Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Raising Price of FSD to $15,000, AI Director States "We Can Build a Car That Never Crashes"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After FSD Beta 10.69 successfully rolled out to Tesla owners last night, Elon Musk tweeted that once it is released to all FSD Beta participants, the price of the FSD package will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000 on September 5th. The current price will be honored for any orders placed before September 5th.

Another price increase seems like a reassurance that FSD will come to fruition soon. Tesla's Autopilot Software director Ashok Elluswamy shares additional information regarding the progress Tesla has made in FSD Beta 10.69: a huge change introduced in this update are "Occupancy Networks," which Elluswamy states are "our approach to solve general obstacle detection and using it to enable sophisticated collision avoidance." He claims that these occupancy networks are so important in solving self-driving that "when we execute on this plan we can build a car that literally never crashes."

Tesla enthusiast @WholeMarsBlog on Twitter shares their first 35-minute drive with FSD Beta 10.69, highlighting the significant changes Tesla has made in this update.

FSD Beta tester Chuck Cook @Chazman (who also snuck into the v10.69 release notes) also shared a video testing how FSD Beta 10.69 handles turns. "It wasn't very smooth, but it was adjusting its course so it can continue without a full stop," referring to the unprotected left turn his car had just executed.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 11.50.25 AM.png

Credit: Chuck Cook on YouTube

We're hoping all the changes that need to be fixed by 10.69.2 will provide more reasoning for Tesla's sudden price increase in FSD Beta 10.69. We can only hope this means Tesla is seriously getting closer to solving the self-driving problem, and we will certainly see how the changes allowing video and map data to simultaneously help FSD Beta learn to drive will affect not only how it drives now, but in the near future.

Oh, I see. You mean I have to look up on the phone on the route I am taking? or the Genesis could route me to various different chargers on the route with real time charge reserve calculations and charger occupancy info? I am 75 years old and do not want to work on my phone while driving.
KLam: The Genesis Electrified G80 comes with "Genesis Connected Services" which offers connected navigation services that includes charging locations. Genesis highly recommends that you use the intelligent connected navigation since planning your route with charging through the car will also provide battery preconditioning to allow you to fully utilize the full power of the DC charger as soon as you plug in. You do not need to use any other device. If you use for instance any other app, Google maps, or any other website on your phone, you will not get battery preconditioning. I just gave you other options on an earlier reply to search at home for where other DC fast chargers are located. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Reactions: KLam and Brou
Genesis puts out some extremely good vehicles at crazy values these days, the whole Hyundai-Kia-Genesis group is knocking it out of the park right now.

Tesla brought the competition, we should be happy that others are also bringing their A-game because us as consumers will all benefit from the companies duking it out to win our business.

Frankly I think we should also be hoping that charging infrastructure expands massively and isn't limited to any one company, for the sake of environment, but that's just me.

It's not an EV but I have a 2021 GV80 that is just so good, especially for the price

Genesis puts out some extremely good vehicles at crazy values these days, the whole Hyundai-Kia-Genesis group is knocking it out of the park right now.

Tesla brought the competition, we should be happy that others are also bringing their A-game because us as consumers will all benefit from the companies duking it out to win our business.

Frankly I think we should also be hoping that charging infrastructure expands massively and isn't limited to any one company, for the sake of environment, but that's just me.

It's not an EV but I have a 2021 GV80 that is just so good, especially for the price
I agree 100%. I'm shocked at how good the 2023 Electrified G80 is and how incredible it drives. Highly recommend. Genesis is also selling the Electrified GV70 SUV in Asia and Europe now, coming to USA next year. Can't wait to see it. Another thing, Genesis is making some of the most beautiful cars I have seen, take a look at my Capri beauty. So nice to see bright trim on a luxury car.
IMG_0095.jpeg

I agree 100%. I'm shocked at how good the 2023 Electrified G80 is and how incredible it drives. Highly recommend. Genesis is also selling the Electrified GV70 SUV in Asia and Europe now, coming to USA next year. Can't wait to see it. Another thing, Genesis is making some of the most beautiful cars I have seen, take a look at my Capri beauty. So nice to see bright trim on a luxury car.View attachment 871065
Beautiful

Have you checked out the GV70 in person? I totally would have gone for an electric version but not sure when they will arrive in Canada, the interior is gorgeous though.

This is mine

1667578645004.jpeg

Beautiful

Have you checked out the GV70 in person? I totally would have gone for an electric version but not sure when they will arrive in Canada, the interior is gorgeous though.

This is mine

I will only purchase EVs and since the Electrified GV70 will not come to the USA until next year, no I did not look at the GV70. I did tell my Genesis dealership to contact me as soon as the Electrified GV70 arrives, I may replace my 2017 Tesla Model X 100D with another Genesis. Looking forward to seeing the GV70 electric SUV next year. Competition is good.

