Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ready, net zero home for sale.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(I am not sure where this should go, mods move this to a different forum if needed)

We are selling our EV ready net zero energy solar and geothermal powered home. We charge our Model S and Model 3 from the sun with no electric bills.

15017 49th Drive SE, Everett, WA 98208

Please let me know if you have any questions and feel free to pass this URL.

We would really love for our home to go to an EV driver who will appreciate all we have put into it over the years. We are dedicated EV owners with over 350,000 miles in all electric vehicles thus far.

Thanks,

Matt.

Worst time of year would for production would have been better to say, notably the rain and significantly less sunshine due to shorter day and sun being lower in the sky. 3 significant reasons why production is so much less during the winter.
Ironically, I say that after having a few mighty sunny days ;)

Reactions: goneskiian
Bump for the OP. Here is a link to a listing for the house, which is still available: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Everett/15017-49th-Dr-SE-98208/home/2868141

I have spent a LOT of time looking at houses in the Puget Sound area, and have never seen anything with this many features at this price. Heck, there's almost nothing like this at any price. I know the OP (I bought biodiesel from him over a decade ago, and we are at many EV events together. And hey, his stepfather bought our Sig S) and he is the kind of guy that likes to do things the right way.

Unfortunately the location does not work for us. We are buying a much more pedestrian home a long ways South of Turbofroggy's; then we'll have to spend a bunch of time and money adding features. In fact, turbo, I will probably be bugging you about that at some point.

Probably in January our current net-zero Tesla-ready home will be for sale. (Not competing with turbofroggy; we are well over an hour away and have a very different size and price).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MikeBur
I'll re-use this thread rather than creating a new one. My old house in Issaquah WA is now on the market. The house is on Redfin is HERE.

It was a technology showcase for Ichijo USA (the US branch of Japan's largest home builder). They built it at the same time as another house built to code; this one cost 50% more to build. This was done after their award-winning z-Home project that resulted in a new Built Green level beyond 5-star called "Emerald".

It's 3br + den + bonus + family, 3.5ba, 3 car garage. It has a lovely protected view from all 3 levels. (Entries are level, and master, den laundry, garage are all on main - so you can live on just one level with about 2200sf if you don't like stairs. It's also framed for an elevator to the 2nd floor). The bedroom upstairs is huge, and was designed to be split in two - just put a wall down the middle and add a door. The door is already framed inside the wall, and light switches are wired to do two rooms. Designed for inter-generational living, each generation (kids, parents, grandparents) has their own level with bedroom, bathroom, open space, and patio. All three spaces connect at the center of the house by the common area.

EV-specific stuff:
  • Tesla wall charger on a 100A circuit
  • 14-50 outlet on a 50A circuit
  • 15kW solar. 10kW came with the house and covers its electricity use (including all heat); I added the 5kW system for about 15,000 miles of free EV driving each year. In addition to net metering (so no electric bills), the state pays you for clean energy generation, although that ends in 2020.
Efficiency and comfort:
  • 4.0 COP air-to-water heat pump (Daikin Altherma)
  • Heat pump drives radiant floors throughout; also produces domestic water
  • Heat pump should work fine to any temperature you are likely to encounter here; but just in case the heat pump and 80-gal domestic water storage tank both have back-up electric elements - plus there is a separate 80 gallon water heater (which I have turned off).
  • Much more insulation than normal; including PVC window frames and styrofoam wrapping around wall studs to prevent thermal bridging
  • Almost all materials are reclaimed, partially recycled, or certified for forest management. Gypsum panel is the only exception I can recall
Water and air handling:
  • 2 heat recovery ventilators bring in fresh air constantly while retaining most of the heat
  • pervious pavers on the driveway; water soaks through them in to the ground
  • 3,000 gallon cistern collects water from the slanted roofs
  • dual plumbing allows cistern water to be used to wash cars, water plants, and flush toilets. Or you can use city water
  • no-VOC finishes throughout
  • knock-off mat, tile inside, and shoe closet help remove largest air quality issues in the home. (2nd largest is from gas cars, but...)
Convenience:
  • Drought-resistant plants
  • Aluminum panels, cement panels, and masonry on house exterior requires no care

• Love
Reactions: skitown and MikeBur
I'll re-use this thread rather than creating a new one. My old house in Issaquah WA is now on the market. The house is on Redfin is HERE.

