Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla readies revamped Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is ridiculous. You just invented a very specific scenario for which you appear to have no evidence. You then criticise Elon Musk on the basis of a response to the scenario that you just imagined! You made something up and made yourself angry about it ...

And someone got too defensive over criticism to another person. Says more about you than me.
I was just laughing, you seem to have taken it a bit too personally.

Are you one of the fanboys defending Tesla vision, the wipers, or the removal of USS? LOL.

And someone got too defensive over criticism to another person. Says more about you than me.
I was just laughing, you seem to have taken it a bit too personally.

Are you one of the fanboys defending Tesla vision, the wipers, or the removal of USS? LOL.

I am not a "fan" of Elon Musk. I'm not a "fan" of any CEO. I have never defended the removal of USS or of the move towards Tesla Vision. My position on wiper performance should be evident from the posts on the forum which recognise poor performance of wipers in the dark. I can only comment on my own direct experience of wiper performance which is that daytime function is generally good and that I don't have the problems of day time dry wiping ... others have different experiences. I don't make up things about other people and I don't then criticise them for the thing that I just made up! I would defend any individual who was on the receiving end of that.

Really! FFS how much does a temperature sensor cost? we have to trust the weather forecast + internet connectivity now to see if it might be icy :rolleyes:
I think you're missing the bigger picture here.....

Just think about all the hardware the "legacy" owners are going to be able to remove from their cars in future and the impact the weight loss will have on the 0-60 times. Usually cars only improve their speed post purchase by adding hardware, this approach is nothing short of genius! 🙃

/s

Especially when "Tesla made a profit of just over $9,500 for every car sold, compared to roughly $1,300 for Toyota, according to disclosures by both companies."
I think that might miss the critical big picture though. I'm sure all of us would love to have Tesla sharing more of that $9,500 with us but the bottom line in all this is that this means Tesla can drop the price even further than they have and still make money while the competition is losing money on their EV lines. Only BYD is making money on electric vehicles and it's pennies compared to the nearly $10,000 Tesla is making per car. It also means with further economies and streamlining and consolidating of manufacturing which Tesla is doing faster and better than anybody that the $25,000 electric vehicle with decent range is right around the corner and not some unicorn at the end of the rainbow like the fossil fuel folks have been saying. That measly $25,000 means the Tesla is able to create a much larger addressable market. Virtually everybody who can afford a car can afford one of these. This is all part of truly accelerating the transition to sustainable energy and transportation.

Tesla is just crushing processes that other deeply talented Legacy automakers can't seem to execute. We are seeing not just a disruptor but a genius disruptor that is moving the goalposts in so many ways. And I'm not talking about Elon I'm talking about the entire team of deep talent at Tesla.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230415-105542.png

Thoughts??

Also, like it if true. If not I still expect them to change the front to reduce drag. The Model S after it’s refresh is quite a bit more slippery than the Model 3. Sure I read that around 60% of all power at motorway speeds goes to overcoming drag so lowering that can improve efficiency quite a bit.

I still think the biggest issue with electric cars is the real world range is a bit too low. For this small country not quite as bad but more range means less need to use public chargers vs the charge you get cheaper at home. Model 3 Performance is barely over 200 miles, my Land Rover is 600 miles at the same time of the year between fillup. Even my old 6.6 litre V12 car could do 300 miles. I'd like to see them get to a real world range of 400 miles at least, will need larger battery capacity I think.

I'd like to see them get to a real world range of 400 miles at least, will need larger battery capacity I think.

Personally I don't see the point. Sure, I'd be very happy not to have to queue and charge ... but when I drive more than 200 miles I benefit from stopping and having a rest.

I've driven to the annual skiing holiday, in the alps, for the last 20 or 30 years (purely as an alternative to the cattle-market flying experience). In ICE that was a single refuelling stop, taking all of 5 minutes, and a pitstop measures in seconds! to swap drivers every 3 hours or so. We would also typically stop for an hour for lunch. Every time we arrived knackered (but knew no different).

Now we take EV the journey is an hour longer (700-ish miles, with 3x20 minute additional charging stops. We are now MUCH older! than when we first started doing it but arrive far more refreshed than ever we did when we were younger.

I've gone from a 240 mile EV (100% charge, real world 70MPH range) to 300 miles with current EV, and my supercharging has gone from 2 days a month to a couple of times a year, so in my case that has made a difference - but my day-trips, of more than 300 miles, are pretty much non-existent. I'm surprised your M3P is only giving you 200 miles (when trogging along the motorway)

I'd prefer a range extender (lawn mower engine/generator to top up battery), but they seem to have gone out of fashion. I could have a battery half the size, and weight, and car makers could make 2x as many cars with the currently available batteries, and I could go anywhere with a gallon or two of petrol. Doesn't look like I'm going to get that wish though ... so I'm lugging a tonne of battery with me when I just nip to the shops.

Reactions: Exy1 and pow216
Also, like it if true. If not I still expect them to change the front to reduce drag.
My own reason for questioning the image is that the front looks too simple aerodynamically. The side slots on Teslas and on other makes where air is channelled from inboard via the wheel well have been vaunted as significant contributors to aerodynamic efficiency. If a simple front end like the one pictured works just as well then you wonder why the more sophisticated version was ever developed.

I'd prefer a range extender (lawn mower engine/generator to top up battery), but they seem to have gone out of fashion. I could have a battery half the size, and weight, and car makers could make 2x as many cars with the currently available batteries, and I could go anywhere with a gallon or two of petrol. Doesn't look like I'm going to get that wish though ... so I'm lugging a tonne of battery with me when I just nip to the shops.

But then you are lugging around a range extender all the time so your range will be lower than before and you will need to use the ranger extender when previously you wouldn't have needed to. Given that the requirement for the range extension would be so infrequent (for most people) with modern EV ranges I can see why this idea appears to have fallen out of favour.

Reactions: pow216
Removing the external temperature sensor would harm efficiency of cabin heating, so it’d be a particularly stupid decision. Can’t rely on interwebs temperature info if you want to do half decent weather compensation as the car might be parked in a location much colder or warmer than the average temperature the weather service is providing.

The most efficient home central heating systems all have an outdoor temperature sensors for a reason, no point heating stuff up more than necessary to offset the external temperature.