Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla really needs more colors, opened the wrong trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can always get a different spoiler or a different license plate frame, different rims, or a school sticker on the rear window glass to help differentiate your "3".

One of the many reasons I like the bare “factory” look. No stickers, no whatever - just as it came from the factory, minus the hang tag from the glovebox.

Enough of you doctor yours up, mine’s stand out all on its own. :)

Wait until we all have Cybertrucks.
clev20001x1.jpg

At cenventions, I'm often asked how I find my car when they're all "identical". I guess after 30+ years, they've all been customized just a smidge here, or have a sticker there, just enough that I have no trouble picking out my baby.

For the CT, it should have unique sounds/chirps as you approach, like a personalized ringtone. Plus a welcome message when you get inside, like "Hello Gus, would you like me to heat the steering wheel for you?"

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: EVNation and KenC
I pulled a prank on my daughter when we were driving her new/used car out to her in Santa Fe, where she had just taken a job and needed to be there quickly and the car wasn't ready. I told her I like her new car better than what I was driving, a blue Honda Odyssey, one of the most common cars and colors, and that we are driving that out to her instead. As a 20 something on her own the last thing she wanted was a minivan. Somewhere around St Louis, we found an identical car in a rest area parking lot and we took pictures of us looking like we were getting in and sent them to her. She called immediately but quickly realized it wasn't really our car. And what car did she get? The other most common car of the time, a Camry.

Here in NYC Teslas are not all that common yet. We have a charging problem here, plus a parking problem. It is probably the least practical car to have here. I'm getting one but I live in a house with a driveway and I can install a charger. Most NY'ers live in apartments that don't have parking.

Silver sounds cool. I'd be interested to know if it really available.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Red is still the only true color Tesla offers. Sigh

Everything else is greyscale, white, grey, black, disc. silver. Some look nice but it's nothing out the ordinary. The blue is also pretty dark and can look black in certain light.

One of the main things I hear car guys say is that Tesla's look boring, and I have to agree, unless you tastefully modify yours to make it look unlike the typical ordinary stock Tesla. There's a reason exotic cars are offered in exotic colors.

Vinyl wrap is the main option for actual colors. Costs ~$2,500-$5,000. Red paint is $2,000 for perspective .

I'll tell you one thing, all the looks, stares, head turns, pictures, compliments and conversations that have been started with me are all because of my car being wrapped the color it is. Would not receive the attention I do if my car was still standard ordinary white.

All Tesla's have a very clean simplistic and futuristic design and really do look great in actual colors. Wrap it!

gWBlJ1M.jpg

Last edited:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Red is still the only true color Tesla offers. Sigh

Everything else is greyscale, white, grey, black, disc. silver. Some look nice but it's nothing out the ordinary. The blue is also pretty dark and can look black in certain light.

One of the main things I hear car guys say is that Tesla's look boring, and I have to agree, unless you tastefully modify yours to make it look unlike the typical ordinary stock Tesla. There's a reason exotic cars are offered in exotic colors.

Vinyl wrap is the main option for actual colors. Costs ~$2,500-$5,000. Red paint is $2,000 for perspective .

I'll tell you one thing, all the looks, stares, head turns, pictures, compliments and conversations that have been started with me are all because of my car being wrapped the color it is. Would not receive the attention I do if my car was still standard ordinary white.

All Tesla's have a very clean simplistic and futuristic design and really do look great in actual colors. Wrap it!

gWBlJ1M.jpg
I’ve gotta agree with you. I see plenty of whites all over my neighborhood. If I had gotten a white, I would’ve wrapped it another color. I see a yellow X roaming around these parts and that thing is a beauty.

Btw, wasn’t your original color red before you wrapped it?

RED is the safest color. Even when its not a Tesla. Red jumps out against any background. Think about it. Watch all other colors on the horizon as you are about to turn right at a corner. Look over your shoulder to the left, and you don't notice grey, silver, white, black, even blue - well maybe yellow, but they blend into the background.

50 years of driving and my first RED was my Tesla. The cars about to pull out in front of you from the right turn/corner ahead of you hesitate for a moment and usually don't make that last minute jump in front of you causing you to slam on your brakes. I've not experienced this until I drove a RED car. It makes a difference.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
The other day my wife and I are chatting while pushing our grocery cart toward our Model 3, it wakes so I open the trunk then wonder who put that stuff in there? Then the driver gets out to ask me what I’m doing in his trunk when I realize my identical looking car is parked a couple more spots along. I mistook him putting his car in park as my car waking when I got in range. After a quick sorry and pointing at our car we all laughed. Tesla really needs some more colors.
I read it somewhere that people can mistakenly open other Tesla car when they are within close proximity

I walked past a row of Teslas at a Supercharger and a bunch of them flashed their lights as I walked by. I thought maybe this was an acknowledgement programmed in to recognize other Tesla drivers but not necessarily to unlock the cars.

This is a two year old thread. I just happened to post earlier in it and got an alert.

I walked past a row of Teslas at a Supercharger and a bunch of them flashed their lights as I walked by. I thought maybe this was an acknowledgement programmed in to recognize other Tesla drivers but not necessarily to unlock the cars.

This is a two year old thread. I just happened to post earlier in it and got an alert.
the lights flashed cause of sentry

Hello kitty bumper stickers!

I'm a realtor and one time I was driving my wife's Lexus RX to preview a house. There was someone else at the house finishing up, so I let them finish and lock up. The lady (staring at her phone) walked right up to my car, opened the driver's door and nearly sat in my lap before she realized she wasn't getting into her own car. Hers was a GMC Acadia (aside from general shape and size, looks nothing like a Lexus RX). Some people are just too distracted.

• Funny
Reactions: CyberGus
Two guys decided to go to the horse auction together, interested in owning horses.
So, each bought a horse and paid for delivery back at their property. The horses were off loaded and placed in the coral.
Guy 1 says, 'hmm, which is yours?' Ah, that one, pointing, says Guy 2. 'Wait, no, that one. Shucks, I don't know. How are we going to tell them apart?"
Guy 1 offers, 'I know you cut your horse's tail like you want. I'll cut mine like I want. We will be able to tell them apart'.
Guy 2 says, 'good idea.' And they begin cutting. Cut, cut, cut, snipe, snipe, snipe. All done, they step back and look. Both horses' tails look exactly alike.
Guy 1, says, 'wow, what do you know. That would not happen again in a million years. But what are we going to do now?'
And Guy 2, says, 'I know. You cut your horse's mane like you want. I'll cut mine like I want. We will be able to tell them apart'.
Guy 1 says, 'great idea'. And they begin cutting. Cut, cut, cut, snipe, snipe, snipe. All done, they step back and look. (Yep, you guessed it.) Both horses' tails look exactly alike.
Guy 2 says, 'wow, what do you know about that?' What are we going to do now?'
Guy 1 says, 'well, there's only one thing left that we can do. You take the white one, and I'll take the black one.'

Reactions: rpiotro
Hello kitty bumper stickers!

I'm a realtor and one time I was driving my wife's Lexus RX to preview a house. There was someone else at the house finishing up, so I let them finish and lock up. The lady (staring at her phone) walked right up to my car, opened the driver's door and nearly sat in my lap before she realized she wasn't getting into her own car. Hers was a GMC Acadia (aside from general shape and size, looks nothing like a Lexus RX). Some people are just too distracted.

She's of the ones that are culled from the heard when they are so distracted they step off the curb into the path of the turning bus.

Thats because a new poster (@Tes_Bob ) necro rezzed this 2 year old thread with a one line post.