Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Recalls 285K Cars in China for Autopilot Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla has recalled more than 285,000 vehicles in China for concerns over the Autopilot self-driving feature.

Announced Saturday by the State Administration for Market Regulation, the recall affects 211,256 Model 3 vehicles built at the company’s Shanghai factory and 35,665 imported Model 3 vehicles. The recall affected 38,599 China-made Model Ys.

Chinese regulators claim that Autopilot can be activated automatically, which can lead to sudden acceleration that could cause a crash.

“We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to our car owners,” Tesla said in a statement on its Weibo account. “In the meantime, Tesla will strictly follow national regulations and keep improving our safety protection, adamantly providing an excellent and safe driving experience to our customers.”

A fix for the problem can be delivered via a software update.

Last edited by a moderator:
As to WHAT this is, try China muscle. Elon was naive to set up shop in China, IMHO. The CCP can do anything, at any time, to whomever, for whatever reason. Like squeezing Hong Kong and "re-educating" the Uighurs. He probably figured they operated business-logically.

What they have been doing of late is what many other entities are doing, for their own disingenuous reasons: slap that upstart TSLA down. And Beijing has their own subsidized EV makers to promote. They'll be doing it freely, now that Elon has his cojones deep in that Chinese finger trap. He can't continue to be "arrogant". He's got to play along. Humor a woman with a "Tesla brakes no good" shirt at a major trade show? Call a minor OTA Update a "safety-critical recall of every Tesla ever sold in China"? Yes, Chairman Xi, we respect the wisdom and guidance of the Party.

I bought a few shares of NIO a while back. Then I had a little epiphany about who/what I was subsidizing, and promptly dumped them. Without even caring about any profit or loss. And I don't bad-mouth productive American companies. I sleep much better that way.

Reactions: Cuttin
As to WHAT this is, try China muscle. Elon was naive to set up shop in China, IMHO. The CCP can do anything, at any time, to whomever, for whatever reason. Like squeezing Hong Kong and "re-educating" the Uighurs. He probably figured they operated business-logically.

What they have been doing of late is what many other entities are doing, for their own disingenuous reasons: slap that upstart TSLA down. And Beijing has their own subsidized EV makers to promote. They'll be doing it freely, now that Elon has his cojones deep in that Chinese finger trap. He can't continue to be "arrogant". He's got to play along. Humor a woman with a "Tesla brakes no good" shirt at a major trade show? Call a minor OTA Update a "safety-critical recall of every Tesla ever sold in China"? Yes, Chairman Xi, we respect the wisdom and guidance of the Party.

I bought a few shares of NIO a while back. Then I had a little epiphany about who/what I was subsidizing, and promptly dumped them. Without even caring about any profit or loss. And I don't bad-mouth productive American companies. I sleep much better that way.
While I don't disagree with many of the opinions, I'd prefer we keep the forums free from political opinions.

I agree. It's difficult to compete with a corrupt country. Especially one that is so biased towards its own state branded, hiddenly, ev companies.

He had no choice. It's the largest car market and largest ev market. He gave it a fair shot. Money is money.

I also LOVED the MAJOR recall requiring a few mins of a strong wifi signal to download an over the air update. Lol. What a joke.

Brooklyn! I lived there. Tesla is definitely an issue there. Also the self presenting door on my MX is an issue. I turn off when I have to go in.

See this pic of a good park job in Brooklyn.
View attachment 679404

But I agree. Too many sounds. But they can make it more distinctive maybe.

Good point on the one pedal part. I didn't think of it but so true. Prob contributed to all those "phantom acceleration" episodes a while back.

They should really come up with a double activated way to turn it on.
I have always been a fan of the verbal announcements like on the Chrysler K-Cars and in aircraft. Tesla can spend all their spare time making useless games, screwing up the UI. letting you make fart noises with the car... I have an Idea! Why not spend a little worthwhile time progrmming voice prompts? It was found years ago that calm female voices will get a pilot's attention. "FLAPS" "AIORSPEED", and my personal favorite: "PULL UP...PULL UP".
Why not "OVERSPEED", "LANE CHANGE", "AUTOPILOT" or "CRUISE CONTROL", "TAKE CONTROL NOW!", ""TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR BETA SOFTWARE ENGAGED", and the rest?

Reactions: markwj and Cuttin
I have always been a fan of the verbal announcements like on the Chrysler K-Cars and in aircraft. Tesla can spend all their spare time making useless games, screwing up the UI. letting you make fart noises with the car... I have an Idea! Why not spend a little worthwhile time progrmming voice prompts? It was found years ago that calm female voices will get a pilot's attention. "FLAPS" "AIORSPEED", and my personal favorite: "PULL UP...PULL UP".
Why not "OVERSPEED", "LANE CHANGE", "AUTOPILOT" or "CRUISE CONTROL", "TAKE CONTROL NOW!", ""TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR BETA SOFTWARE ENGAGED", and the rest?
Add those voices to model S to match the yoke!

Reactions: Cuttin