Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ranks 2nd worst in Consumer reports reliability survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla ranks 2nd worst in Consumer reports reliability survey

Who Makes the Most Reliable New Cars?
I think Consumers reports anti-Tesla bias is showing. Tesla is so terrible that they have sold every vehicle they can make at least thru the spring. They are so terrible that they have the highest owner satisfacion rating of any car. Tesla must have a lot of people fooled.

I think Consumers reports anti-Tesla bias is showing. Tesla is so terrible that they have sold every vehicle they can make at least thru the spring. They are so terrible that they have the highest owner satisfacion rating of any car. Tesla must have a lot of people fooled.

Sales and satisfaction are not always correlated perfectly with reliability. People love range rovers too. One can support Tesla without being an apologist for its vehicles’ poor quality and reliability.

Last edited:
Sales and satisfaction are not always correlated perfectly with reliability. People love range rovers too. One can support Tesla without being an apologist for its vehicles’ poor quality and reliability.
I guess I'm the exception then. The 4 Tesla's I've owned and the two that my son has have been good quality, reliable cars. I've been driving for 54 years and they have been the most reliable cars I have owned. This includes BMWs Mercedes, Audi, VW, and American brands. A big difference between Tesla and Range Rover is that Range Rover is going broke. People choose with their money.

Jeep has been consistently at the bottom of the scale but people just love it so much (among top 10 in popularity).

I guess I'm the exception then. The 4 Tesla's I've owned and the two that my son has have been good quality, reliable cars. I've been driving for 54 years and they have been the most reliable cars I have owned. This includes BMWs Mercedes, Audi, VW, and American brands. A big difference between Tesla and Range Rover is that Range Rover is going broke. People choose with their money.
I don’t doubt Teslas are very appealing cars. I’m just saying that they have won the EV debate, time to beyond that as their only USP; they are big in the sense that they have the valuation and orders and they charge a pretty penny, but they should learn a thing or two from 100 year old companies that know a thing or two about what makes for good quality and service. You want a trouble free high quality experience if you don’t care for tech like many don’t, compare the experience to owning and servicing a Lexus.

In Tesla’s defense, the model 3 is recommended by CR so it must have decent reliability compared to other models. I think the biggest problems I had with a 2018 M3 that had no easy fixes were body and paint quality which seemed prone to rust and squeaks and noise and fit and finish type issues, not necessarily something catastrophic. I think Tesla needs another 3-4 years for the pent up demand to be met before they are incentivized to adjust to market pressure and improve.
Tesla Model 3 Regains CR Top Pick Status and IIHS Safety Award

So this comparison was only made against other EV's.

I am sure Jeep, and other ICE cars have lower ratings.

The way the article is presented shows anti Tesla bias methinks.

I guess I have been lucky, and so have the three folks I know who have TURO fleets of Teslas (that is they own two or three or more). The guy who bought my first Model 3 has 5 at present..

I used to think Consumer Reports was really as it claims - honest, unbiased - tests and opinions not affected in any way by external pressure.

Now, I am not so sure...

Last edited:
So this comparison was only made against other EV's.

I am sure Jeep, and other ICE cars have lower ratings.

The way the article is presented shows anti Tesla bias methinks.
Yes...

It is all about the evaluative criteria. Let's see. One manufacturer has made over a million vehicles, and another has made - what, a thousand? A Hundred? How many thousand Rivians have been on the road for - oh let's say two years?

What about GEM cars? Kandis? They have so many on the road. And totally comparable with Teslas...

So let's count the NUMBER of issues of all EV makes, ignoring the PERCENTAGE of the vehicles which needed service. Yeah - that's the ticket!

And of course, there has never been a vehicle manufactured by the Big Three that had issues, either on delivery or after a few miles. And certainly not VW or MB, Austin, MG, or Fiat. Look how well respected are all Fiats. And the YUGO? The Subaru 360?

Fix It Again Tony
Found On Road Dead
Flip Over, Rescue Driver
Great Merchandising
Generally Made Crummy
(Never came up with one for Chrysler, sorry)
Und su weiter...

New cars nowadays are pretty reliable overall. You can be at or near the bottom of the reliability rating and still be very reliable. It's kind of like an illness that strikes one person in a thousand. You can be at double the average risk and still only have one chance in five hundred of ever getting the illness.

Lots of people accuse CU of bias when its results are unfavorable to their preferred brand. I am a big Tesla fanboy, and a big booster for CU. If CU says Tesla's reliability rating is near the bottom of the list, I believe it. From reading these forums, it's consistent with what people report here. Note that CU also says that Teslas are the safest cars on the road! Where's their anti-Tesla bias now?

New cars nowadays are pretty reliable overall. You can be at or near the bottom of the reliability rating and still be very reliable. It's kind of like an illness that strikes one person in a thousand. You can be at double the average risk and still only have one chance in five hundred of ever getting the illness.

Lots of people accuse CU of bias when its results are unfavorable to their preferred brand. I am a big Tesla fanboy, and a big booster for CU. If CU says Tesla's reliability rating is near the bottom of the list, I believe it. From reading these forums, it's consistent with what people report here. Note that CU also says that Teslas are the safest cars on the road! Where's their anti-Tesla bias now?

Exactly. Another issue I see is new Tesla owners bring out rulers to measure panel gaps and tend to go through their delivery process with a fine tooth comb. Trust me when I tell you the panel gap issue and paint defects isn't only a Tesla thing, it's just that buyers of other brands just pick up and go without all the drama.

Here is an example:

I agree with most of your comments but I have highlighted one sentence of your post and would like to comment thereon:

The experience I have had with this kind of logic is that only the squeaking wheels are heard. I opine that the vast majority of Tesla operators just bought a car, it runs well, maybe a minor issue here and there, but aren't standing up and hollering about how crappy their Tesla is because of some small issue.

Reactions: YBLee and wipster
This is the feedback CR received from actual owners. They are just reporting what they received. No need to hate.
No hate here. Distrust, yes. Disagreement with their sampling method, yes.

When I read that they have heard from every single cotton picking one of the Tesla owners worldwide and have evaluated those comments, then I might pay a little attention to them. gain, they mostly hear from the ones with a real or imagined axe to grind.

Reactions: YBLee and KidsEyeDr
No hate here. Distrust, yes. Disagreement with their sampling method, yes.

When I read that they have heard from every single cotton picking one of the Tesla owners worldwide and have evaluated those comments, then I might pay a little attention to them. gain, they mostly hear from the ones with a real or imagined axe to grind.

I usually throw those surveys away or hit delete. So, is it really their fault about the sampling size? If they came out with good survey results would you believe them or say that you want to hear from "every single cotton picking one of the Tesla owners worldwide"?

Reactions: YBLee and wipster
Yes...

It is all about the evaluative criteria. Let's see. One manufacturer has made over a million vehicles, and another has made - what, a thousand? A Hundred? How many thousand Rivians have been on the road for - oh let's say two years?

What about GEM cars? Kandis? They have so many on the road. And totally comparable with Teslas...

So let's count the NUMBER of issues of all EV makes, ignoring the PERCENTAGE of the vehicles which needed service. Yeah - that's the ticket!

And of course, there has never been a vehicle manufactured by the Big Three that had issues, either on delivery or after a few miles. And certainly not VW or MB, Austin, MG, or Fiat. Look how well respected are all Fiats. And the YUGO? The Subaru 360?

Fix It Again Tony
Found On Road Dead
Flip Over, Rescue Driver
Great Merchandising
Generally Made Crummy
(Never came up with one for Chrysler, sorry)
Und su weiter...
You left out that BMW stands for Bilk My Wallet

Few things are more polarizing than these third-party reviews on Tesla.

First of all, it's hard to accuse CR of a Tesla bias in a true sense since the Model S was at one point their highest rated car. However, that said, their notion of reliability is totally bogus. Reliability should mean something that prevents the car from operating. Tesla should be winning or at least close to the top of the Heap in that department. Quality control in other systems that don't impact whether or not you can drive away but do impact how much grief the car subjects you to should not be evaluated on a Level Playing Field with drivetrains, core electrical systems, Etc.

I do think it's curious that CR did everything they could to minimize and under-report how the Tesla Model 3 had the highest owner satisfaction of any brand or model - indeed I had to spend 10 to 15 minutes digging through their website to even find comparative ratings of owner satisfaction.

So I think they plaster the bad news on the front page and put the good news in a footnote. I don't understand why they do that. And that does look like bias but I think it's actually part of their non advertising advertising.

In any case after trying to get them to consider that some of their terminology was misleading and their complete and utter refusal to even discuss the issue, I canceled my subscription. They don't have the same issues that the automotive press does but they have their own set of distorting issues. Neutrality is just about impossible it seems.