Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla readying for X assembly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is definitely great news as it means that things are on schedule (at least the factory side of it)

Has it always been the case that the Model S and X will be produced on the 'same line'? Somehow I thought it was going to be two separate lines.

Although, having toured the factory personally, I'd be hard-pressed to tell you what the definition of a 'line' actually is.

I think they are in the process of modernizing by redoing the current S line to a much larger more automated line that will handle both Ss and Xs. Not sure the existing line will still be around. Based on floor plan in a brief at TMC Connect last weekend.

There was a slide of the plan in Diarmuid Oconnell's presentation. So you should see it on the posted video. Basically, the serpentine, mag-stripe following cart things are being changed, at least partially, to a more "assembly line" kind of set up. It looked like 2 loooong parallel tracks in the area north of (?) the existing factory floor where they have made all of your Model Ss, so far. :smile:
They have lots of room.

I've always heard two production lines, handling both Model S and Model X (when it is in production).

I've recently heard that the current line will be used for engineering prototyping and other one-offs. You know, the stuff that messes up production numbers. "Under Engineering Control", the ultimate oxymoron. :)

I've always heard two production lines, handling both Model S and Model X (when it is in production).

I've recently heard that the current line will be used for engineering prototyping and other one-offs. You know, the stuff that messes up production numbers. "Under Engineering Control", the ultimate oxymoron. :)

princess bonnie's been around engineers for too long.

Last edited: