Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Raising Price of FSD to $15,000, AI Director States "We Can Build a Car That Never Crashes"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After FSD Beta 10.69 successfully rolled out to Tesla owners last night, Elon Musk tweeted that once it is released to all FSD Beta participants, the price of the FSD package will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000 on September 5th. The current price will be honored for any orders placed before September 5th.

Another price increase seems like a reassurance that FSD will come to fruition soon. Tesla's Autopilot Software director Ashok Elluswamy shares additional information regarding the progress Tesla has made in FSD Beta 10.69: a huge change introduced in this update are "Occupancy Networks," which Elluswamy states are "our approach to solve general obstacle detection and using it to enable sophisticated collision avoidance." He claims that these occupancy networks are so important in solving self-driving that "when we execute on this plan we can build a car that literally never crashes."

Tesla enthusiast @WholeMarsBlog on Twitter shares their first 35-minute drive with FSD Beta 10.69, highlighting the significant changes Tesla has made in this update.

FSD Beta tester Chuck Cook @Chazman (who also snuck into the v10.69 release notes) also shared a video testing how FSD Beta 10.69 handles turns. "It wasn't very smooth, but it was adjusting its course so it can continue without a full stop," referring to the unprotected left turn his car had just executed.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 11.50.25 AM.png

Credit: Chuck Cook on YouTube

We're hoping all the changes that need to be fixed by 10.69.2 will provide more reasoning for Tesla's sudden price increase in FSD Beta 10.69. We can only hope this means Tesla is seriously getting closer to solving the self-driving problem, and we will certainly see how the changes allowing video and map data to simultaneously help FSD Beta learn to drive will affect not only how it drives now, but in the near future.

The really fun ones will involve the AI having to decide between running over the mother with a baby stroller who dashes in front of the car, or wipe out the grandma in the Toyota in the adjacent lane as the only two available choices :)

I should report you for attempting to disguise a trolley problem and introduce it into an autonomy thread.

It's actually about human moral judgment and irrelevant to autonomous vehicles because the answer to any trolley problem for AVs is always
(1) Hit the brakes to minimize speed of impact
(2) Show the camera footage to the police to prove it wasn't the car's fault.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I should report you for attempting to disguise a trolley problem and introduce it into an autonomy thread.

It's actually about human moral judgment and irrelevant to autonomous vehicles because the answer to any trolley problem for AVs is always
(1) Hit the brakes to minimize speed of impact
(2) Show the camera footage to the police to prove it wasn't the car's fault.

Not sure why you're upset about simply talking on the subject of what real-world problems face a "crashless" driving AI. The problem isn't with AI's not doing a good job, it's with calling them immune to crashing.

In my example, there's likely less chance of human death by swerving purposely into grandma to avoid the mom and baby, since grandma is wrapped in a well made Toyota with airbags while team-stroller lacks such armor and safety devices.

But yes, the lawyerly move is to just stand on the brakes and hit the pedestrians as slowly as possible.

LOL. From Tesla..... We offered "FSD" some 6 years ago for $5,000. Promised within a year we would send a car from L.A. to New York on its own. We still haven't delivered on that promise, nor the promise to actually enable all vehicles that have paid for the FSD feature, yet, the price over time for us to "flip the switch" is increasing now to $15,000, roughly 30% of the cost of an entire Model 3. All for a software upgrade since we build all cars with the hardware already in it. But yes, we still promise to deliver it. Right now, we still can't build cars fast enough to fulfill orders. We realize that the significant price increases do likely price out many buyers from owning a Tesla, but fortunately, you guys don't matter because we still have plenty of rich suckers willing to pay us for products we haven't delivered yet. For all those that paid us $250,000 up front for the Roadster we promised years ago, we promise that's coming too. Same for the Semi-Trucks. Cybertruck......uhm, let me check on that one......Oh yeah, that funky looking thing that somehow over 1,000,000 people were willing to send us money for, despite knowing our history at taking forever to deliver on promises. With FSD, we're not concerned with keeping it at a price point so more people can afford it and thus get it on the road via more cars so we can continue to learn from having it in vehicles. We'd rather squeak every dollar out those willing to give us money for nothing. We realize the economy is changing, interest rates have climbed, thus reducing further, the affordability of our cars due to higher loan costs. We're also not going to let you buy the Model S or X at lease-end anymore. Why should we, when we can charge you the same, then get the car back after you've paid for most of it? Need service for your vehicle, sure no problem we have a spot open in two months.

I wouldn't have as much of a problem with the price increase if it was something they were actually delivering. I had the same complaint when it went from $10,000 to $12,000. Said they need to focus on actually getting it to work properly and to ALL customers who have paid for it. Instead, they just keep taking advantage of short term gains, sacrificing in the long term. They struggled mightily in 2019 to sell cars. Then COVID hit and changed the world. Now, despite people having less money today than they did two years ago on average, companies like this choose to gouge, because they can.

