets in 2024.

Look up the Magna Steyr factory in Austria for a list of current and past OEM models they've manufactured for several auto makers. They are looking to build a similar Magna factory in the US to take advantage of the US EV credits.

Most likely, Tesla sees the Fisker Ocean as direct competition to the Model Y, and needs to up its safety features which 360 radar brings. Abandoning USS may be indicative of Tesla putting not one, but up to 5+ radars in cars starting Q1 2023.

Do you think they will offer a HW4 upgrade or retrofit? Is that realistically possible if that requires a new chipset, board, radar(s), cameras, maybe new headlights, etc.?
What do we think it will cost to do that based on whatever history we have available on this topic?

Why was the back of the cars that were spotted in Santa Cruz / bay area, covered up? Do you think there is a radar being added to the back of the vehicles as well? If yes then will a retrofit in the back be possible?
I hear that the harness and wiring for the radar were left in place even in the front, even for the 2023 cars but I have no idea if that is the case for the back too.

Do you think they will offer a HW4 upgrade or retrofit? Is that realistically possible if that requires a new chipset, board, radar(s), cameras, maybe new headlights, etc.?
What do we think it will cost to do that based on whatever history we have available on this topic?

Why was the back of the cars that were spotted in Santa Cruz / bay area, covered up? Do you think there is a radar being added to the back of the vehicles as well? If yes then will a retrofit in the back be possible?
I hear that the harness and wiring for the radar were left in place even in the front, even for the 2023 cars but I have no idea if that is the case for the back too.
The car has front and rear covered to mask sheet metal styling changes.

Reactions: Boza
I don't think extensive retrofitting is very likely.

Significant installation burden.
Any major change presumably needs regulatory approval.
Might require internal camera to be added.
Higher speed busses?
Multiple screen aspect support?

Testing / proving performance across legacy models expensive, difficult to manage, troublesome to maintain etc. And for what benefit to Tesla? Not making a few additional new car sales? (not a benefit) Keeping legacy cars on the road longer (not a benefit to Tesla).

If Tesla have an unavoidable obligation to legacy cars it would almost make sense to offer the few remaining legacy owners a 'too good to refuse' trade in deal on to new car. But only worth doing if the new vehicles actually deliver a relatively finished FSD product.

Last edited: