Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Raising Price of FSD to $15,000, AI Director States "We Can Build a Car That Never Crashes"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After FSD Beta 10.69 successfully rolled out to Tesla owners last night, Elon Musk tweeted that once it is released to all FSD Beta participants, the price of the FSD package will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000 on September 5th. The current price will be honored for any orders placed before September 5th.

Another price increase seems like a reassurance that FSD will come to fruition soon. Tesla's Autopilot Software director Ashok Elluswamy shares additional information regarding the progress Tesla has made in FSD Beta 10.69: a huge change introduced in this update are "Occupancy Networks," which Elluswamy states are "our approach to solve general obstacle detection and using it to enable sophisticated collision avoidance." He claims that these occupancy networks are so important in solving self-driving that "when we execute on this plan we can build a car that literally never crashes."

Tesla enthusiast @WholeMarsBlog on Twitter shares their first 35-minute drive with FSD Beta 10.69, highlighting the significant changes Tesla has made in this update.

FSD Beta tester Chuck Cook @Chazman (who also snuck into the v10.69 release notes) also shared a video testing how FSD Beta 10.69 handles turns. "It wasn't very smooth, but it was adjusting its course so it can continue without a full stop," referring to the unprotected left turn his car had just executed.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 11.50.25 AM.png

Credit: Chuck Cook on YouTube

We're hoping all the changes that need to be fixed by 10.69.2 will provide more reasoning for Tesla's sudden price increase in FSD Beta 10.69. We can only hope this means Tesla is seriously getting closer to solving the self-driving problem, and we will certainly see how the changes allowing video and map data to simultaneously help FSD Beta learn to drive will affect not only how it drives now, but in the near future.

"Vandalism, theft, and other such issues are a given".

I believe we still have a long way on the technical issues before we have to worry about thwarting the criminal. Rental car companies have done a pretty good job of mitigating their risks in this regard so compared to the technical side, this is on the minimal side of things.
I think the equivalent is something like Turo (personal vehicles rented out), where risk I guess is dealt with by insurance and vetting of customers. I personally would not want to rent out my vehicle, but plenty of people do.

But I think the main general personal L4 vehicle application would be the car picking you up and dropping you off and also it driving when there are occasions you can't drive (like if you had a drink or want to rest). Does not necessarily have to be robotaxis.

It was linked already, but watching the original, the part where he talks about the car not crashing, is talking about a safety system (not necessarily FSD Beta) where for example if an inattentive driver was on the accelerator, the car would try to map out a way to avoid a collision. Seems like an interesting system and in context doesn't seem too far fetched. In the presentation, the car does make predictions and there are cases where it does predict a collision is unavoidable. And the objects also were static, so dynamic objects obviously will change things.

Reactions: EVNow
15K outrageous. I was on FSD NAP on a 2 lane road. No other cars around. Car in front of me stopped, signalling red. What does car do? Chime, hilight the car red and almost keep going on until I slam brakes and change lanes to the right. I sense a class action suit coming up
Class action suit for raising prices ? 🤣

F652D8AC-1F35-4F6A-BB23-ED66829162E7_4_5005_c.jpeg

for the poultry sum of only $15,000 you too can experience FSD and all of its amazing features. Step right behind the curtain and see what you have paid $15,000 for. You will be amazed. You will be startled. You will be shocked. You won't be "mhhmmmhmm" be disappointed.

FSD pricing (for an advanced L2 ADAS system) has really gotten out of control especially for something promised literally years ago.

Like many I pre-paid for FSD 4 times now and been burned 3 time with it (still have our 2017 Model X with FSD). I did NOT and WILL NOT pre-pay for FSD again. I am currently renting it and if the Monthly rent goes up commiserate with the new price tag then I will bail on it too. At least until 2035 when it may actually work. 🤣

Last edited:
It’s for a unique experience. It may not be worth it for you but stupid to assume everyone who buys is gullible. It’s like the expensive BlueOrigin flight.
There's a market for everything. Some people make themselves feel better about their personal financial situation by belittling things they can't afford easily. I personally can't afford a yacht, but it doesn't mean the people who buy them are morons. It takes a lot to build a yacht. Resources, which make money for the people supplying those resources. Engineers, architects, builders, etc. all earning income from that yacht. Same for FSD. Lots of time and money from thousands of people to produce FSD. And tens of thousands of people found value in it and purchased it.

Another facet of human behavior is the need to commiserate. If you're feeling down, you want to talk to others who are feeling down as well - makes you feel normal. The problem is when you want everyone else to feel down, even though they are not. For example: Person A is having a bad day. Person B is having a great day, and tells Person A about their great day. Person A says "Nope, you're not having a great day - you're mistaken." Same for FSD. Some people have a bad experience with FSD, and some have a great experience with it. The problem comes when the former tells the latter they are wrong and stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
Chicken feed will soon cost that at the pace we’re going.
According to one source, feeding a flock of 25 egg laying hens cost about $1700 per year. So, FSD, at $15K costs as much as chicken feed for 8.8 years.

Since one should easily be able to keep a Tesla for 9 years, I'd say that you could equate FSD cost to chicken feed.

According to one source, feeding a flock of 25 egg laying hens cost about $1700 per year. So, FSD, at $15K costs as much as chicken feed for 8.8 years.

Since one should easily be able to keep a Tesla for 9 years, I'd say that you could equate FSD cost to chicken feed.
Yes, but what about the profit from selling those eggs. Please do the full P&L accounting. 😏

I found NOA quite useful for my long drives back and forth LA to San Francisco. I am a 75 years old ex electrical engineer and want some help on the long drives by myself. Just treat FSD beta (Auto Steer on City Streets) as an expensive toy, you will be OK. No one has any exciting games/toy with real cars which could drive by itself. Hahaha. The other EVs are getting there, but their Supercharger networks are no good!

Last edited:
Reactions: KrazinAz
did he just compare a Yacht..something tangible that you get exactly what you are paying for, something that you can even resell or trade in and get (in some cases..unusual but it can happen, like current car market) MORE money than you paid sometimes..

to....FSD? SURELY there HAS to be a better comparison to go against. haha
How about the part about people complaining about things because they can't afford them? 😂