Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla raises Model Y price again (111121)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like a lot of what Tesla is building in the Model Y; but I think they’re latest and cumulative price raises are pure greed. I get it’s supply and demand, and they can do whatever they want,
but wouldn’t they get more people to ditch ICE cars for EVs if they were more affordable. Isn’t that Tesla.s mission? Of course they would.

The justification argument (rationalization) all over the blogosphere is that the hopefully coming incentives bring the price down $7500.
Of course this is great, but that $7500 is coming out of our pockets, it’s our tax dollars. It is not coming out of Tesla. This is adding to the US debt and it’s benefitting Tesla.

So Tesla, on a LR Model Y, a car that was $52K several months ago, wants
another $7K plus. As of yesterday the price of the Model Y LR is $58990 Then add the destination for $1200 and the price is $60,190.

I want to believe in Tesla, but moves like this, the relative incompleteness of their cars, the quality control and lack of spare tire or run flats is putting a bad taste in my mouth.

The line to buy a model Y goes out to at least October 2022 for a bunch of configurations.

They are doing fine selling them. This topic is being beaten to death. If you aren’t happy with the price, buy something else.

And you would be hard pressed to find too many new production vehicles that come with a spare tire, or even space to store one. I don’t see how this is a knock against them, when every other manufacturer doesn’t include spares.

Reactions: hcdavis3 and voxel
Like I wrote, they can do whatever they want . It just feels so opportunistic.
The Tesla superior drivetrain, batteries and range eclipse the shortcomings but it bugs me.
I think your code assumption is wrong. The current price hikes have nothing to do with the future incentives.

I do think if the tax credit is passed that Tesla will raise prices by $5K more. The current set of price hikes is due to supply chain issues… like Tesla having to fly parts instead of slow boating, cost of steel, cost of shipping in the US.

All of this is moot because I seriously doubt the tax credit will pass as written (uncapped for 10 years). EVs are in high demand and suffer from supply/production issues (Mach-E has 8-10 month waits).All the new tax credits will do is inflate prices more.

I’ve seen some used prices online for over $75k on model Y.

There is just a huge market adjustment right now. It’s definitely not a $75k vehicle even new…..but if people will pay that much, they will charge that much.

I’ve seen some used prices online for over $75k on model Y.

There is just a huge market adjustment right now. It’s definitely not a $75k vehicle even new…..but if people will pay that much, they will charge that much.

I would ignore small dealers that specialize for niche groups (i.e in Orlando there's a dealer that caters to wealthy Brazilian tourists and have the highest used car prices I've seen).

I've only seen Model Y LR as high as $68K. Performance as high as $77K. Still... that's at least a few thousand over MSRP new.