Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ranks lowest on J.D. Power 2020 quality study, 250 problems per 100 cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Heck, I have 250 problems on my new Model 3 ALONE.

That is so good of you to take the problems of a hundred other cars so their new owners don't have any. Like mine. OK, I just have a new Model S and a two year old 3, but neither one had one tiny flaw anywhere. Not that I looked, but they don't. I guess the Y is so much more complicated than an S or 3 that it's bound to have trouble, but hopefully a few good ones will leak out and break the spell.

Personally I don't count it a problem if the Service Center can fix it. Like a scratch in the paint, or even a rear window that can be re-set. Sure, the SC should have found these, but they can be fixed. Remember, there are a BUNCH of newbie workers who are trying to get out several tons of new cars every hour, from Ses and Xes to 3s and Ys. Things will slip through.

For the record, I am OCD and not much meets with my approval, especially some of the horrendous grammar and spelling found in this forum, but like you all I choose to give out a lot of slack. It makes the world go 'round with a few less squeaks.

Anecdotes are not very useful. JD Power methodology acts to accentuate minor issues and minimize major ones due to counting every thing as more or less equal in weighting. Based on a good many years of dealing with JD Power regarding vehicle evaluations on behalf of a major OEM I doubt that they are swayed materially by promotional considerations. There is also no question that Tesla would fare poorly because they would count a comment about tire noise as more or less equal to a transmission failure. The early Model S and Model X had many repairs and modifications, all of which count as problem even though they were all repaired under warranty.
Bluntly, consumer surveys, by definition, tend towards reliable mediocrity vs unusual innovation. There is no reliable way to adjust for a highly innovative product, nor one that continuously improves.

I am not against JD Power nor Consumer Reports. Both report aggurately on the majority of generic products. Both cannot do a good job reporting on anything innovative or unusual.

That is the inevitable result of reporting according to the lowest common denominator.

It is indeed a bummer to see Tesla on the bottom, and I sure hope they take it seriously and deliver their cars in better shape. I know they can; it's just a matter of what they choose to focus on. I think they should, because it's got to be expensive to fix this stuff after delivery, and as a "new" and controversial automaker, this stuff gets an abnormal amount of scrutiny.

But really, if you look at the data...are these numbers going to affect your buying decision? The chart shows a pretty steady distribution of problem rates from 1.36 to 2.5 per car, less than a 2x difference between best and worst. Even the best has problems, and the worst doesn't have a huge number of problems. (Plus, as others have pointed out, the problems generally seem to be minor cosmetic issues).

The next time you buy a car, will you say "To heck with Tesla because they are in last place, I'm going with one of their main competitors, like MB, Volvo or Audi"? Sure, your expected new-car problem rate won't be 2.5...but it will still be over 2.

Or will you say, "I'm reducing my problems as much as possible, and going with the best...that savings of 1.14 expected problems has driven me to buy a Dodge!"

Audi seems to be selling well despite their 2.25 rating.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I actually think it'd be interesting to compare the initial quality of cars delivered in months 1 and 2 of the quarter vs. those in the last month. Since basically the very beginning Tesla has sold almost anything with wheels in the last 2 weeks of the quarter and let the SCs sort it out later. It seems pretty likely to me that those cars see an unusually high percentage of these initial issues.

Reactions: israndy
Will JD Powers affect my buying decisions? Yes. I realize some people received cars without any defects, but simple probability is that a buyer will receive a defect or two. Or more. Our local SC has run out of loaner cars and appointments are stretching out.

I’ll revisit buying a MY when they are able to reliably get the panels on evenly and the paint without drips and swirls. The technology is the best but my neighbor can’t use his Tesla until they replace the cooling system they forgot to charge with coolant before it was delivered. What good is technology for an undrivable car? And what else was forgotten that an owner can’t see until it fails?

My guess is that the QC people were used to deliver cars at quarter-end. Underneath it may be the best car ever, but if it looks like junk on the outside, what else wasn’t built correctly? If I was in the marketing department I would be screaming for improved QC. Reputations can be lost in a day, or when buying your first Tesla, but it takes years to regain trust.