Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Rangers in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wasn't serious ... i just figured that if they play that game so can we by following the logic that the rangers coming from the states would only charge by the mile. I would rather however they get more local service locations.

On that note, have we heard of any plans for others in canada? I get the impression that the service locations don't have to match the store locations so maybe they can have more of them ... that's what i'm hoping for at least.

I know they are considering other locations, but I wouldn't be surprised if no decision has been made yet. I'd bet on Calgary, probably Vancouver (do people there go to Seattle for service, or do they send a ranger from Toronto?), and maybe Montreal. (Montreal would be great since I can drive there on a single charge.)

Right now with something like three dozen Roadsters in Canada I can't see sales supporting another location. But for the Model S we're talking hundreds of cars being delivered in a fairly short time period. I expect they'll have to ramp up quite a bit before they launch the S.

I know the Roadster owners in Calgary are serviced from the Seattle area...makes sense really...it's a long ride from Toronto & their horses get tired...(their red uniforms & funny hats get dusty too...RCMTR) :wink::biggrin:

wasn't serious ... i just figured that if they play that game so can we by following the logic that the rangers coming from the states would only charge by the mile. I would rather however they get more local service locations.

On that note, have we heard of any plans for others in canada? I get the impression that the service locations don't have to match the store locations so maybe they can have more of them ... that's what i'm hoping for at least.

So it sounds like Tesla isn't going to budge on the 60% premium for Ranger service in Canada. That's the bad news.

Now for the good news. I'm told they are planning to open more service centers in Canada, because once the Model S launches they're going to need them. They're talking about several in Ontario alone, including Ottawa!

Also the location for the Toronto service center has been settled - it will be near the airport on Tranmere Drive.

Hey Doug, was there any talk of "partnering" with an existing dealership / repair facility to joint share costs?

They didn't get into that kind of detail, but I was definitely left with the impression that they were talking about Tesla facilities. Some speculation... These regional shops could be quite small at first, and scaled up later as needed. Also some of the repair centers could be larger affairs with more capabilities, e.g. send the car to Toronto if it's a big job requiring specialized tooling.

I know they already sometimes farm out certain types of repair to specialty shops, such as body work. I believe Kevin had some experience with that.

Great News for Tesla Ranger Service in Canada

This just in...

Tesla Ranger fees in Canada have been reduced! No more $1/km. The fees are now CDN $0.65/km (equivalent to $1.04 per mile).

This is wonderful news!

I know that Dan, Hans, and Eli have all been working on this behind the scenes. They all deserve a very big thank you!

Now for the good news. I'm told they are planning to open more service centers in Canada, because once the Model S launches they're going to need them. They're talking about several in Ontario alone, including Ottawa!

Doug,
Can you say where you heard there might be an Ottawa service center? Is there a contact at Tesla that has more information on this, especially re. the timing?

Earlier, I was unable to get any useful info from Tesla via email with respect to plans for an Ottawa service center.
Thanks.

Doug,
Can you say where you heard there might be an Ottawa service center? Is there a contact at Tesla that has more information on this, especially re. the timing?

I was talking to someone at Tesla, obviously, but I don't think I should say who without getting permission first. You won't get an official answer because nothing has been formally decided yet.

My understanding is that they are leaning towards having an Ottawa location that would support Eastern Ontario, Montreal, and Quebec City.

My own speculation: it's probably easier for them business-wise to set up a branch location in Ottawa rather than Montreal. Even if it were Montreal the Ranger service would be much less expensive, and you could easily drive the car there for service without having to recharge.

Timing? Don't know. My hope is that next year's annual service won't require Ranger service.

Ottawa service center = Model S purchase

I was talking to someone at Tesla, obviously, but I don't think I should say who without getting permission first. You won't get an official answer because nothing has been formally decided yet.

My understanding is that they are leaning towards having an Ottawa location that would support Eastern Ontario, Montreal, and Quebec City.

My own speculation: it's probably easier for them business-wise to set up a branch location in Ottawa rather than Montreal. Even if it were Montreal the Ranger service would be much less expensive, and you could easily drive the car there for service without having to recharge.

Timing? Don't know. My hope is that next year's annual service won't require Ranger service.

Thanks Doug. I have a Model S reservation, so when my number comes up I'll likely decide to go ahead with the purchase or not based on whether there is an Ottawa service center. I should probably let Tesla know that this is my thinking.