Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ranks 2nd worst in Consumer reports reliability survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what's 'yellow ring'?
A yellow colored band that forms around the edges of the LCD display on the S and X. Supposedly from improperly cured glue. Lots of long threads, but Tesla initially said it was not a defect, but then started losing arbitration cases and implemented a temporary UV light curing fix as a "goodwill" measure. I don't know the latest on if they ever came up with a permanent fix.

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr
I think we have a lot of tolerance to faults that we wouldn’t necessarily be happy with on a legacy manufacturers car.
I think we realize that it’s a start up company and can forgive some teething issues. We also appreciate the ethos of the company and the affect it’s having on other manufacturers. We also realize that if you want cutting edge there could be some problems.
And most of all, we recognize our own culpability as early adopters

Last edited:
Actually, the magazine has been called Consumer Reports for decades. Consumers Union officially changed its name to Consumer Reports in 2012 because that’s what everyone recognized and knew them as anyway. Since the only thing people saw was the name on the magazine, I’m sure not many noticed.

Thanks. That makes sense. 2012 is not that long ago.

Most of the trashing on this thread seems to be more about people who like their cars getting defensive about someone saying they have problems.

Which is why CR is constantly being accused of bias by the fans of whatever product scores low. If we believed such people, CR is biased against everything.

Considering how much Tesla is selling, the buyers aren't paying any mind to CR's BS reliability scores, and for good reason.

As I've said repeatedly, reliability is just one factor among many when people evaluate a product. Jaguars are notoriously unreliable, but there are people who love them. People who consult CR prior to buying a car are not going to look at only reliability. Especially when "most unreliable" might mean a 1% chance of having a serious problem. Even my Zap Xebra, possibly the worst-designed and worst-constructed car in history, never left me stranded in four years of daily driving.

I bought both my first and second Teslas knowing that they would be far less reliable than either the Prius or the Civic. But I wanted an electric car with more range and power than the Xebra.

Reliability is not the only, or even the major factor in selecting a car.

Are All Problems Considered Equally Serious?
Engine major, engine cooling, transmission major, and drive system problems are more likely to take a car out of service and to be more expensive to repair than the other problem areas. Consequently, we weight these areas more heavily in our calculations of model year overall reliability verdict. Problems such as broken trim and in-car electronics have a much smaller weight. Problems in any area can be an expense and a bother, though, so we report them all in the reliability history charts.

And there we have it! CR does not give equal weight to minor problems as it does to major ones.

I think we have a lot of tolerance to faults that we wouldn’t necessarily be happy with on a legacy manufacturers car.
I think we realize that it’s a start up company and can forgive some teething issues. We also appreciate the ethos of the company and the affect it’s having on other manufacturers. We also realize that if you want cutting edge there could be some problems.
And most of all, we recognize our own culpability as early adopters

Tesla is no longer a start up company.

Reactions: drdumont and stcptl
A yellow colored band that forms around the edges of the LCD display on the S and X. Supposedly from improperly cured glue. Lots of long threads, but Tesla initially said it was not a defect, but then started losing arbitration cases and implemented a temporary UV light curing fix as a "goodwill" measure. I don't know the latest on if they ever came up with a permanent fix.
Thanks. Sounds as an aesthetics defect. Did any screens stop working as a result? Tesla seems to be similar to all other manufacturers in trying to delay responsibility for fixing defects.

Should these data tell me that Model Y is 3.28 times less reliable than Model 3? I now wonder about the statistical deviation of their data. Do you have any access to more details about their data. How many responses have they collected for Model Y and for other Teslas and other brands?
No, I don't have any more details. Note that the breakdown I posted is visible by clicking on the manufacturer bar graph in the OP link.

A/c smell is a common problem with all cars and not a defect
Maybe in more humid places? I have been driving since the 80's and none of the cars ever had the A/C smell here in SoCal. I think it has to do with the Cabin Overheat Protection. I actually turned that to Air Only after the software update came out, but that was too late already. The smell is less now but still noticeable in the summer. I know I need to clean it and Tesla would charge me for it or I have to do it myself.

