Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Raising Price of FSD to $15,000, AI Director States "We Can Build a Car That Never Crashes"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After FSD Beta 10.69 successfully rolled out to Tesla owners last night, Elon Musk tweeted that once it is released to all FSD Beta participants, the price of the FSD package will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000 on September 5th. The current price will be honored for any orders placed before September 5th.

Another price increase seems like a reassurance that FSD will come to fruition soon. Tesla's Autopilot Software director Ashok Elluswamy shares additional information regarding the progress Tesla has made in FSD Beta 10.69: a huge change introduced in this update are "Occupancy Networks," which Elluswamy states are "our approach to solve general obstacle detection and using it to enable sophisticated collision avoidance." He claims that these occupancy networks are so important in solving self-driving that "when we execute on this plan we can build a car that literally never crashes."

Tesla enthusiast @WholeMarsBlog on Twitter shares their first 35-minute drive with FSD Beta 10.69, highlighting the significant changes Tesla has made in this update.

FSD Beta tester Chuck Cook @Chazman (who also snuck into the v10.69 release notes) also shared a video testing how FSD Beta 10.69 handles turns. "It wasn't very smooth, but it was adjusting its course so it can continue without a full stop," referring to the unprotected left turn his car had just executed.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 11.50.25 AM.png

Credit: Chuck Cook on YouTube

We're hoping all the changes that need to be fixed by 10.69.2 will provide more reasoning for Tesla's sudden price increase in FSD Beta 10.69. We can only hope this means Tesla is seriously getting closer to solving the self-driving problem, and we will certainly see how the changes allowing video and map data to simultaneously help FSD Beta learn to drive will affect not only how it drives now, but in the near future.

huh, so basically car gets aged before FSD actually works. How about EP, does it work as intended? Is EP still work 6k?
I have FSDb in my M3, while my wife's MY has standard AP. I REALLY miss automatic lane changes when I'm driving her car on the highway, mostly because I have to disengage AP every time I need to change lanes (yes, first-world problems indeed, but it's the truth lol). Navigate on Autopilot (NoA) is another pretty nice feature of EAP. In my opinion, though, the rest of the package isn't particularly useful in its current form. But if you do a lot of highway driving, automatic lane changes and NoA really do take a nice load off for you. I would strongly consider purchasing that again on a new car.

Reactions: GeoX750
"Dumb summon" is useful for filling your tires. You can move the car so the valve stem is at the top of the tire and you don't have to bend over so far to put air in.

Like hell if i'd pay $6K for it, or even $600. Once "Smart Summon" is reliable in a decade or so, Dumb Summon might be a free throw-in with AP again. The original AP1 package on the Model S included Summon. It was limited to moving forward or backward roughly 10 meters.

for lane change with regular free "AP": are people turning AP off COMPLETELY to change lanes? I just turn the wheel a bit which turns off auto steer but retains TACC during the lane change. After I manually do the lane change, I simply click the right scroll wheel twice to re-enable AP fully. to me, not worth $6k to not have to do that?

As far as auto lane change, when I did have FSD (last S, when it cost me like $3k I think to upgrade from EAP that came with the used S), I had the auto lane change turned off as the car would often change to the passing lane when I did not want it to. And as far as auto lane change on NOA, i would have to take over then as well as it often would get a bit confused if I was wanting to exit while someone was in the interstate entrance lane. That driver was waiting for me to pass him, FSD was waiting for him to go in front of me...

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
for lane change with regular free "AP": are people turning AP off COMPLETELY to change lanes? I just turn the wheel a bit which turns off auto steer but retains TACC during the lane change. After I manually do the lane change, I simply click the right scroll wheel twice to re-enable AP fully. to me, not worth $6k to not have to do that?
Lane Change was also available with original AP1 on the Model S as well. You have it right, that's how lane change can be done without a full cancel, you turn off auto-steer and resume it after changing lanes.

Also not worth $6K.

I had the auto lane change turned off as the car would often change to the passing lane when I did not want it to.
Agreed, which is why I turned on lane change confirmations. I still cancel probably close to 50% of the lane changes it wants to attempt, but it's easy enough to just tap the screen to cancel them. It's still a bit timid when merging with traffic though, both on and off ramp - I'll usually take over if there's a decent amount of traffic.

But, my point is - once you learn what the system is good at and how it works, EAP is really nice to have!

Reactions: 2101Guy
I still cancel probably close to 50% of the lane changes it wants to attempt, but it's easy enough to just tap the screen to cancel them.

I find tapping cancel doesn't do anything, when it wants to change lanes, hitting cancel will just make it pop up again 20 seconds later. Then you get into a nasty cycle of just tapping the cancel button. I just keep all auto lane changes off. If someone's going slow, i can make the decision to change lanes myself (tap of the turn signal). It's the same effort as using ALC with confirmation, so i don't see the point in keeping it on and getting nagged for dumb lane changes

