Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 130,000 US vehicles (including RYZEN MODEL Y variants) for malfunctioning center displays during fast-charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is being discussed here yet but Tesla is recalling 130,000 US vehicles for issues with the infotainment system during fast charging. They're saying this affects the 2022 Model Y variants which I'm assuming is referring to the Ryzen models.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
Not sure if this is being discussed here yet but Tesla is recalling 130,000 US vehicles for issues with the infotainment system during fast charging. They're saying this affects the 2022 Model Y variants which I'm assuming is referring to the Ryzen models.

In case anyone is curious.

To fix the issue, Tesla is deploying an over-the-air firmware update to improve the management of the processor's temperature and "associated communications with elevated temperature operation."

Yep. Still would want to know what software versions are affected and what version fixes the issue. I don't like an idea of overheating the processor.
It's also unclear if it affects Intel, Ryzen or both. Both processors were used in 2021 and 2022.
It affects all models from 2021 to 2022.

The recalls covers certain Model S sedan and Model X SUVs from 2021 and 2022, as well as Model 3 cars and Model Y SUVs from 2022.

I presume this comes from the octovalve system trying to reuse heat from the battery and the likes, and the fact that the CPU is cooled through the same system. I'm not sure how efficient a software update will be, they might have to sacrifice some heating performance to keep the CPU under the limits. I guess the superbottle system in the 2020 and less doesn't reuse the heating system for cooling since it has a separate AC. It's less efficient in many areas but might be at an advantage in this particular case.

Picture bellow was posted in another thread. It looks like 2022.12.3.3 suppose to address this issue.

1652208410971.png

Just got this update and was wondering what it was. Thanks OP.
My other question was why there seem to be so many different versions of 2022.12.3.x
IE i had 2022.12.3.2, now i have 2022.12.3.3. There are other cars that have 2022.12.3.5.
Odd versioning structure. Kind of a rhetorical question as I'm sure its not that important to know.

Speaking of overheating, does Scan my Tesla see MCU / CPU core temps in its various data streams? Would be interesting to know as we do this sort of thing on PC.

I have heard that when you get a new Tesla, it takes quite a while before you start receiving software updates (i.e., you're "stuck" on an old version for a month or so). Is that still true, and does it also apply to updates that are classified as recalls? Supposedly picking up my MY this weekend, and just curious.

I have heard that when you get a new Tesla, it takes quite a while before you start receiving software updates (i.e., you're "stuck" on an old version for a month or so). Is that still true, and does it also apply to updates that are classified as recalls? Supposedly picking up my MY this weekend, and just curious.

In my case(end of 2022 Jan delivery), yes, it took a while for the1st OTA update.

Generally, 4 - 6 weeks before first update. There have only been OTA 'recalls' relatively recently (at least, numbers of them) so it's unclear as to when you might get that.

Yes. But you can check whether it has version 2022.11.101.1

I'm also curious about the details. Since this also occurs during preconditioning, it implies an issue during battery heating. In that case the motors are generating excess heat and the coolant is hot. If that coolant is used for CPU cooling then it makes sense that CPU cooling would suffer.

I'm looking forward to reading about the software fix. My first guess is that the pump supplying the CPU is shut down. The CPU would not have a coolant pathway to dispose of heat but at least it would not face hot coolant. The days of playing CPU intensive video games during Supercharging may be on hold for a while.

Last edited:
Yep, that's the sort of thing I implied in my comment. By pushing the optimization with the heat pump and octovalve, Tesla might have hurt itself with the infotainment system. A software fix might not be able to solve what could be a "bad" hardware design in regards to the CPU. I'm not saying the design is bad at this point, I'm just curious and wondering what the fix will be.

Reactions: Matias