Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Recall [MS & MX MCU 1 failures]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you ask they will happily upgrade it to MCU2..........and than send you a £2350 invoice :).

Now down to £1400 just like that. As I suspected, the cost of this upgrade is likely to reduce over time and warranty issues on MCU1 are bound to affect that. Tesla would prefer owners to upgrade rather than have to replace memory chips under warranty at their own expense.

I thought the recall might have just been restricted to US cars but I have just had an email tonight from Tesla advising that they will offer me a free eMMC card swap from 8GB to 64GB and will contact me when to schedule in due course. So it appears to applies to UK cars too. Now what would be interesting would be a deal to purchase the full MCU2 but at a lower rate than the recently reduced £1400. The question is would Tesla come and go with you on the price so they got paid for what would otherwise be free labour?

Just got this Email today from Tesla regarding my Oct 2016 Model S

Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 10.35.15.png

Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 10.35.03.png

I have occasional issues and corruption on my main screen, but noting terrible at the moment that isn't fixed by a reboot. And frankly I wouldn't want the MCUv2 hardware as I wouldn't want to loose DAB radio - which is what I mostly listen to while driving.
As such I'll definitely go for the 64GB swap. If the 8GB lasted these last 4 years then one thats 8 times bigger really ought to see me through....

Just got this Email today from Tesla regarding my Oct 2016 Model S

View attachment 633815
View attachment 633816

I have occasional issues and corruption on my main screen, but noting terrible at the moment that isn't fixed by a reboot. And frankly I wouldn't want the MCUv2 hardware as I wouldn't want to loose DAB radio - which is what I mostly listen to while driving.
As such I'll definitely go for the 64GB swap. If the 8GB lasted these last 4 years then one thats 8 times bigger really ought to see me through....

I got the email too yesterday. I don’t think the occasional glitches are related to this problem. For me they just come and go with software releases. I’ve never had the specific symptoms mentioned in the email, but the car is only 3 years old. Be good to get the new memory card though. I wonder when they will start calling them in. I guess they will start with the oldest cars first.

I thought the recall might have just been restricted to US cars but I have just had an email tonight from Tesla advising that they will offer me a free eMMC card swap from 8GB to 64GB and will contact me when to schedule in due course. So it appears to applies to UK cars too. Now what would be interesting would be a deal to purchase the full MCU2 but at a lower rate than the recently reduced £1400. The question is would Tesla come and go with you on the price so they got paid for what would otherwise be free labour?

I expect your local SC won’t negotiate a “deal” as there is no incentive for them. They are just employees, not business owners. But Tesla might well continue to reduce the upgrade cost if take-up at £1400 is still low.

Can someone please clarify? I understand this recall and the new chip being offered.

I heard about people having various upgrades to older cars and accepting losing the radio, or was it solely the DAB [both of which work but could be so much better presented on the front end, the screen.] Is this the case now, will the new 64Gb chip lead to loss of radio functionality?

However, in my 2016 car the browser doesn't load, the voice control function barely works. So maybe these will have a jump in performance.

Tony

Can someone please clarify? I understand this recall and the new chip being offered.

I heard about people having various upgrades to older cars and accepting losing the radio, or was it solely the DAB [both of which work but could be so much better presented on the front end, the screen.] Is this the case now, will the new 64Gb chip lead to loss of radio functionality?

However, in my 2016 car the browser doesn't load, the voice control function barely works. So maybe these will have a jump in performance.

Tony

Replacing the memory chip will not affect radio functionality. Not sure about the browser though. Mine doesn’t work either on a 2018 MX with MCU1. I guess it will depend whether or not the problems with the browser and voice control are memory related or simply lack of processing power. Luckily I don’t use either of these.

Replacing the memory chip will not affect radio functionality. Not sure about the browser though. Mine doesn’t work either on a 2018 MX with MCU1. I guess it will depend whether or not the problems with the browser and voice control are memory related or simply lack of processing power. Luckily I don’t use either of these.
Right. I think in order to get the browser to work we have to upgrade to the MCU2, at a cost, in which case we lose FM and Sirius radios I believe.

Last edited:

Tony
Upgrades to mcu2 lose compatibility w/mcu1’s am/fm/xm, but can be added back for $500.

Reactions: Cape Coddess
Still seeking clarity.

So if I upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 we lose the radio functionality.

But if recall process replaces the 8Mb card with a 64Gb one, the processor is the same, will
  1. speed/function of the screen improve?
  2. will radio FM/DAB continue to work?
I would be very unhappy to lose the radio, and I do not wish to pay $500 to retain the radio function!

Thinking laterally,
  • could carry a DAB radio around in car, or
  • play radio from phone into car - this would the depend on mobile internet
Am I over-thinking this?
First world problems

Tony

Still seeking clarity.

But if recall process replaces the 8Mb card with a 64Gb one, the processor is the same, will
I would be very unhappy to lose the radio, and I do not wish to pay $500 to retain the radio function!

Thinking laterally,

1. No. (Other than to the extent it isn't already corrupted by a failed eMMC) It will work as well as it did before the chip failed, meaning the browser will still be more or less useless and the maps will load as 'quickly' as they ever did.

2. Yes.

On your lateral points, connection to your phone is possible but will depend upon how reliable your phone signal is.

Add into the mix the question of the reversing camera defaulting to daytime use only.

Still seeking clarity.

Thinking laterally,
Am I over-thinking this?
First world problems

Tony

You won’t lose radio unless you upgrade to MCU2.

Are the radio stations you listen to not available in Tune-in anyway?

Please be aware that when your 8G eMMC is replaced by a 64G one in the recall, your information on the old eMMC is not copied to the new one—you lose driver profiles, visited addresses, media info, etc., etc. Tesla Scottsdale Service told me the information is not copied because some of it will be corrupt due to the iverwrute problem.

Please be aware that when your 8G eMMC is replaced by a 64G one in the recall, your information on the old eMMC is not copied to the new one—you lose driver profiles, visited addresses, media info, etc., etc. Tesla Scottsdale Service told me the information is not copied because some of it will be corrupt due to the iverwrute problem.
Damn

Per Infotainment Upgrade prices in GBP:
  • £1,400 for upgrade and install of MCU2
  • £470 for radio tuner (still 'later this year') necessary for UK DAB/FM reception afterwards.
  • Total £1,870 if doing both at same time (as recommended by Tesla)
Infotainment upgrade snuck up to £1700 at some point...

This upgrade is available for £1,700, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for £1,400, including installation, for all other vehicles. Owners may confirm Autopilot Computer type by selecting