Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 362,758 vehicles says full self-driving beta software may cause crashes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
per cnbc breaking news
Tesla recalls 362,758 vehicles, says full self-driving beta software may cause crashes (cnbc.com)

Tesla said Thursday it’s recalling “certain 2016-2023 Model S, Model X, 2017-2023 Model 3, and 2020-2023 Model Y vehicles equipped with Full Self-Driving Beta (FSD Beta) software or pending installation.” The recall includes 362,758 vehicles.

Tesla will release an over-the-air (OTA) software update, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed by

April 15, 2023. Owners may contact Tesla customer service at 1-877-798-3752. Tesla's number for this recall is SB-23-00-001.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: X-pilot and savi
I've always said that FSD is not worth the added cost or the anxiety it induces while you let it drive. It's easier and less nerve-racking to drive yourself than to babysit a computer to make maneuvers that we humans could perform easily.

With that said, it's a "software" update and not a recall in the traditional sense. The media makes it seem like hundreds of thousands of Teslas need to be taken to the dealer for repairs when it's just a simple OTA update.

I've always said that FSD is not worth the added cost or the anxiety it induces while you let it drive. It's easier and less nerve-racking to drive yourself than to babysit a computer to make maneuvers that we humans could perform easily.

With that said, it's a "software" update and not a recall in the traditional sense. The media makes it seem like hundreds of thousands of Teslas need to be taken to the dealer for repairs when it's just a simple OTA update.
yep media will media, i agree with FSD totally not worth but to each their own

Reactions: jebinc
Are the vehicles under recall the ones that have the fully upgraded FSD on their vehicles or does it impact all vehicles since FSD Beta is available on all Tesla models.

Also my 2023 MYLR delivery is scheduled for end of Feb 2023, will my vehicle automatically come fixed with this recall issue since the recall was issued today or do I need to schedule an appointment after delivery to have this recall issue fixed. Can someone familiar with this please clarify. Thanks for all the help.

great minds as to the post -

@Macb00kemdanno - I'm not as enthralled with the basic AP as some - we have areas near with a mile between lights - you put it in TACC at 55mph [the speed limit] and it'll run right up the rear of a stopped vehicle at a traffic light at 55 without even slowing down until its less than 100' from the vehicle - not enough time to stop. . .

Are the vehicles under recall the ones that have the fully upgraded FSD on their vehicles or does it impact all vehicles since FSD Beta is available on all Tesla models.

Also my 2023 MYLR delivery is scheduled for end of Feb 2023, will my vehicle automatically come fixed with this recall issue since the recall was issued today or do I need to schedule an appointment after delivery to have this recall issue fixed. Can someone familiar with this please clarify. Thanks for all the help.
I believe it is only people that are in the FSD Beta program. This is software only so no service center visit required.

The bigger question is when this "patch" will be available and whether Tesla will disable FSD until it is released. I am dubious that this "patch" even exists - to fix the issues that are listed means literally fixing all of FSD.

Reactions: detroit2sd
I believe it is only people that are in the FSD Beta program. This is software only so no service center visit required.

The bigger question is when this "patch" will be available and whether Tesla will disable FSD until it is released. I am dubious that this "patch" even exists - to fix the issues that are listed means literally fixing all of FSD.
Thanks for the clarification.

You are assuming this is talking about preventing all possible crashes (basically impossible) as opposed to removing or modifying some narrow feature (for example the disabling of rolling stops previously which they also recalled all FSD Beta cars for).

BTW I hate how the media do not link the actual document (which they clearly have) so we can see what the actual details are.

Reactions: detroit2sd
Docs here at the bottom of the article

Thanks, basically exactly as I say, it's removing some specific narrow features. Most relevant portion:
"In certain rare circumstances and within the operating limitations of FSD Beta, when the feature is engaged, the feature could potentially infringe upon local traffic laws or customs while executing certain driving maneuvers in the following conditions before some drivers may intervene: 1) traveling or turning through certain intersections during a stale yellow traffic light; 2) the perceived duration of the vehicle’s static position at certain intersections with a stop sign, particularly when the intersection is clear of any other road users; 3) adjusting vehicle speed while traveling through certain variable speed zones, based on detected speed limit signage and/or the vehicle's speed offset setting that is adjusted by the driver; and 4) negotiating a lane change out of certain turn-only lanes to continue traveling straight."

The speed limit thing has me most worried (as it may apply to AP also). I have always worried NHTSA may eventually force automakers to only allow features to run at speed limit. This not only doesn't match how humans drive, it may also be unsafe as you may not longer be keeping up with traffic and it may increase phantom braking (a lot of it is related to speed limit detection; if the car left the task of the speed setting to the driver, a lot of it can be avoided).

Reactions: blissdancer

Yes version v11

The speed limit thing has me most worried (as it may apply to AP also). I have always worried NHTSA may eventually force automakers to only allow features to run at speed limit. This not only doesn't match how humans drive, it may also be unsafe as you may not longer be keeping up with traffic.
This was my worry as well, when I saw the article. In many areas, you will get run down if you drive the speed limit, even in the right lane. I got a traffic ticket one time for driving too slow, because I was driving at the speed limit when the flow of traffic was greater than the posted speed limit.

I wonder what media you are referring to. All the media I've seen so far has made it clear that it is an OTA, but yea, media loves to sensationalize and exaggerate most everything. by the way, FSD is a lot less stressful to me on those long drives, but that's just me I guess.

I wonder what media you are referring to. All the media I've seen so far has made it clear that it is an OTA, but yea, media loves to sensationalize and exaggerate most everything.
I made that comment when the news had just broke, and all the headlines just said recall with no mention of OTA updates. It wasn't until later that the articles started backfilling the info to add in the bit about it being OTA.