Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla readies revamped Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Horrible, looks like someone bought aftermarket screens from AliExpress and fitted them to a Kia from 1991. That middle screen is probably fitted to a bracket into the tape deck.
I don’t think anyone who owns an M3 can criticise the screen in any other car. The M3 just has a small screen or large tablet randomly attached to the dash without any attempt to blend in to its surroundings. It looks like the cheapest possible option, but then that’s very much in keeping with the rest of the interior.

I don’t think anyone who owns an M3 can criticise the screen in any other car. The M3 just has a small screen or large tablet randomly attached to the dash without any attempt to blend in to its surroundings. It looks like the cheapest possible option, but then that’s very much in keeping with the rest of the interior.
I'm pretty sure I can if I like, I accept you may have a different opinion. To me the Model 3 has consistent minimalist design that prioritises the screen which is in a high-quality fitting. That thing has a traditional interior with uncoordinated aftermarket screens that look completely out of place and a hideous steering wheel.

I'm pretty sure I can if I like, I accept you may have a different opinion. To me the Model 3 has consistent minimalist design that prioritises the screen which is in a high-quality fitting. That thing has a traditional interior with uncoordinated aftermarket screens that look completely out of place and a hideous steering wheel.
Personally I think Tesla has gone too far with the minimalist design. I think it’s far more to do with saving money than making some sort of statement. It seems that Tesla are going to make it even more minimalist and save even more money. Minimalist = cheap.

Of course it prioritises the screen because there’s nothing else in there.

I certainly have a different opinion. The interior of the M3 is consistently cheap. Nothing about it suggests quality, not even the fitting of the screen which you so admire. The vegan “leather” is awful.

When I bought my M3 there wasn’t much competition. Thank goodness things have changed radically. There is life after Tesla, except for the fanboys. I’m done with mediocrity.

I certainly have a different opinion. The interior of the M3 is consistently cheap. Nothing about it suggests quality, not even the fitting of the screen which you so admire. The vegan “leather” is awful.

When I bought my M3 there wasn’t much competition. Thank goodness things have changed radically. There is life after Tesla, except for the fanboys. I’m done with mediocrity.
There are new competitive EVs on the market, but their manufacturing capacities are too low to make much of an impact.

I'd suggest everyone keep their hopes and dreams of a "next generation model 3" very much in check.

Reality is Tesla is hyper focused on reduced production complexity and shorter bill-of-goods for their entry level cars. There may be a creative new bit or two in whatever the revamp is, but I expect most of this is gonna be removal of stuff of the no-passenger-lumbar, get-rid-of-stalks variety along with changes we can't even see where framing inside the center console becomes a single piece instead of a half dozen.

Reactions: Durzel
I absolutely disagree. ;) There you go!

That will change, and more quickly than most people think. In just 5 years Tesla will not be dominant in any market anywhere in the world. In 10 years no one will be talking about Tesla.

I don't think Tesla needs or wants to be dominant in the market.

They have dominated the first few percent of people switching over from IC to EV. They owned a majority of that initial shift.

Now, belatedly, the rest of the makers are coming to the party, and with a wider range of products some of which are getting moderately competitive. I think the new Mercedes EQE will carve a luxury niche above the model 3/Y. I think the assorted Hyundai offerings will eventually offer a good cheaper alternative under today's 3 and Y.

But Tesla doesn't need to "dominate" in order to keep growing and succeeding. They got most of the first 5%. If they only get a half of the next 50% that moves them from 5% to 30% - also know as 6x growth. As a Tesla investor I'm willing to work with that "loss" of "market share"

My first impression of the Model 3 interior was of blessed relief. Clean, bright, open and relaxed. I used to love lots of dials and buttons and switches and this was like something from another planet!

The reality of living with car for more than 3 years hasn’t changed my view. I would question some of the detail of the screen user interface but there is far more good than bad. I haven’t actually seen another car interior style that I would prefer… and usually other car interiors make me feel closed in and surrounded by “stuff”. They seem dated. All the materials remain in great condition so I have no reason to question the overall quality. I was never a great fan of the fashion for leather upholstery in cars in recent years but the soft touch “leather” in the Tesla works well, and several people have assumed it was real leather.

The door unlocking buttons remain a bit of a pain for passengers as they have to be pointed out every time, so that’s an indication of something the designers could have dealt with differently. Maybe the graphic symbols on newer cars make them more obvious.

Everybody is entitled to their own preferences but it surprises me that anyone with such a strong negative view of the Tesla interior would ever have considered buying one. You spend a lot of time in there and if it doesn’t feel like a nice place to be … why would you?

That will change, and more quickly than most people think. In just 5 years Tesla will not be dominant in any market anywhere in the world. In 10 years no one will be talking about Tesla.
You sound like TSLAQ. Pretty much the polar opposite of the fanboys. "Tesla can't do anything right and will get run over by all those better companies with their supposedly outstanding products." Did I state that correctly?

Reactions: Cardo
There are new competitive EVs on the market, but their manufacturing capacities are too low to make much of an impact.

...AND you can't be sure the other manufacturers are serious about it

Maybe they'll build just enough models to present a rival to Tesla, but the Master Plan (tm) is really to take away enough business that Tesla ceases to exist as a competitor, so that they can then get back to doing what they know best and love - building dead dinosaur burners

Because face it, had Tesla not started the make to EVs, NOT A SINGLE ONE of the other manufacturers would have

Reactions: Chickenlips
That car could be amazing but if it's got no dealers supporting it (and you) then would you honestly consider it?

Where are you supposed to take it if you have problems? They have no presence in the UK as far as I can tell. At least Tesla have mobile service to compensate for their service centres being scattered.
They will have soon

And yes, there are yet to be answered questions such as real world range, noise levels, ride quality etc. but BYD is a huge company and are looking to establish a real presence in the west. I really like the car and it's currently top of my list for replacement of my model 3. I'm not fussed with being an early adopter.

Last edited:
Reactions: CWT3LR and Pants
Because face it, had Tesla not started the make to EVs, NOT A SINGLE ONE of the other manufacturers would have
So Nissan never made the Leaf and the Renault ZOE has not been available since 2012, selling in large numbers in Europe?

I drive both a Model 3 and a ZOE. Both are great EVs. But only the ZOE meets Musk's target of a sub $30k EV.

So you really mean "had Tesla not started to make EVs, not a single US manufacturer would have".