Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ranks 2nd worst in Consumer reports reliability survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. Prior to my Tesla’s (which have stranded me twice :rolleyes:) I haven’t been stranded by a car in years. I want to know how many times I am going to have crap break that needs to be taken to the service center where I have to take off work, etc. I care even more about those type of items for an EV which basically never has to go in otherwise. It’s not like I can make a list of small broken things to have them deal with at my next oil change.

So I like the CR reliability ratings, and my anecdotal experience is they are 100% correct in their assessment of Tesla. I love my Teslas, but I tell everyone they are like owning an exotic - you are going to have a blast, but will probably spend quite a bit of time dealing with the service center.
I think reliability has multiple faces. I can care less about minor things that are fixable in the short term when the car is under warranty. When the car fails to drive stranding me on the road and repairs take many months as, for example, with Ford Mach-E, it is a reliability concern to me. If everything starts to fall apart in 5 years, when the warranty is over, then that is a reliability concern. When the car has panel gaps, or misaligned doors, it is an assembly consistency issue, this is an annoyance, not a reliability concern to me.

New cars nowadays are pretty reliable overall. You can be at or near the bottom of the reliability rating and still be very reliable. It's kind of like an illness that strikes one person in a thousand. You can be at double the average risk and still only have one chance in five hundred of ever getting the illness.

Lots of people accuse CU of bias when its results are unfavorable to their preferred brand. I am a big Tesla fanboy, and a big booster for CU. If CU says Tesla's reliability rating is near the bottom of the list, I believe it. From reading these forums, it's consistent with what people report here. Note that CU also says that Teslas are the safest cars on the road! Where's their anti-Tesla bias now?
Consumers Union?

Are they still around?

I don’t doubt Teslas are very appealing cars. I’m just saying that they have won the EV debate, time to beyond that as their only USP; they are big in the sense that they have the valuation and orders and they charge a pretty penny, but they should learn a thing or two from 100 year old companies that know a thing or two about what makes for good quality and service. You want a trouble free high quality experience if you don’t care for tech like many don’t, compare the experience to owning and servicing a Lexus.
I owned a 2006 Lexus IS350 and it was one of the worst cars I ever purchased. HID headlights would go out every time it rained and you ran through a puddle. The engine was torn down twice for defective camshafts and the fuel system leaked prompting a recall.
2006 Lexus IS Recalls & Safety Notices | Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com)

Consumer Reports gave it an excellent rating for reliability.

Why is there a cadre of Tesla owners who talk and act like they are in some kind of cult?? It's a car people. I own one too, lots to be appreciated and LOTS of issues that need addressing too. Accept valid criticism and CR has valuable, helpful criticism.
Your're new around here, aren't you? :p

There are a lot a Tesla fans and a subset are fanboys to whom you can speak no evil. Tesla is kind of like Apple that way. I'm a fan of Apple products and it's the same way. There's a subset of Apple fans in front of whom thou shalt not speak evil of The Prophet Steve Jobs. If you go on some Apple forums and complain you are instantly castigated.

Personally, I agree with you. I love my Model Y. I think Teslas are great cars and Tesla as a company has done a lot to advance the EV industry, but they are not perfect and not without fault. Ignoring those faults just paints one as a sycophant whose opinion isn't worth much.

Counting trim misalignment as the same as an engine or transmission failure hardly qualifies CA as a reliable source.

Exactly. Build quality issues are a problem for Tesla for sure, but paint scuffs that the CR fixes before you leave the lot should not be weighted the same as replacing a transmission after 3 years (hello there, Dodge).

Apples to apples, please.

I owned a 2006 Lexus IS350 and it was one of the worst cars I ever purchased. HID headlights would go out every time it rained and you ran through a puddle. The engine was torn down twice for defective camshafts and the fuel system leaked prompting a recall.
2006 Lexus IS Recalls & Safety Notices | Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com)

Consumer Reports gave it an excellent rating for reliability.

When will people understand the difference between anecdotal evidence and scientific evidence. You’re experience was not representative.

There are reports on these forums of cars dying as well as replacing batteries and motors within a few months of ownership.
You do realize that there are hundreds of thousands of Teslas on the road right? I believe there's at least half a million Model 3s in the US alone. Of course, there will be parts that fail and all things considered, what you described is pretty rare (as reported on the forum) when you consider the membership volume. If you want to see a poor quality EV, go over to the Mach-E forums. Almost every aspect of that vehicle has some kind of defect. And it's made by a 100 year old company. Also, CR rated them higher in their review which tells you everything you need to know. It's so bogus that even the Mach-E owners don't buy it.

When it comes to CR, whether Tesla is at the top or bottom really doesn't matter. If the need to be biased arises (maybe because of outside influence), it'll be reflected in their reviews. They'll pick a few superficial 'issues' and claim that affected the score.

Here is a one where they were clearly deceptive:

And I've witnessed other deceptive and outright lies posted about AP.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexVCo
You do realize that there are hundreds of thousands of Teslas on the road right? I believe there's at least half a million Model 3s in the US alone. Of course, there will be parts that fail and all things considered, what you described is pretty rare (as reported on the forum) when you consider the membership volume. If you want to see a poor quality EV, go over to the Mach-E forums. Almost every aspect of that vehicle has some kind of defect. And it's made by a 100 year old company. Also, CR rated them higher in their review which tells you everything you need to know. It's so bogus that even the Mach-E owners don't buy it.

