Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla reaches 902 million Enhanced Autopilot miles — what next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Estimate by Lex Fridman at MIT:

plot3_ap_animated_miles_plot.png

Accelerating doublings

As Tesla deliveries accumulate and the rate of Model 3 deliveries accelerates, the number of Enhanced Autopilot miles driven every month will increase exponentially.

Lex estimates that Tesla has delivered about 280,000 HW2 cars. At 312,400 HW2 deliveries, Tesla will hit a run rate of 902 million Enhanced Autopilot miles a year — a doubling since October 2016, when HW2 was launched. At 624,800 HW2 deliveries (which Tesla will probably hit in about 9 months, give or take 3 months), the run rate will double again to 902 million miles every 6 months.

And in another year after that — assuming a steady rate of 10,000 Model 3 deliveries per week — the run rate will double to 902 million miles every 3 months. In 2021, with production starting at the Shanghai factory, the pace of deliveries will increase and the time between doublings will start to shrink.

If the Shanghai factory produces as many cars as the Fremont factory is expected to, then by the end of 2021 the run rate will be 902 million miles every 3 weeks. This is before accounting for any potential increase in usage from new features like Navigate on Autopilot, or general improvements in lane keeping.

Data determinism: considerations for

My assumption is that Tesla will be able to use data collected from cars while Enhanced Autopilot is engaged to improve perception, path planning, and control, as well as to compile HD maps. Perception can be improved by collecting camera images and hand labelling them to train neural networks. (Is radar also trainable? What about ultrasonics?) Path planning and control can be improved by snapshotting disengagements and aborts and using them to either train neural networks or inform human software engineers, as the case may be.

By snapshotting useful moments for billions of miles of driving on Enhanced Autopilot, Tesla can improve Enhanced Autopilot and the perception, path planning, and control subsystems for Full Self-Driving Capability.

Research and expert opinion on deep supervised learning and deep reinforcement learning suggests to me that the primary differentiator or competitive advantage in the performance of neural networks in commercial applications like vehicle autonomy is the size and quality of cleaned, curated, well-labelled data sets.

Data determinism: considerations against

I am unclear on the degree to which open source or academic neural network architectures differ in performance from proprietary architectures on the same data sets. It could be that advantages in AI talent and/or computing resources enables a company like Google to secretly develop proprietary neural network architectures that significantly outperform anything else. But isn’t the design of neural networks increasingly automated? Or are humans still better at it? If you are automating neural network design, doesn’t your algorithm still try to find the optimal architecture for the data set you have? In which case it seems like data sets still might matter most, regardless of how much compute you have.

If neural network architecture isn’t a key differentiator, or if its importance pales in comparison to that of data sets, then Tesla is in good shape. The amount of data that Tesla can choose to sample from is increasing exponentially. Tesla can use the cash flow it’s generating from Model 3 sales to pay for the human labour needed to label that data. Previously, I did some rough back-of-the-envelope math and, depending on a few variables, it looks like manually annotating 1 or 2 billion miles’ worth of footage per year might not be prohibitively expensive. There are probably ways for Tesla to intelligently narrow down the data that would be useful to annotate — I reckon it’s a small fraction of miles driven on Enhanced Autopilot.

One rejoinder is that regardless of how much labelled data you have, you still need the AI talent and good ol’ fashioned software engineering talent to develop an actual, working autonomy backend and product. This is true. Tesla is fortunate in that, according to one survey of people who work in tech, it was the 2nd most attractive tech company for prospective employees in the Bay Area, behind only Google. Tesla was also 4th in the world, behind SpaceX at #1 (which shares personnel and IP with Tesla), Google, and Shopify.

Tesla’s ability to attract Chris Lattner to lead the Autopilot software team is a sign of its ability to pull top talent, even though it didn’t work out. Lattner went to Google Brain after Tesla. Andrej Karpathy seems like a pretty well-respected figure in AI, although perhaps he is respected more as a teacher than a researcher. I’m not sure.

R&D funding is another area where Google has Tesla beat (along with AI talent and compute). Funding is relevant only insofar as what it’s used to pay for: AI talent, software 1.0 engineering talent, compute, manual data labelling, and real world vehicle testing. Labelling is only relevant if Waymo is collecting a higher quantity of useful data than Tesla. The scale of Tesla’s in-house vehicle testing is unknown. I already discussed compute in the context of neural network architecture search; simulation is also relevant, but useful simulation scenarios seem constrained by real world data.

People seem to agree that more software 1.0 engineers don’t make software development faster. The optimum for software 2.0/AI might also be small teams when it comes to designing neural networks or designing neural network search algorithms. Although Google might have an advantage in having several different research teams working on proprietary neural network architectures and network architecture search.

Lidar is its own, long discussion. I’m hoping @verygreen will test Tesla’s camera-based depth estimation.

