TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla raising $2 billion to fund the Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Gilzo, May 18, 2016.

1. Gilzo

Gilzo Member

• Informative x 1
  2. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

As you say, we knew this was coming. It seems reasonable.

3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

4. Gilzo

Gilzo Member

Oh I don't know...maybe. But to me, if there's newsworthy content that involves the Model 3, it belongs right here.

5. Steepler2k

Steepler2k Member

Both places seem like reasonable venues to discuss.

$2bn seems a touch on the low side given the aggressive schedule, but I'm in a completely different field.

6. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

I have read various reports that Tesla has been upgrading its production facilities for some time now in anticipation of Model 3 production. A new stamping press has 10-20x the capacity of the unit it replaced: Tesla plant-capacity increases point to Model 3 preparations. More robots are also mentioned.

There's also the new paint shop, which has been the recent subject of controversy over the wages and working conditions of sub-contractors. This paint shop is supposed to be able to handle painting up to 500,000 cars per year.

I am not in the manufacturing business, but I imagine that Tesla will spend that 1.4B raised (The total raise is 2B, but the net will be 1.4B with 0.6B used by Elon to pay federal/state taxes on exercised options) on: (1) Continuing Gigafactory construction to ensure battery supply (2) Building out the Model 3 assembly line (3) Final R&D on Model 3 design (4) Working with suppliers on component specifications and mass production (5) Expanding Service Centers to handle additional volume of cars.

7. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

What are people's guesses about how this new chunk of publicly available stock will affect TSLA share price? Maybe they would make a different class of stock, like Under Armour did recently (UA and UA.C)?

I wonder also if any of this additional capital would be used to build production capacity in China, since they are dying to get in there and have a physical production facility to avoid import taxes.

8. djplong

djplong Member

Oh what a plunge - a whole one half of one percent as of a few seconds ago...

9. Big-T

Big-T Member

I'm wondering that too, I'm headed over to the investor threads to see if anyone's talking about it (I'm sure they are)

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member