When it comes to CR, whether Tesla is at the top or bottom really doesn't matter. If the need to be biased arises (maybe because of outside influence), it'll be reflected in their reviews. They'll pick a few superficial 'issues' and claim that affected the score.

Here is a one where they were clearly deceptive:

And I've witnessed other deceptive and outright lies posted about AP.
I was commenting on the claim that CR was weighing Tesla "paint scuffs" the same as other's transmission failures. CR's ratings show "engine" failures are being reported in their surveys.

Read the CR article and not the Tesla fanboy one. CR's article was not deceptive. The Tesmanian article was. When there was news about a fatal crash and newscasters were speculating if a Tesla could drive without someone in the drivers seat CR simply tested the theory. They verified that it was true then recommended additional safeties be added.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the Model 3 does relatively well - on par with some of the cars of the top rated car manufacturers.

The other models bring the score down dramatically.

1637557343632.png

Reactions: stcptl and cwerdna
I think Consumers reports anti-Tesla bias is showing. Tesla is so terrible that they have sold every vehicle they can make at least thru the spring. They are so terrible that they have the highest owner satisfacion rating of any car. Tesla must have a lot of people fooled.

Dude, they use the exact same survey questions for every car and analyze them statistically. It's an impartial survey based on data, rates of problems of different kinds, etc. How is it "biased"? Don't be one of these ridiculous, spittle-flecked, maniacal Tesla Fan Bois.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the Model 3 does relatively well - on par with some of top rated car manufacturers The other models bring the scores down dramatically.

View attachment 735909
Makes sense. They've had time to tune the Model 3 production line, but they still are screwing up a lot of Model Y's, with "end of quarter" builds remaining notoriously rushed and error-prone. And the S/X are so low volume that the line doesn't lend itself to "3 sigma" statistical quality metrics.

I was commenting on the claim that CR was weighing Tesla "paint scuffs" the same as other's transmission failures. CR's ratings show "engine" failures are being reported in their surveys.
They absolutely do weigh superficial issues heavily according to CR excerpts posted in this Yahoo Finance article. If anyone can find the actual CR article, link it. I'm not going to subscribe to that crap.

Pay attention to this part:

Electric vehicle drive systems, or powertrains, are not the main source of problems, Fisher said. The issues reported by owners are with other features.

Then we have this:

Among electric SUVs, Fisher said Ford Motor Co's Mustang Mach-E "is the only one with above-average reliability."

Consumer Reports recommends the Tesla Model 3 sedan and rates its reliability as "average." But Fisher said the rest of Tesla's vehicles are below average.

The popular Model Y SUV, Tesla's best-selling vehicle, has problems with poorly fitting body panels, leaks and issues with its climate control, Fisher said.

The larger Model X SUV "still has problems with the falcon wing doors," Fisher said.

So poorly fitting body panels, leaks? and issues with climate control. Oh and problems with the Falcon Wing doors. Yeah, that's why they're rated so poorly. Everything else doesn't matter, and especially the fact that their powertrain (a critical part of any vehicle) is less problematic.

So going with their scoring logic, how can the Mach-E score above average in reliability knowing what we and all their owners know about its ongoing problems including 2 recalls?

Sorry, but anyone buying into CR's BS articles must be high on something.

Read the CR article and not the Tesla fanboy one. CR's article was not deceptive. The Tesmanian article was. When there was news about a fatal crash and newscasters were speculating if a Tesla could drive without someone in the drivers seat CR simply tested the theory. They verified that it was true then recommended additional safeties be added.
The point of the Tesmanian article was that CR singled out Tesla when other systems can be fooled as well, then drew the false conclusion that autopilot was unsafe because someone went out of their way to defeat the system. Darwin award winners and runners-ups should not be a consideration when judging safety. It was nothing but a hit piece.

Last edited:
They absolutely do weigh superficial issues heavily according to CR excerpts posted in this Yahoo Finance article. If anyone can find the actual CR article, link it. I'm not going to subscribe to that crap.

Pay attention to this part:

Then we have this:

So poorly fitting body panels, leaks? and issues with climate control. Oh and problems with the Falcon Wing doors. Yeah, that's why they're rated so poorly. Everything else doesn't matter, and especially the fact that their powertrain (a critical part of any vehicle) is less problematic.

So going with their scoring logic, how can the Mach-E score above average in reliability knowing what we and all their owners know about its ongoing problems including 2 recalls?

Sorry, but anyone buying into CR's BS articles must be high on something.

The point of the Tesmanian article was that CR singled out Tesla when other systems can be fooled as well, then drew the false conclusion that autopilot was unsafe because someone went out of their way to defeat the system. Darwin award winners and runners-ups should not be a consideration when judging safety. It was nothing but a hit piece.

Because the Mach-E owners that answered the survey questions answered favorably?

What part are people not understanding that all this is based on surveys sent out to currents owners with specific questions? CR didn’t just make this up lol

Reactions: AlexVCo and stcptl
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the Model 3 does relatively well - on par with some of the cars of the top rated car manufacturers.

The other models bring the score down dramatically.

View attachment 735909
Should these data tell me that Model Y is 3.28 times less reliable than Model 3? I now wonder about the statistical deviation of their data. Do you have any access to more details about their data. How many responses have they collected for Model Y and for other Teslas and other brands?