The cash value

Because I’m an investor, at this point in my thought process I resolve the uncertainty by incorporating actionable financial information. Suppose the global autonomy market is worth $1.5 trillion. Suppose Waymo captures a 50% market share, worth $750 billion. Since Alphabet’s market cap is already $800 billion, that’s an increase of 94%. Suppose Tesla only captures a 7.5% market share, worth $112.5 billion, and all the value of its current businesses is wiped away. That’s a 125% increase. Alphabet, by being so valuable, has a huge financial handicap. As long as Tesla still succeeds in the autonomy market, Waymo can win by a lot in terms of technology and still be a worse investment.

That said, I still lean toward data determinism. The importance of training data for neural network performance is shown by publicly available research and it’s something deep learning experts talk openly about. The superiority of proprietary neural network architectures is just conjecture — a possibility, rather than a known fact.

As the years go by and HW2 Teslas drive billions of miles on Enhanced Autopilot — and Tesla hopefully tries to get maximum usefulness out of the data — it should become increasingly clear what’s true. We can watch Tesla’s progress and Waymo’s progress and see what happens. Elon keeps saying that Tesla’s progress on autonomy will happen exponentially. Well, one of the inputs to progress — driving data available for collection — will certainly increase exponentially. In other contexts like AlphaGo, neural networks have rapidly moved from subhuman performance to superhuman performance — with AlphaGo it happened in three years. Why couldn’t autonomous driving be the same?

You consistently present your Tesla position as an expert opinion which i don't know why. It's just an opinion based off statements from Tesla and Elon Musk. Your premise hasn't really changed since your first SA article... "Tesla Has An Immense Lead In Self-Driving". It contains the same bullet points and jump to conclusion. The problem is that you barely research these points (other than making a post on Yahoo Answers or whatever that board was). Till this day this immense lead hasn't manifested itself in any known observable way. All the observable data we have you dismiss.

An opinion from the people who used GoogleNet in a production system is not an expert opinion. You shouldn't use one source and then call it an expert opinion. A expert opinion comes from hundreds of sources. Such as the " Lidar is needed for the foreseeable future for Level 4/5 driving". That is supported by hundreds of well known experts.

You should try to practically look into a real world example of your premise or try to back it up with actual facts rather than back of the envelope math which are hilariously off.

It would take you more than 5 seconds to even process what's going on in the image before any kind of tagging begins. If you still believe your math why not hop over to spare5 and start tagging some images and see how fast you can tag each image?

A simple research into public image classification systems would show that for images you actually have to tag, it would take alot more than 5 seconds.

Another thing we have previously proven is that Tesla DOESN'T have 1 billion miles of data to tag but actually less than .01%. You failed to bring this up but we have proven from @verygreen that tesla collected data initially and randomly from cars in California and other places for a month or so and then stopped. Now they use narrow triggers to gather even less amount of data. The data they collected were short 10 seconds or so clips which mainly consisted of the main camera.

" Tesla’s progress on autonomy will happen exponentially."

It didn't happen in 2016.
It didn't happen in 2017.
It didn't happen in 2018.

Now you are saying three more years? My point is, your position can't be trusted because its dictated purely from statements by Tesla and Elon. When it fails to happen in 3 years you will simply say three more..just like elon!

A more grounded opinion is based on actual facts. The facts are that elon said Level 5 would be here by now and he can't even get a gimmick ULC to work properly. Yet you keep basing your position on his/their statements. We are basically in 2019 now as there are less than 3 months left. The consensus from the auto-manufacturers is that 2020 is the year L3/L4 Highway will be released. Therefore the Tesla position in order to be considered as "immensely leading" the SDC race Tesla needs to actually have L3/L4 highway autonomy released before that. He literally has 15 months left before 2020.

Timeline: The future of driverless cars, from Audi to Volvo

Last edited:
Reactions: caligula666
You consistently present your Tesla position as an expert opinion

No I don’t. What the heck are you talking about?

It's just an opinion based off statements from Tesla and Elon Musk.

Not true. I read academic papers, take online courses, watch talks, etc.

Your premise hasn't really changed since your first SA article... "Tesla Has An Immense Lead In Self-Driving".

Pretty much true, but I have learned a lot since then.

The problem is that you barely research these points

Completely false.

A expert opinion comes from hundreds of sources. Such as the " Lidar is needed for the foreseeable future for Level 4/5 driving". That is supported by hundreds of well known experts.

This sounds like BS. What’s your source? It seems like you just make stuff up sometimes.

A simple research into public image classification systems would show that for images you actually have to tag, it would take alot more than 5 seconds.

Another thing we have previously proven is that Tesla DOESN'T have 1 billion miles of data to tag but actually less than .01%.

You don’t understand the point I was trying to make.

Bladerskb, you disappoint me. Your behaviour is trollish. It is helpful to have dissenters who can argue the opposite view. I try to find people who disagree with me and can show me the other side of things. But your posts are increasingly abusive, confused, and frantic. You condescend. You attack straw men — in case you’re not aware, I am not Elon Musk. You make baseless accusations you can’t back up. I was hoping you would provide an argument of substance. I’m not sure why anyone would engage with you at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharps97