Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls entire Model S fleet for seat belts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tesla finds one seatbelt problem out of over 3000 vehicles they inspected, no other known cases, and no injuries reported, and they issue a recall.

Other automakers have thousands of known cases, multiple deaths, know for years, and don't bother to do anything about common issues...

Appears I picked the right (if overly cautious) automaker!

Yes, despite my griping upthread, I'd much rather Tesla take the overly-cautious approach than the traditional-automaker approach. Not to mention that a visit to Tesla's service center is far more pleasant than visiting a traditional car dealership.

Yes, despite my griping upthread, I'd much rather Tesla take the overly-cautious approach than the traditional-automaker approach. Not to mention that a visit to Tesla's service center is far more pleasant than visiting a traditional car dealership.

I concur. As usual, the new media will blow it way out of proportion. We will continue smiling in out safe cars!

Contrast Tesla's proactive actions with a NADA tweet today, pointing to a NADA-commissioned study that looks at the costs associated when a dealershi* can't sell cars until open recall issues are fixed. (tl;dr "We put profit over safety.") NADA Commissions Report by J.D. Power to Assess Reductions in Trade-In Values Caused by Preventing Sale of Used Vehicles with Open Recalls

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 1.32.39 PM.png

Has anyone managed to book online with the link in the email? It just takes me to the "My Tesla" page with nothing about service. Calling Tesla service on the phone says to go to teslamotors.com/seatbelt which does the same thing.

I was able to do this -- the second or third time I tried, it brought up a reservation section as the first thing on my MyTesla page.

Tomorrow @ 9am at Houston Westchase :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Contrast Tesla's proactive actions with a NADA tweet today, pointing to a NADA-commissioned study that looks at the costs associated when a dealershi* can't sell cars until open recall issues are fixed. (tl;dr "We put profit over safety.") NADA Commissions Report by J.D. Power to Assess Reductions in Trade-In Values Caused by Preventing Sale of Used Vehicles with Open Recalls

View attachment 101523

Evidently, the GM ignition and VW (et al.) diesel recalls were over-broad... :tongue:

Last edited:
Just back from the San Diego SC. The links were all stalling on me, like for many others -- appears Tesla has issues like many companies with overloaded servers -- so when I called my SC, no appointment was necessary. I decided to head out before an onslaught of other owners drop down on those poor people. 10 minutes in-and-out once I arrived. Tesla was very well prepared; Clipboards, forms, paperwork were lined-up and waiting. They appeared to have 2 supplemental people stationed in the waiting area, who after a quick greeting at the Receptionist, took my key, went out, and took care of the physical inspection, then gave the paperwork back to the Tesla Rep who input it into my service history. I signed and was on my way. No fuss. No muss.

While nothing was found to be an issue on my 90D, I too am in the camp I GREATLY appreciate Tesla being proactive, especially on anything related to safety -- and kudos to Tesla for doing a "voluntary recall" despite the negative (and sensationalized) press I've already seen -- where the press and social media of course goes for the headline, without citing the next couple of details placing scope around this whole thing, that Tesla was very straight forward with in their email and on my My Tesla page. Well done, Tesla. Thank you.

I'm hearing from multiple news soirces that Tesla is supposedly recalling ALL cars due to seatbelt falling apart on one car. Any news or contact from Tesla to anyone? We have four cars and not a peep yet.

Tesla To Voluntarily Recall Every Model S Because One Seat Belt Came Apart

This is correct. It's a recall, but it's really just an inspection.

You can set up an appointment online, but it's really just a five minute inspection. I was driving by the Tesla maintenance shop and just popped in. They took care of it without an appointment.

To whomever said this shouldn't effects new builds... I also got said email saying my specific VIN was part of the voluntary recall, and my 85D was literally assembled last month. In either case, I see this is a reason to go get a free wash at the service center.

Got an email this morning around 10ish about this safety check and recall. Called Tesla and Fremont service center asked me to stop by anytime. A quick check in Fremont service center from 6 technicians and i was out in 10 min.
They said no single car is found in NA with this issue, it is just that one car in Europe.