Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla readies revamped Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s all these rumours of revamped interiors flying round. I’m pretty certain all Tesla are looking to do is more uni-body single cast stuff with a structural battery pack to save weight/cost, much like with the Y. There may be some minor interior tweaks as happens on occasion, but nothing major. The frenzy about wished-for interiors will result in much disappointment, I fear.

Reactions: ACarneiro
What I’d like in a refreshed M3:

1. More comfort and refinement. My M3P is way too noisy at motorways speeds for a car in this price range.
  2. More supportive seats in the Performance model.
  3. A decent binnacle display.
  4. A HUD.
  5. A few physical controls for HVAC without cluttering the cabin.
  6. Acres of real dead cow for the interior. The vegan “leather” looks and feels like no leather I’ve ever seen and just makes the interior look cheap. Which it is.
I know I’ve got zero chance of any of these.
Totally agree with all of the above. There are cars coming to the UK next year that tick these boxes, one in particular that I have in mind.

I don't want a yoke and all the early production issues that a new model brings. I do miss the USS though!
One of the reasons I made the decision to purchase was that the M3 Refresh had been out for a year and a bit when I ordered, and is built on the M3. While there are of course problems reported here, we're now to mid-run where there are fewer surprises.
My previous Suzuki Swift was one of the first of the "all new" 2017 models, and I had about 3 recalls for serious stuff (Leave it at the garage for a day, not "Oh noes, we need to press the software update button again"), loads of grief with ADAS after a windscreen replacement and 3 trips for a duff steering wheel rack. The dealership was great, always very helpful and I miss the level of service, but too many visits...

Having seen a story that there’s allegedly fake news about a joint venture between tesla and a company that doesn’t seem to exist, and the number of false starts to new features (Apple Music may be dead as Musk is having a spat with apple over Twitter), and some of these stories with sources quite high up the chain, I don’t know what to believe.

I don’t think it unreasonable to think some of the production improvements will make it to the M3 line at some point. I don’t think it unreasonable to think some of the MSX DNA will migrate over too, and to both M3 and MY. But when, that’s anybody’s guess.

Tesla have a busy 2023, cyber truck and semi are about to start, not to mention people are still waiting for the roadster and the international roll out of MSX, so are they really investing much effort in this space?

Reactions: zag164 and HenryT
I don't see the 3 getting a structural pack anytime soon due to limited 4680 cell production for the foreseeable future. I expect the new 3 to use the 2170 cells in a chassis incorporating castings to reduce production complexity. Also expect a new interior with a yoke and no stalks (vomit).

Makes sense. Would it be possible to replace the battery or would you have to replace the whole car?

There was some mention in an older Munro video that it would be technically possible to cut the whole section out but whether that's realistic in practice is unknown. As a general point an engine and/or gearbox can be a structural component which can be replaced ... sometimes more easily than if it's buried in amongst a separate structure.

• Informative
Reactions: Zilla91
What I’d like in a refreshed M3:

1. More comfort and refinement. My M3P is way too noisy at motorways speeds for a car in this price range.
  2. More supportive seats in the Performance model.
  3. A decent binnacle display.
  4. A HUD.
  5. A few physical controls for HVAC without cluttering the cabin.
  6. Acres of real dead cow for the interior. The vegan “leather” looks and feels like no leather I’ve ever seen and just makes the interior look cheap. Which it is.
I know I’ve got zero chance of any of these.
Exactly! And exactly why we bought a 2023 Hyundai Ioniq5. All boxes ticked except for the Ioniq5’s ventilated seating surfaces which are something called H-Tex whatever that is. Steering wheel is real leather though, and the H-Tex is better appearing to us than the Tesla fake leather. Can’t speak to the wearability though as we’ve only had the Ioniq5 for a month.

Reactions: Hurricane
Totally agree with all of the above. There are cars coming to the UK next year that tick these boxes, one in particular that I have in mind.
IIRC, you’ve had one option for a year or two already: the Ioniq5. Ticks everything but the leather seating; Hyundai uses something called H-Tex whatever that is. But steering wheel covered in real leather. Just one datapoint here, others to follow certainly.

Reactions: Hurricane
Am I the only person who thinks a structural battery pack would be an insurance nightmare if you have a bump? Or am I missing something here?
I'm sure the data I've read regarding accident statistics for all cars is that its unusual in majority of accidents to suffer damage at the sill level even with side impacts, frontal/rear heavy shunts are absorbed by the sacrificial bolt on structures to the chassis. It has to be a very high impact to deform the main structural chassis.
I guess how much of a risk it would be for a battery pack is dependent on just how well the actual cells are protected, and how resistant to impact the external structure is designed regarding dissipation of impact and rigidity.

Insurance risks I will accept are complex, but I'm also convinced there is a good deal of "what we can get away with" loading added to premiums. EVs are expensive so in the eyes of an underwriter you can afford to pay more anyway, and currently we are in that phase of EVs where garages are afraid of doing anything with an EV - so limited repair options. It's a transition period for mechanics who have little experience of high voltage DC repairs, over zealous Health and Safety legislation or interpretation doesn't help, (H&S is designed to promote a way of doing something in a safe way, but many use it as an excuse not to do anything at all - and that view is often the case of those trained in IOSH or Nebosh) and a general lack of understanding by everyone except the manufacturers of real risks.

Reactions: ACarneiro
IIRC, you’ve had one option for a year or two already: the Ioniq5. Ticks everything but the leather seating; Hyundai uses something called H-Tex whatever that is. But steering wheel covered in real leather. Just one datapoint here, others to follow certainly.
It's nice, but not for me. I'm waiting for this New BYD Seal is Europe-bound Tesla Model 3 rival | Autocar
1669823758804.png

It has a wiper stalk! and aircon buttons, and drive mode toggle button, and nappa leather, drivers binnacle, HUD etc.

Last edited:
Makes sense. Would it be possible to replace the battery or would you have to replace the whole car?
From recent experience it doesn't take much to write a car off. 2 year old Golf, 20 mph front end shunt, one headlamp, front bumber, bonnet pushed up a bit in to A pillar on one side, no fluids leaking but... all airbags deployed, which is a bit of an interior killer. AA man collected it and said there and then he expected it to be written off due to airbag deployment.

It's nice, but not for me. I'm waiting for this New BYD Seal is Europe-bound Tesla Model 3 rival | Autocar
View attachment 879790

It has a wiper stalk! and aircon buttons, and drive mode toggle button, and nappa leather, drivers binnacle, HUD etc.
That car could be amazing but if it's got no dealers supporting it (and you) then would you honestly consider it?

Where are you supposed to take it if you have problems? They have no presence in the UK as far as I can tell. At least Tesla have mobile service to compensate for their service centres being scattered.