Ah, I'm sorry for my sarcasm. I thought you were just asking about the existence of high speed chargers (there are plenty). I don't know how sophisticated the Genesis navigation is. I have heard that the Electrify America charging network is not as reliable or convenient as the Supercharger network.
You mentioned some of the stuff I want to know before I go buy another brand EV.

Currently, if I want to go from LA to San Francisco, I just put in the SF address, the Tesla system will route me there and the Supercharger stops with range remaining when reaching stops. On the I-5, there is almost a Supercharger station with 10-15 stalls or more on each US route interchange. For the Model 3, I usually stop at Kettleman City (more than 40 stalls). For the Model S, I can go a little further to Harris Ranch (a new location now have more than 40 stalls, I think). I usually start early morning like 6 am before the rush traffic on LA 405. I will reach the interchange around 9 am, grab a McDonald Breakfast before I head to the Supercharger stall, plug it in (no fussing with pushing buttons or credit card entry/approval like a Gas Station), eat my breakfast, go to the bathroom and be on my way in 30 minutes or so. Then I stop at the Gilroy area Supercharger Stations, may be another bite at the In n Out before heading to SF. I would like to know how to do the equivalent on other EVs and the ease of use. My experience on Supercharger Stations have been very positive. Usually no waiting.

I am always searching another brand EV with similar experience by just recording my Credit card info with the company.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
KLam: The Genesis Electrified G80 comes with "Genesis Connected Services" which offers connected navigation services that includes charging locations. Genesis highly recommends that you use the intelligent connected navigation since planning your route with charging through the car will also provide battery preconditioning to allow you to fully utilize the full power of the DC charger as soon as you plug in. You do not need to use any other device. If you use for instance any other app, Google maps, or any other website on your phone, you will not get battery preconditioning. I just gave you other options on an earlier reply to search at home for where other DC fast chargers are located. If you have any other questions, let me know.
Will the "Genesis Connect Services" display the current route map like Google map? Do they have something equivalent to NOA? Is "intellligent connect navigation" part of "Genesis Connected Services". Does that Service automatically tie you in with different Charging Providers on the route? Do you have to check in like a Gas Station? Do they display the current occupancy of the Charging Stations? So many questions. Thanks in advance.

I also go to Bay Area to visit family. Genesis G80 comes with 3-years of free charging from Electrify America (EA) Locate a public EV charger | Electrify America so I would check that website first. When I checked last week there were many sites along 101, I-5 etc. Genesis G80 has 800volt platform so it can take the full 350kW DC fast charger that EA is installing so I prioritize those sites with many being located at Walmart, Target, and Ralphs. My favorite spot for charging, Harris Ranch on 1-5 has several. I noticed that N. CA has many more 350kW DC fast chargers than S. CA so charging from 20% - 80% should only take 20minutes. If you want to view all charging options, check out PlugShare at PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge. By the way, it was my family who urged me to look at Genesis when they heard I was searching for a luxury EV sedans and I was getting no response from BMW or Mercedes. Nephew purchased Hyundai Ioniq 5 and my brother replaced his M3 with Genesis GV60 electric SUV. We all installed the new Tesla J1772 Wall Connector in our garages so we can all charge at each of our homes while still supporting Tesla charging. I had the new Tesla J1772 Wall Connector installed yesterday and it charges the Genesis perfectly. Note, I first purchased the Lectron Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter and it failed to connect to the Genesis G80, I returned it to Amazon for a full refund.
What is your experience on the Harris Ranch charging situation? Do you have to hunt from different locations for available stalls? What is the Genesis G80 range. Accurate estimations? I always de-rate my Tesla range to 80%. Thanks.

Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
Competition is excellent for the market. Seems every established, big brand car company is advertising they're coming for Tesla (a testament to just how powerful Tesla is in the industry). The problem is scaling. The Hyundai Ioniq 5 is shown to be an excellent EV with AP-like features. However, you can't buy them anywhere.

It's going to take time to re-tool factories, build battery factories or form partnerships for batteries, re-train existing labor forces to build EVs instead of ICEs, and educate the marketplace to make the switch.

I can't wait to see the future of advanced EVs on the road.

What is your experience on the Harris Ranch charging situation? Do you have to hunt from different locations for available stalls? What is the Genesis G80 range. Accurate estimations? I always de-rate my Tesla range to 80%. Thanks.
KLam: Keep in mind that I just took delivery of my G80 EV 1-week ago so I can't answer all your questions. I suggest you visit a Genesis dealership or visit the Genesis website and review the online videos and materials on the electrified G80 for more details. What I can say is yes, the Genesis intelligent navigation does show the route and on route charging options. Genesis connected services allows you to also plan a route online and have that trip downloaded to the car. EA on route chargers also tell you how many and what kind of ports are available for you to use. As far as range, G80 EV official EPA range is 282 miles with a 87kWh battery. When I picked up the car at the dealer it was charged to 90% and showed a range of 294. After driving 148 miles and charging again to 90%, range now is 267 miles so I believe EPA range is accurate. Since the G80 has a 800volt platform, it can charge from 20% - 80 in 20mins on a 350kW fast DC charger so trips should be much faster when compared to Tesla's 400volt platform and 250kW chargers. I have no real world experience with this yet. Other sources on YouTub have shown Hyundai/Kia/Genesis EVs actual driving range to be equal to or slightly better than EPA stated range and they have a very fast charging curve. I found my Tesla M3P and MX 100D got about 30 - 40 miles less than EPA stated range in real world driving. Example, my MX 100D has a 100kWh battery, right now charged to 90% with a range of 251 miles.