I find tapping cancel doesn't do anything, when it wants to change lanes, hitting cancel will just make it pop up again 20 seconds later. Then you get into a nasty cycle of just tapping the cancel button. I just keep all auto lane changes off. If someone's going slow, i can make the decision to change lanes myself (tap of the turn signal). It's the same effort as using ALC with confirmation, so i don't see the point in keeping it on and getting nagged for dumb lane changes
I also only use lane change set at confirm and it is very annoying that it keeps popping back up after you canceled. Also annoying is it requesting to change to left or right lane that does not exist or asking to switch to left lane when your exit on right is less than 2 miles away. I'm a Tesla stock holder but I have had enough of FSD I purchased on two vehicles 5-years ago that has not been delivered. I refuse to purchase FSD on new Tesla at $15K when I still have not gotten what I paid for. I sold me 2018 M3P and purchased the 2023 Genesis Electrified G80 which was delivered to me Oct 28th. I can report that on my 100 mile drive home the Genesis Driver Assistance system worked flawlessly. Lane change and automated driving assist had no annoying change lane request and there were no phantom slow downs or braking. I found the performance of Genesis Driver Assistance to be much smother than what I have experienced in my MX or M3. Genesis charges $0 for these features which are provided as standard equipment. G80 EV cost me $81,540 while Tesla Model S would have cost me $113,690 with EAP. The G80 rides better, is dead silent at all speeds, is much more luxurious inside and out, has many more luxury features, provides 3-years free charging using EA, comes with a 5-year/60K miles new vehicle warranty and 10-year/100K mile electric powertrain and vehicle systems warranty. Tesla MS, over $32K more than Genesis G80 EV, for what? As a stock holder, I'm worried. As a new Genesis owner, I'm very pleased. Next year I'm shocked to say when the Genesis Electrified GV70 SUV arrives in USA, I may sell MX.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC

As far as auto lane change, when I did have FSD (last S, when it cost me like $3k I think to upgrade from EAP that came with the used S), I had the auto lane change turned off as the car would often change to the passing lane when I did not want it to. And as far as auto lane change on NOA, i would have to take over then as well as it often would get a bit confused if I was wanting to exit while someone was in the interstate entrance lane. That driver was waiting for me to pass him, FSD was waiting for him to go in front of me...
If you click on the turn signal, it will turn off AP. This Tells me that you change lanes without signaling

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I also only use lane change set at confirm and it is very annoying that it keeps popping back up after you canceled. Also annoying is it requesting to change to left or right lane that does not exist or asking to switch to left lane when your exit on right is less than 2 miles away. I'm a Tesla stock holder but I have had enough of FSD I purchased on two vehicles 5-years ago that has not been delivered. I refuse to purchase FSD on new Tesla at $15K when I still have not gotten what I paid for. I sold me 2018 M3P and purchased the 2023 Genesis Electrified G80 which was delivered to me Oct 28th. I can report that on my 100 mile drive home the Genesis Driver Assistance system worked flawlessly. Lane change and automated driving assist had no annoying change lane request and there were no phantom slow downs or braking. I found the performance of Genesis Driver Assistance to be much smother than what I have experienced in my MX or M3. Genesis charges $0 for these features which are provided as standard equipment. G80 EV cost me $81,540 while Tesla Model S would have cost me $113,690 with EAP. The G80 rides better, is dead silent at all speeds, is much more luxurious inside and out, has many more luxury features, provides 3-years free charging using EA, comes with a 5-year/60K miles new vehicle warranty and 10-year/100K mile electric powertrain and vehicle systems warranty. Tesla MS, over $32K more than Genesis G80 EV, for what? As a stock holder, I'm worried. As a new Genesis owner, I'm very pleased. Next year I'm shocked to say when the Genesis Electrified GV70 SUV arrives in USA, I may sell MX.
I see that you are from California. I travel quite a bit from LA to San Francisco and Las Vegas. Can you tell me where I can get high speed charging along I-5, I-15 with the Genesis?

He’s implying you could look up where to find charging on that route.
Oh, I see. You mean I have to look up on the phone on the route I am taking? or the Genesis could route me to various different chargers on the route with real time charge reserve calculations and charger occupancy info? I am 75 years old and do not want to work on my phone while driving.

Oh, I see. You mean I have to look up on the phone on the route I am taking? or the Genesis could route me to various different chargers on the route with real time charge reserve calculations and charger occupancy info? I am 75 years old and do not want to work on my phone while driving.
Ah, I'm sorry for my sarcasm. I thought you were just asking about the existence of high speed chargers (there are plenty). I don't know how sophisticated the Genesis navigation is. I have heard that the Electrify America charging network is not as reliable or convenient as the Supercharger network.

I see that you are from California. I travel quite a bit from LA to San Francisco and Las Vegas. Can you tell me where I can get high speed charging along I-5, I-15 with the Genesis?
I also go to Bay Area to visit family. Genesis G80 comes with 3-years of free charging from Electrify America (EA) Locate a public EV charger | Electrify America so I would check that website first. When I checked last week there were many sites along 101, I-5 etc. Genesis G80 has 800volt platform so it can take the full 350kW DC fast charger that EA is installing so I prioritize those sites with many being located at Walmart, Target, and Ralphs. My favorite spot for charging, Harris Ranch on 1-5 has several. I noticed that N. CA has many more 350kW DC fast chargers than S. CA so charging from 20% - 80% should only take 20minutes. If you want to view all charging options, check out PlugShare at PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge. By the way, it was my family who urged me to look at Genesis when they heard I was searching for a luxury EV sedans and I was getting no response from BMW or Mercedes. Nephew purchased Hyundai Ioniq 5 and my brother replaced his M3 with Genesis GV60 electric SUV. We all installed the new Tesla J1772 Wall Connector in our garages so we can all charge at each of our homes while still supporting Tesla charging. I had the new Tesla J1772 Wall Connector installed yesterday and it charges the Genesis perfectly. Note, I first purchased the Lectron Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter and it failed to connect to the Genesis G80, I returned it to Amazon for a full refund.