Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Raising Price of FSD to $15,000, AI Director States "We Can Build a Car That Never Crashes"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After FSD Beta 10.69 successfully rolled out to Tesla owners last night, Elon Musk tweeted that once it is released to all FSD Beta participants, the price of the FSD package will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000 on September 5th. The current price will be honored for any orders placed before September 5th.

Another price increase seems like a reassurance that FSD will come to fruition soon. Tesla's Autopilot Software director Ashok Elluswamy shares additional information regarding the progress Tesla has made in FSD Beta 10.69: a huge change introduced in this update are "Occupancy Networks," which Elluswamy states are "our approach to solve general obstacle detection and using it to enable sophisticated collision avoidance." He claims that these occupancy networks are so important in solving self-driving that "when we execute on this plan we can build a car that literally never crashes."

Tesla enthusiast @WholeMarsBlog on Twitter shares their first 35-minute drive with FSD Beta 10.69, highlighting the significant changes Tesla has made in this update.

FSD Beta tester Chuck Cook @Chazman (who also snuck into the v10.69 release notes) also shared a video testing how FSD Beta 10.69 handles turns. "It wasn't very smooth, but it was adjusting its course so it can continue without a full stop," referring to the unprotected left turn his car had just executed.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 11.50.25 AM.png

Credit: Chuck Cook on YouTube

We're hoping all the changes that need to be fixed by 10.69.2 will provide more reasoning for Tesla's sudden price increase in FSD Beta 10.69. We can only hope this means Tesla is seriously getting closer to solving the self-driving problem, and we will certainly see how the changes allowing video and map data to simultaneously help FSD Beta learn to drive will affect not only how it drives now, but in the near future.

I just took a 2700 mile road trip relying on EAP most of the time. I am making a list of EAP failures for my 2018 S. I think I will put my issues in a separate post. My conclusion is that I expected more from EAP after all Elon's hype about FSD. It is so bad that I am considering making a complaint to NHTSA over it.
I look forward to reading it. I’ve still been toying with the idea of purchasing EAP before it disappears again or there’s another price increase.

EAP isn't FSD Beta and is using the old stack. If you have a radar car, most likely you don't have Tesla vision yet either.

I will note they kept the EAP price the same, the price increase this time only applied to FSD.
So I have a radar car. I don't have Tesla Vision yet. Didn't Elon say he would not be upgrading radar cars to full Tesla Vision? Also, if he has better hardware/software, why isn't he making it available to existing customers? It seems to me that he is entering bait and switch territory by requiring me to pay for additional upgrades to achieve functionality already paid for.

Can you say class action?

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750
So I have a radar car. I don't have Tesla Vision yet. Didn't Elon say he would not be upgrading radar cars to full Tesla Vision? Also, if he has better hardware/software, why isn't he making it available to existing customers? It seems to me that he is entering bait and switch territory by requiring me to pay for additional upgrades to achieve functionality already paid for.

I'm confused by your statement. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something. One of my cars is a legacy radar car. They upgraded it to HW3 for free and I'm running the latest FSDb. Working ok so far on my car. Not a class action deal for me ;)

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve

Tesla is starting to roll out Tesla Vision to Radar cars with 2022.24.6:

There a ton of threads here discussing this. Note you need HW3 (FSD computer) for this. If you have HW2.5 the update to Tesla Vision isn't rolling out yet (and might not at all).

If you bought FSD, you would be able to get a free upgrade to HW3. It sounds like you didn't buy FSD however, so it would seem none of what Elon says about FSD applies to you in the first place?

Also if you are in FSD Beta program it automatically switched things to Tesla Vision (this was true a long time ago).

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
As I am getting ready to receive my X, I have an option to get EP and FSD (10K which is currently 15k) is it worth getting FSD as it is cheaper than the market? or am I just draining my money into Elon's ideas?
What are your expectations of FSD, is the question you need to ask yourself first.
Are your expectations to be what Elon has promised via tweets?
Or are your expectations to expect phantom braking, slowing in the middle of various intersections, and having to watch it like a hawk and intervene regularly/takeover at a moments notice, and no robotaxi service in the next 5 years+.

If the latter, then go for it!

As I am getting ready to receive my X, I have an option to get EP and FSD (10K which is currently 15k) is it worth getting FSD as it is cheaper than the market? or am I just draining my money into Elon's ideas?
I doubt that you can buy low at $10,000 then sell high at $15,000 or according to Musk at $100,000.

If you can, then it is worth it to make an easy $90,000 profit.

If you sell a white house, the least requirement should be that it's white.

If you sell a Self-Driving car, the least requirement is it should not collide with obstacles.

Tesla started selling ap1 since 2014 and ap2/fsd since 2016 and the car still can collide with obstacles in 2022. That's 8 years from the first ap1 sales and a decade is approaching.

It is doubtful that will change in a decade or more if Tesla refuses to change its way of anti-sensor fusion.

Some people love to be a test pilot and they feel it's a very relaxing job so they think it's a bargain to pay for fsd.

huh, so basically car gets aged before FSD actually works. How about EP, does it work as intended? Is EP still work 6k?
do you mean EAP? Most seem to feel auto lane change/being able to change lanes without turning off AP, is the best feature.
Smart Summon is "a party trick"(c)Elon that works ok..sometimes, but still sucks mainly. But have no fear, its going to get a total revamp and total improvement by the 09/30/2022 deadline that elon promised.

Oh wait..

There is the green light chime feature that works ok sometimes, unless you are in the left lane with a dedicated light that is different from the adjacent 2 or 3 lanes to the right of the left turn lane. But that half working feature is now free with basic AP..so no value add there.

So is $6k worth it for the lane change feature? Totally your decision. I'd think that $6k would be MUCH better off in the current depressed stock market.

huh, so basically car gets aged before FSD actually works. How about EP, does it work as intended? Is EP still work 6k?
Yes. Enhanced Autopilot works as intended because it does not claim self driving.

It can still collide with obstacles but that is expected because it's intended to be driven by a competent licensed driver.

Plain Autopilot gives you only 2 features: TACC and Lane Centering.

The "Enhanced" part is it gives you more than 2 features like Auto Lane Change, Auto Exit...

It almost has all the features that fsd has like auto park, summon but it is lacking City Streets Navigation on Autopilot feature. That means you have to do some manual tasks such as manually turning right/left at a traffic light.