Yes, I would argue that "something's very wrong with this horse". Without mentioning Tesla, Lincolns are both very satisfying and least reliable according to CR. This makes no sense. Considering that CR is most likely pooped out the results out of the very same surveys, we can safely conclude that either
1) CR respondents are finding pleasure in torture (aka masochists) or
2) CR respondents don't give a $hit about some of the reliability categories that CR gives a lot of relative weight.
It can absolutely make sense that consumers buy a lot of vehicles they can be satisfied with overall that otherwise have poor reliability and/or quality.
To everyone hating on consumer reports, JD Power has similar findings that Tesla’s reliability and quality are amongst the worst. And anecdotal experiences are not scientific evidence.

Maybe in more humid places? I have been driving since the 80's and none of the cars ever had the A/C smell here in SoCal. I think it has to do with the Cabin Overheat Protection. I actually turned that to Air Only after the software update came out, but that was too late already. The smell is less now but still noticeable in the summer. I know I need to clean it and Tesla would charge me for it or I have to do it myself.
Not in Socal, I call BS. It happens to cars in socal too. Keep the cabin intake tract clean...

Reactions: drdumont
So what does Warranty Week show about Tesla related to other manufacturers

Tesla is of course doing better than the other two and have been steadily improving since 2016. I don't have info for the other manufacturers yet. I don't subscribe to it, but go through the archived data which is free.

This trumps any data from CR as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't need to be granular. It tells me that Teslas haven't gotten any more problematic in general over the years, and instead have improved.

Last edited:
Reactions: drdumont and alexgr
Tesla ranks 2nd worst in Consumer reports reliability survey

Who Makes the Most Reliable New Cars?
My Model 3 and my Model Y were the 2 most reliable cars I have ever owned. Never had any problem with them. During my 15 years of ICE car ownership on the other hand, I’ve spent almost more time at the garage and the gas station than driving them.

They do define all those terms on their website and in the survey. As far as recalls, they don't count them if that was the only reason for the issue. So I guess my power steering bolts failing on our S (stranding event) would still count even though there was a recall. Those Mach E issues might not be counting if the owner didn't experience a failure. That would apply to Tesla too.

"
How Are the Surveys Conducted?
Consumer Reports’ Survey Research Department conducts multiple Auto Surveys each year asking about reliability as well as satisfaction. For reliability, we ask members to note any problems with their vehicles that occurred in the previous 12 months. They are asked to identify problems that they considered serious (because of cost, failure, safety, or downtime). We ask them to include problems covered by warranty, but not the ones resulting from accident damage or due solely to recall. Respondents check off problems from a list of trouble areas, ranging from the engine and transmission to climate system, brakes, electrical system, and power accessories. They also tell us in writing (verbatim) specifically what their experiences were to help us understand precisely what problems they are having. (See the full list of trouble spots below.)

What Do the Trouble Areas Cover?
Our Reliability History charts cover problems in any of 17 trouble areas. Here’s a look at what’s covered in each of those areas, listed in order of mechanical and more serious problems first:

ENGINE (or ELECTRIC MOTOR), MAJOR: Engine or electric motor rebuild or replacement, cylinder head, head gasket, turbocharger or supercharger, timing chain or belt.

ENGINE (or ELECTRIC MOTOR), MINOR: Accessory belts and pulleys, engine computer, engine mounts, engine knock or ping, electric motor malfunction, fuel leaks, oil leaks.

ENGINE COOLING: Radiator, cooling fan, water pump, thermostat, antifreeze leaks, overheating.

TRANSMISSION, MAJOR: Transmission rebuild or replacement, torque converter, premature clutch replacement.

TRANSMISSION, MINOR: Gear selector and linkage, transmission computer, transmission sensor or solenoid, clutch adjustment, rough shifting, slipping transmission, leaks.

DRIVE SYSTEM: Driveshaft or axle, CV joint, differential, transfer case, four-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive components, driveline vibration, electrical failure, traction control, electronic stability control.

FUEL SYSTEM/EMISSIONS: Sensors (O₂, or oxygen, sensor), emission-control devices (includes EGR), fuel-injection system, fuel gauge/sender, fuel pump, problems filling up the tank.

ELECTRICAL (or CHARGING) SYSTEM: Alternator, starter, hybrid/electric battery replacement, hybrid/electric battery related systems, regular battery, battery cables, engine harness, coil, ignition switch, electronic ignition, spark plugs and wires failure, auto stop/start, electric vehicle charging.

