Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Raising Price of FSD to $15,000, AI Director States "We Can Build a Car That Never Crashes"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After FSD Beta 10.69 successfully rolled out to Tesla owners last night, Elon Musk tweeted that once it is released to all FSD Beta participants, the price of the FSD package will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000 on September 5th. The current price will be honored for any orders placed before September 5th.

Another price increase seems like a reassurance that FSD will come to fruition soon. Tesla's Autopilot Software director Ashok Elluswamy shares additional information regarding the progress Tesla has made in FSD Beta 10.69: a huge change introduced in this update are "Occupancy Networks," which Elluswamy states are "our approach to solve general obstacle detection and using it to enable sophisticated collision avoidance." He claims that these occupancy networks are so important in solving self-driving that "when we execute on this plan we can build a car that literally never crashes."

Tesla enthusiast @WholeMarsBlog on Twitter shares their first 35-minute drive with FSD Beta 10.69, highlighting the significant changes Tesla has made in this update.

FSD Beta tester Chuck Cook @Chazman (who also snuck into the v10.69 release notes) also shared a video testing how FSD Beta 10.69 handles turns. "It wasn't very smooth, but it was adjusting its course so it can continue without a full stop," referring to the unprotected left turn his car had just executed.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 11.50.25 AM.png

Credit: Chuck Cook on YouTube

We're hoping all the changes that need to be fixed by 10.69.2 will provide more reasoning for Tesla's sudden price increase in FSD Beta 10.69. We can only hope this means Tesla is seriously getting closer to solving the self-driving problem, and we will certainly see how the changes allowing video and map data to simultaneously help FSD Beta learn to drive will affect not only how it drives now, but in the near future.

He claims that these occupancy networks are so important in solving self-driving that "when we execute on this plan we can build a car that literally never crashes."

I think he is just talking about the car not hitting static objects because it did not detect them. Tesla hopes to eliminate those types of crashes. Obviously, there will be cases where other cars hit you that you cannot avoid. Additionally, there will be conditions like heavy rain or heavy fog where the cameras will have lower visibility and might still crash. I don't think Tesla can literally promise no crashes ever.

I think he is just talking about the car not hitting static objects because it did not detect them. Tesla hopes to eliminate those types of crashes. Obviously, there will be cases where other cars hit you that you cannot avoid. Additionally, there will be conditions like heavy rain or heavy fog where the cameras might have lower visibility and might still crash. I don't think Tesla can literally promise no crashes ever.

Thanks for the comment! Yeah, I think so too. Tesla can't avoid all crashes because that would be physically impossible, but having a clearer understanding of what's around it is definitely a huge improvement in preventing crashes with static and non-static objects.

...heavy rain or heavy fog...

Throughout the years, Tesla has said that its system is soon mature enough to drive itself, so this is just another promise that needs to be put in Dan O'dowd's 40 MPH in a traffic-cone lane against the mannequin as proof. I would demand a test at 90 MPH and not just 40 MPH this time!

Current Tesla collisions happen in good clear scenarios such as a slow-speed smart summons on a parking lot or high-speed collisions against crossing tractor-trailers, stationary first responder vehicles...

Let's see the proof in good clear weather first, then maybe we can ask for bad blinding weather later!

Last edited:
Just more grifting. They're running out of suckers who will buy it at $12k. People seem to have forgotten that if you beta test something for a company, they should be paying you.
You don't seem to understand how that works. I'll break it down for you. Let's take the oldest profession in the world.

You can get it for free. But what are you getting?
You can pay for it. But what are you getting?
You can get paid for it. But what are you getting?

Now, put FSD against the competition on the market. Does that help?

(Edit)

Of course, one's proficiency & enjoyment in an activity will factor into it.

Disclaimer:
<--- This guy only bought EAP and didn't think FSD is worth it. Instead, he put FSD money into TSLA and hopes TSLA outpaces FSD inflation.

Last edited:
Except FSD doesn’t add the value invested in it. Even if you bought it at the low low price of $5,000 all in.

I agree, it’s almost worthless right now, but I would say it is worth some small percentage of what they charge. If 10.69 really is a noticeable improvement, the actual value could increase from $2k to $3k (for example…just making up numbers).

You don't seem to understand how that works. I'll break it down for you. Let's take the oldest profession in the world.

You can get it for free. But what are you getting?
You can pay for it. But what are you getting?
You can get paid for it. But what are you getting?

Now, put FSD against the competition on the market. Does that help?

(Edit)

Of course, one's proficiency & enjoyment in an activity will factor into it.

There is a cost to everything, and liability associated with the activity.

Odds are if you're on the short end of the deal then the other individual took advantage of you using some kind of manipulation tactic or they took advantage of the social economic disparity present at the time of the transaction.

In any given situation there will be a supply of individuals that are easy to take advantage of.

Fools that are easy to part from their money because they simply don't place a high value on it
People that suffer from mental health issues who can't make good decisions when it comes to their bodies, and money
People excited by future potential. They don't have as much money, but their strong hope for the potential leads them to invest a lot of themselves into whatever you promise them.
People that are vulnerable to charismatic people who need to feel a part of something. They might not buy your product/services, but they'll sell the heck out of it.

Trying to protect those people from falling for scams, and predatory monsters is only human.

Reactions: Ramphex