Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Radar Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have known this from just looking at the Dashcam, but Sandy Munro's team showed there is a decent blind spot directly in front of the front bumper from the cameras that Tesla will have no sensor information about when USS is removed.
View attachment 864870
Well, the car has no _current_ information about objects in the blind spot. However, hasn't Tesla spoken about "object persistence" before, perhaps in relation to the occupancy network? The car could "remember" objects it saw while moving forward, before they moved into the blind spot. This would work with parking, for example, although you'd have to wonder how it would handle "de novo" situations such as starting the car from a position where it had been parked for some time.

Well, the car has no _current_ information about objects in the blind spot. However, hasn't Tesla spoken about "object persistence" before, perhaps in relation to the occupancy network? The car could "remember" objects it saw while moving forward, before they moved into the blind spot. This would work with parking, for example, although you'd have to wonder how it would handle "de novo" situations such as starting the car from a position where it had been parked for some time.
Sentry mode, or a simplified version thereof could solve object persistence while parked.

Alternatively, the car could back up a bit before going forward.

• Informative
Reactions: Olle
Well trying to remember is there was an obstruction will not work for solutions like this:
1666436811035.png

Where if you park into a spot where a post will come out of ground...

Sentry mode, or a simplified version thereof could solve object persistence while parked.

Alternatively, the car could back up a bit before going forward.
True, but wouldn't it have been a lot simpler to just leave the ultrasonic sensors in?

I mean, really. They've been used and optimized for this exact purpose-- low speed detection of nearby objects-- for decades. They work as near to perfectly as one could hope. What possible reason could Elon have to remove them?

You know how well the "Tesla Vision*" rain sensing wipers work? Yeah, I think it's gonna be like that, but with more bumper damage.

(* I'm pretty sure Elon has never used the phrase "Tesla Vision" when describing the current rain sensing wiper implementation. But still.)

Haha, well if you park in one of those lots and just blindly count on FSD to somehow get you out from behind those poles, then I think it's fair to say that you'll get what you deserve.

Also, if you own a parking lot and put those things in, you're probably not quite getting what you deserve.
What about when/if (noticed a big if since I believe L3 will be max) we get L4/L5. Then the car will be true FSD and you won't be driving. Is it still fair to say "...that you'll get what you deserve" if you are a mile away and the car is coming to pick you up (Elon's dream/but what if)?

• Funny
Reactions: Boza
What about when/if (noticed a big if since I believe L3 will be max) we get L4/L5. Then the car will be true FSD and you won't be driving. Is it still fair to say "...that you'll get what you deserve" if you are a mile away and the car is coming to pick you up (Elon's dream/but what if)?
This 100%...

I think Tesla is painting itself into a corner with camera only AP/FSD. They're going to spend nearly a decade proving it won't work for L3/4/5 with millions of obsolescent cars produced that can't reach the advertised false promise.

Meanwhile, you've got ICE OEMs with similar limited capabilities as FSD coming full force into the EV market, offering advanced sensor suites that Tesla isnt even going to entertain the idea of (Hubris?).

True, but wouldn't it have been a lot simpler to just leave the ultrasonic sensors in?

I mean, really. They've been used and optimized for this exact purpose-- low speed detection of nearby objects-- for decades. They work as near to perfectly as one could hope. What possible reason could Elon have to remove them?

You know how well the "Tesla Vision*" rain sensing wipers work? Yeah, I think it's gonna be like that, but with more bumper damage.

(* I'm pretty sure Elon has never used the phrase "Tesla Vision" when describing the current rain sensing wiper implementation. But still.)
So true. Crappy car company just keeps making the cars worse. Next update will remove the drivetrain and be touted by Elon as amazing new feature which keeps the driver in shape by making us push our cars like Fred Flintstone.

The strategy may be to keep raising the price and removing sensors, while keeping a skeleton crew going to justify the FSD scam. As long as they keep ”working” on it, they don’t have to return any money, and by continually raising the price, reduce and eventually eliminate new customers. One by one, those of us who bought into this will move on…

The strategy may be to keep raising the price and removing sensors, while keeping a skeleton crew going to justify the FSD scam. As long as they keep ”working” on it, they don’t have to return any money, and by continually raising the price, reduce and eventually eliminate new customers. One by one, those of us who bought into this will move on…
Have you seen how much progress they’ve made in the past year? Even if FSD never gets past L3 it’s not for lack of trying or a “skeleton crew”. More likely the price increases will cover retrofitting older cars, and even that isn’t a sure thing.

Much as we all tire of Elon's bombast, absurdly optimistic predictions, and frequent price increases, out here in Reality Land the improvements in FSD have been dramatic. Will it ever achieve L3 or higher status? I dunno, but it's pretty useful right now. I have several routes I use frequently, like a 15-mile trek to the gym three times a week, that are zero intervention drives (from my driveway to the gym parking lot, including highway entrance and exit) more often than not.

A recent 4,400-mile trip from Reno to Nashville and back was probably 95%+ under autopilot/FSD control.

In other words there's no indication that it's a scam of any sort, not do I think they're trying to eliminate new customers with price increases (although that certainly is a side effect.)

This is the main if not only reason I have not sold my MS R. But so far Tesla have given no reason for me to believe they will ever honour any of the FSD promises especially in UK where the regulators have no reason to accept Tesla's failures with FSD on to the road here. I think there is a good chance that if they drag things out for another 5 or so years, disabling existing features and detracting from any obligation to deliver FSD to original purchasers, those earlier cars will eventually cease to be much of an issue.

If they were really serious, the car would be able to figure out the speed limit without referencing bad map data. (Humans can figure it out pretty well). If they were really serious, the car would drive on the right side of the road. Seems like they are trying to put a roof on a building without knowing where the walls are.

Reactions: H43lio