Will the "Genesis Connect Services" display the current route map like Google map? Do they have something equivalent to NOA? Is "intellligent connect navigation" part of "Genesis Connected Services". Does that Service automatically tie you in with different Charging Providers on the route? Do you have to check in like a Gas Station? Do they display the current occupancy of the Charging Stations? So many questions. Thanks in advance.
Genesis does not have NOA yet but they are coming out with a major software upgrade soon that is going to turn on many more features, including OTA software updates. Genesis Tech support has already confirmed that the 2023 Electrified G80 already has the modem and all the hardware needed to take advantage of all the new features and OTA updates. It will be necessary for my Genesis dealer to load this update but after that everything should be OTA. Genesis has already committed to be 100% electric by 2030 so I'm expecting many great things to come.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
KLam: Keep in mind that I just took delivery of my G80 EV 1-week ago so I can't answer all your questions. I suggest you visit a Genesis dealership or visit the Genesis website and review the online videos and materials on the electrified G80 for more details. What I can say is yes, the Genesis intelligent navigation does show the route and on route charging options. Genesis connected services allows you to also plan a route online and have that trip downloaded to the car. EA on route chargers also tell you how many and what kind of ports are available for you to use. As far as range, G80 EV official EPA range is 282 miles with a 87kWh battery. When I picked up the car at the dealer it was charged to 90% and showed a range of 294. After driving 148 miles and charging again to 90%, range now is 267 miles so I believe EPA range is accurate. Since the G80 has a 800volt platform, it can charge from 20% - 80 in 20mins on a 350kW fast DC charger so trips should be much faster when compared to Tesla's 400volt platform and 250kW chargers. I have no real world experience with this yet. Other sources on YouTub have shown Hyundai/Kia/Genesis EVs actual driving range to be equal to or slightly better than EPA stated range and they have a very fast charging curve. I found my Tesla M3P and MX 100D got about 30 - 40 miles less than EPA stated range in real world driving. Example, my MX 100D has a 100kWh battery, right now charged to 90% with a range of 251 miles.
Does the G80 ADAS/LaneKeeping go around curved roads or only straight roads?

I find tapping cancel doesn't do anything, when it wants to change lanes, hitting cancel will just make it pop up again 20 seconds later. Then you get into a nasty cycle of just tapping the cancel button. I just keep all auto lane changes off. If someone's going slow, i can make the decision to change lanes myself (tap of the turn signal). It's the same effort as using ALC with confirmation, so i don't see the point in keeping it on and getting nagged for dumb lane changes
I just adjust cruise control until I am going faster than everyone so it (almost) always wants to stay in the passing lane. Virginians maybe drive slow though because that is right around 77mph on an interstate with a 70mph limit.

• Informative
Reactions: momo3605
Just found out the G80 EV is based on its original ICE platform. Practically no trunk space, rear seats can't fold down, low head room and no frunk. ☹️

The rear engine raised across the rear trunk blocking rear seat access of the trunk with the exception of a small through hole. The front engine used up the frunk space. The battery raised the floor so head room is reduced. What are they thinking about? 😂
I guess "ELECTRIFIED" G80 was not clear to some. Also, my requirement was a luxury 4-door sedan which by definition means a trunk, not a hatch back with folding seats. From my 3-months shopping, I never came across any EV luxury 4-door sedan with a trunk that had folding rear seats. I know hatch backs like Tesla Model S has them but did not see this from Lucid, BMW, or MB. Frunk? Again, 4-door sedan, only EV 4-door sedan I came across that had a frunk was Lucid. Like BMW, Genesis new platform was designed from the beginning to be offered as ICE or EV. That is why we are now starting to receive ELECTRIFIED G80 and coming soon, ELECTRIFIED GV70 and G90. This engineering approach lowers cost drastically. Since I already own a Tesla MX, I did not want or need a hatch back or huge trunk and I did not care about a frunk, it is not needed. I was sharing how Genesis Highway Driving Assist (HDA v2) operates in comparison to Tesla FSD as this thread is about. You are the one who kept asking me questions about the G80. I for one would never criticize or make fun of anyone's choice of vehicles and I would certainly not ask TMC members about a vehicle that I had not done any research on. All vehicle choices are great and I hope everyone loves the vehicles they drive.