Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls entire Model S fleet for seat belts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The folks who live 100+ miles from their SC probably agree in spades...
I think a lot of those people will simply ignore this issue. In fact, I wish Tesla had just sent an email saying "go check your car RIGHT HERE and look for THIS PROBLEM." But that wouldn't satisfy the lawyers, most likely.

----

I didn't read the entire thread, but I think it can be summarized like this: "Some Model S owner shorted the stock, loosened a bolt and is now vacationing in Tahiti for a month."

I live about 400-450 miles from a service center. I sent my nearest service center an email a few days ago, and a ranger replied that he'd be in town today. I met him at a Costco, and he performed the check in 5-10 minutes.

Too lazy to read through all the posts so forgive me if this has already been covered.

I too dropped by my local Service Center to have my car checked. The inspection consists of pealing back the rubber cover on the outboard belt anchor. You run the front seat all the way forward then hop in the back seat to look at the outboard front belt mount where it bolts to the floor. The check consists of checking that there is no play between the stranded steel cable where it is crimped to the belt bracket. Apparently there were some bad crimps one of which allowed the belt bracket to separate from the cable it was crimped to.

The tech did my driver's side and I did the passenger side with the tech following behind me as a double check. I did my wife's car when I got home.

It is so odd that in the aircraft world we constantly report issues to the FAA and service advisories or airworthiness directives are issued depending upon the severity of the problem. Inspections are done to confirm there is or is not an issue with each airframe and off we go. It is a simple safe system that most owners appreciate. In the automotive world its a big deal when an issue is found and the manufacturer voluntarily inspects the fleet. Go figure.

Here in the Seattle area Tesla service employees visited people at home to check their cars over the weekend. We invited our guy in to watch the last couple minutes of the Seahawks game and sent him home with a home made bottle of wine....

I wonder if these were really the Tesla service people or the third-party people hired by Tesla especially for this. I've read here that Tesla employees can't accept gifts like bottles of wine, which is what makes me think these people may have been the third-party company workers.

Got mine checked (both driver and passenger sidides) by a Tesla service guy this morning in my garage while he replaced the cord on my HPWC. Amazing customer service!

He explained to me they have yet to find ANY other recurrences in all the inspections since that first one, and he made a good case that was likely caused during rework by someone that was new because it isn't easy to misassemble when you know how the pieces properly fit together. In any event, bravo to Tesla for how they are handling this.

Good to see most people got in and out quickly. Mine took roughly 30 minutes at the Costa Mesa Service Center here in SoCal.

Pulled in and I gave them my keys and watched as they had a crew of 2 people do their thing with yanking the seatbelts...then, nothing else for another 20-25 minutes after which they had another crew of 4 people come out to do the exact same thing. Paperwork came back as something along the lines of "no additional work required". Interesting. Maybe they were just disorganized and thought no one had done it yet..