In this aspect, this is where I have some respect for GM. They could have easily charged $80,000+ for the new Corvette, but chose to have it be reachable for more of their customers. Could have easily charged more than $60,000 for the Lyriq, but same thing, chose customer care over short term gains. That will benefit them in the long run. I feel for those that will be impacted by this. Happily, I'm not one of them.
Yep So much respect for GM. Or did you mean tax payers? With a 20 billion dollar hand out they Better be thinking about customer (tax payer) care. Lol

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Not sure why you're upset about simply talking on the subject of what real-world problems face a "crashless" driving AI. The problem isn't with AI's not doing a good job, it's with calling them immune to crashing.

In my example, there's likely less chance of human death by swerving purposely into grandma to avoid the mom and baby, since grandma is wrapped in a well made Toyota with airbags while team-stroller lacks such armor and safety devices.

But yes, the lawyerly move is to just stand on the brakes and hit the pedestrians as slowly as possible.
I'm more upset that you didn't enjoy my joke.

After FSD Beta 10.69 successfully rolled out to Tesla owners last night, Elon Musk tweeted that once it is released to all FSD Beta participants, the price of the FSD package will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000 on September 5th. The current price will be honored for any orders placed before September 5th.

Another price increase seems like a reassurance that FSD will come to fruition soon. Tesla's Autopilot Software director Ashok Elluswamy shares additional information regarding the progress Tesla has made in FSD Beta 10.69: a huge change introduced in this update are "Occupancy Networks," which Elluswamy states are "our approach to solve general obstacle detection and using it to enable sophisticated collision avoidance." He claims that these occupancy networks are so important in solving self-driving that "when we execute on this plan we can build a car that literally never crashes."

Tesla enthusiast @WholeMarsBlog on Twitter shares their first 35-minute drive with FSD Beta 10.69, highlighting the significant changes Tesla has made in this update.

FSD Beta tester Chuck Cook @Chazman (who also snuck into the v10.69 release notes) also shared a video testing how FSD Beta 10.69 handles turns. "It wasn't very smooth, but it was adjusting its course so it can continue without a full stop," referring to the unprotected left turn his car had just executed.

View attachment 843381
Credit: Chuck Cook on YouTube

We're hoping all the changes that need to be fixed by 10.69.2 will provide more reasoning for Tesla's sudden price increase in FSD Beta 10.69. We can only hope this means Tesla is seriously getting closer to solving the self-driving problem, and we will certainly see how the changes allowing video and map data to simultaneously help FSD Beta learn to drive will affect not only how it drives now, but in the near future.

I laughed when I read that. “We can build a car that never crashes”.

Guy has like 12 years of experience, another of those young guys who seem to have the run of the shop at Tesla.
Looks like Carpathy leaving has left a big vacuum.

Yeah, you CAN build a car that never crashes, except it’s gonna take you a decade. Or more. 🙄

I think he is just talking about the car not hitting static objects because it did not detect them. Tesla hopes to eliminate those types of crashes. Obviously, there will be cases where other cars hit you that you cannot avoid. Additionally, there will be conditions like heavy rain or heavy fog where the cameras will have lower visibility and might still crash. I don't think Tesla can literally promise no crashes ever.
Right - but that won’t stop haters from misusing that quote and take it out of context.

Exactly like they do to politicians. That’s why politicians started talking in ways that makes quoting out of context difficult - and their speeches always sound so unnatural.

I would be more worried about Tesla raising prices by $15K across all vehicles and then saying FSD is now free. It could happen. There are enough followers that would buy into this.
I‘m more inclined to think that they put EVERYTHING into this 15K FSD, and now make TACC/EAP an upcharge, thereby lowering the starting price of more M3 and MY so as to qualify for the $7500 tax credit with more vehicles. Currently I think there is only ONE M3 and ONE MY that might even qualify. The more they can take out of the base retail price and make an easy after purchase upcharge, the more vehicle VIN’s they can have qualify for federal tax credits in 2023. I actually think we might soon see lower price points for lower battery spec’s, that come with an always available option to pay to unlock more battery capacity after purchase.

I‘m more inclined to think that they put EVERYTHING into this 15K FSD, and now make TACC/EAP an upcharge, thereby lowering the starting price of more M3 and MY so as to qualify for the $7500 tax credit with more vehicles. Currently I think there is only ONE M3 and ONE MY that might even qualify. The more they can take out of the base retail price and make an easy after purchase upcharge, the more vehicle VIN’s they can have qualify for federal tax credits in 2023. I actually think we might soon see lower price points for lower battery spec’s, that come with an always available option to pay to unlock more battery capacity after purchase.
So go back to charging $3,000 for basic AP?