CLIMATE SYSTEM: AC compressor, blower (fan) motor, condenser, evaporator, heater system, automatic climate system, electrical failure, refrigerant leakage.

SUSPENSION/STEERING: Shocks or struts, ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, alignment, steering linkage (includes rack and pinion), power steering (pumps and hoses, leaks), wheel balance, springs or torsion bars, bushings, electronic or air suspension.

BRAKES: Antilock system, parking brake, master cylinder, calipers, rotors, pulsation or vibration, squeaking, brake failure, premature wear, regenerative braking.

EXHAUST: Muffler, pipes, catalytic converter, exhaust manifold, heat shields, leaks.

PAINT/TRIM: Paint (fading, chalking, peeling, or cracking), loose interior or exterior trim or moldings, rust.

BODY INTEGRITY (Noises/leaks): Squeaks, rattles, wind noises, seals and/or weather stripping, air and water leaks.

BODY HARDWARE: Windows, locks and latches, doors or sliding doors, tailgate, trunk or hatch, mirrors, seat controls (power or manual), seat belts, sunroof, convertible top, glass defect.

POWER EQUIPMENT AND ACCESSORIES: Cruise control, clock, warning lights, body control module, keyless entry, wiper motor or washer, tire pressure monitor, interior or exterior lights, horn, gauges, 12V power plug, USB port, alarm or security system, remote engine start, heated or cooled seats, heated steering wheel, headlights, automatic headlights.

IN-CAR ELECTRONICS: CD player, rear entertainment system (rear screen or DVD player), radio, speakers, in-dash GPS, display screen freezes or goes blank, phone pairing (e.g., Bluetooth), voice control commands, steering wheel controls, portable music device interface (e.g., iPod/MP3 player), backup or other camera/sensors, Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, infotainment hardware replacement and software over-the-air fixes.

Are All Problems Considered Equally Serious?
Engine major, engine cooling, transmission major, and drive system problems are more likely to take a car out of service and to be more expensive to repair than the other problem areas. Consequently, we weight these areas more heavily in our calculations of model year overall reliability verdict. Problems such as broken trim and in-car electronics have a much smaller weight. Problems in any area can be an expense and a bother, though, so we report them all in the reliability history charts.
Thanks for posting. The proper way to present this data, IMO, would be to have bar graphs for each section with each item presented on the graph. I would want to know what item in the power equipment section is most troublesome for example. I assume they are not that granular.

It happened to our MX about 2 years into ownership. It is now on our Model 3 as well, and really really yellow too. Now I am wondering if this happened because we have tinted windows that block all UV lights. If the fix is to shine UV light on the display, does it mean the yellow ring form because of the lack of UV lights?

Well, Tesla is pretty infamous for their suspension issues, so I think those should count too. And it appears the Model 3 is not immune as that fleet ages, so I expect that to continue to be an issue. Plus it's not like drive units haven't been historically problematic. And older Model S batteries are starting to fail now, so you have that as well.

Teslas problems aren't just misaligned panels and rattles. Not sure why folks have that idea. All those larger issues are discussed widely here.

The areas that CR claims to weigh heavily are green for the Model 3. And as far as the suspension is concerned this is mostly with the earlier models from what I've seen in the forum. So, they don't seem to be following their own stated rules. As for the Mach-E, looking at their forums, most of the CR sections should be orange or red as they have issues with their climate system, electronics, brakes, batteries (bad cells), cooling system....Even if the survey was early, the reality vs their data are polar opposites.

Need:

It happened to our MX about 2 years into ownership. It is now on our Model 3 as well, and really really yellow too. Now I am wondering if this happened because we have tinted windows that block all UV lights. If the fix is to shine UV light on the display, does it mean the yellow ring form because of the lack of UV lights?

You're one of the only members who posted about a yellow Model 3 screen. Anyone else?

Last edited:
It can absolutely make sense that consumers buy a lot of vehicles they can be satisfied with overall that otherwise have poor reliability and/or quality.
To everyone hating on consumer reports, JD Power has similar findings that Tesla’s reliability and quality are amongst the worst. And anecdotal experiences are not scientific evidence.
Thank you. Now it all makes perfect sense! All those Mach-E customers are expressing their great satisfucktion when stranded on the road because of their Mach-E many malfunctions. 😝