It was a technology showcase for Ichijo USA (the US branch of Japan's largest home builder). They built it at the same time as another house built to code; this one cost 50% more to build. This was done after their award-winning z-Home project that resulted in a new Built Green level beyond 5-star called "Emerald".

It's 3br + den + bonus + family, 3.5ba, 3 car garage. It has a lovely protected view from all 3 levels. (Entries are level, and master, den laundry, garage are all on main - so you can live on just one level with about 2200sf if you don't like stairs. It's also framed for an elevator to the 2nd floor). The bedroom upstairs is huge, and was designed to be split in two - just put a wall down the middle and add a door. The door is already framed inside the wall, and light switches are wired to do two rooms. Designed for inter-generational living, each generation (kids, parents, grandparents) has their own level with bedroom, bathroom, open space, and patio. All three spaces connect at the center of the house by the common area.

EV-specific stuff:
  • 15kW solar. 10kW came with the house and covers its electricity use (including all heat); I added the 5kW system for about 15,000 miles of free EV driving each year. In addition to net metering (so no electric bills), the state pays you for clean energy generation, although that ends in 2020.
Efficiency and comfort:
  • Heat pump should work fine to any temperature you are likely to encounter here; but just in case the heat pump and 80-gal domestic water storage tank both have back-up electric elements - plus there is a separate 80 gallon water heater (which I have turned off).
  • Much more insulation than normal; including PVC window frames and styrofoam wrapping around wall studs to prevent thermal bridging
  • Almost all materials are reclaimed, partially recycled, or certified for forest management. Gypsum panel is the only exception I can recall
Water and air handling:
  • 2 heat recovery ventilators bring in fresh air constantly while retaining most of the heat
  • dual plumbing allows cistern water to be used to wash cars, water plants, and flush toilets. Or you can use city water
  • knock-off mat, tile inside, and shoe closet help remove largest air quality issues in the home. (2nd largest is from gas cars, but...)
Convenience:
  • Aluminum panels, cement panels, and masonry on house exterior requires no care

Beautiful.

EV-specific stuff:
Efficiency and comfort:
Water and air handling:
Convenience:
Wonderful home Chad. Awesome that it’s net zero, and honestly would have seriously considered if we hadn’t moved last year :)

Hadn’t even considered styrofoam-wrapped studs though makes perfect sense.

I’m sure it will sell fast to a knowledgeable buyer, and that’s a great location. Good luck with the sale. I hope you’ll see lots of traffic at the open house over the weekend.

I much prefer Zillow, so for others who do too:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1783-Harrison-Ct-NE-Issaquah-WA-98029/70582320_zpid/

Good news; for me anyway (and for green-home fans in general, I hope). My agent says there has been a lot more interest than he expected. Redfin and Zillow both report awfully large numbers of people looking at it and marking it as a favorite, at least as compared to their not-defined "competition".

We had multiple clean offers over asking price. We picked one, and are at mutual acceptance. Assuming the inspection and financing adventures go well (I assume they will - AFAIK the house is in great shape, and the buyers are putting a lot of money down), the house will have a new owner in just over a month.

Incidentally, the buyers described themselves as "Tesla fans" (which I assume means "not owners yet") and said when they both knew the house was for them was when they saw the Tesla charger in the garage. (Of the roughly 10 neighboring houses they will be able to see from their new home, at least 4 of them - including the next door neighbor - already have a Tesla so they should fit right in).

Reactions: mociaf9 and skitown