Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls entire Model S fleet for seat belts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just another data point on the actual topic of the thread...

My 2014 P85D (VIN 69xxx) was in service today (for other stuff) and they took care of the recall while they had it. I don't have the paperwork handy at the moment but the short version was "no issues, no parts changed after evaluation" IIRC.

My email showed up in the spam box as well. Not to minimize its importance but a real concern is how all this activity for checking the seat belts (even if it's only 25 min per car)will push back elective appointments for things like LTE and Ludicrous upgrades both of which I would like to do. 90K cars will tie up the service centers for some time.

My email showed up in the spam box as well. Not to minimize its importance but a real concern is how all this activity for checking the seat belts (even if it's only 25 min per car)will push back elective appointments for things like LTE and Ludicrous upgrades both of which I would like to do. 90K cars will tie up the service centers for some time.

The check takes two minutes and can be done by a service advisor. It doesn't seen that significant for Tesla - more so for the owner.

3 minutes to fixed!

Just got back from my appointment - the Austin SC had 3rd party safety inspectors there doing the inspections. Took less than 3 minutes for me to get my signed off paper saying I'm safe. The guy who arrived at the same time as me didn't even have enough time for the Keurig to finish brewing before his car was done. :biggrin:

I know this is a fast running thread, but take a look back at my post #71. At least here in San Diego, your concerns would be unwarranted, as Tesla has supplemental staff handling this on only a walk-in basis, so i see no reason there would be delays for "normal" service. Additionally, Tesla has gone to the effort of placing this info on each owners My Tesla page, so I commend them on using multiple methods of communication.

It seems like Tesla is handling this as well as they possibly could be.

They have communicated the issue well, and they are spending money to make the process as painless as possible for customers. It would seem, at least from this incident, that Tesla is learning from past mistakes. We should give them credit for that.

They have communicated the issue well, and they are spending money to make the process as painless as possible for customers. It would seem, at least from this incident, that Tesla is learning from past mistakes. We should give them credit for that.

Agreed, which is definitely a great sign. Although I still haven't received an email. I wonder if anyone else hasn't received it yet as well. (I have checked spam)

Agreed, which is definitely a great sign. Although I still haven't received an email. I wonder if anyone else hasn't received it yet as well. (I have checked spam)

What kind of ISP do you have set for the address where you receive Tesla email? Some will basically just block (without ever delivering) something they view as spam. I'm not suggesting that is likely, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Since I'm over 1,000 miles from the nearest service center and I don't know when my belts will be inspected, I went ahead and checked them myself. I published a video with that plus talking about the recall (so skip the first half if you already got the email).

How To Check Tesla Model S Seat Belt Bolt Recall November 2015 - YouTube

The problem is apparently not with the bolt per se, but the way the belt is connected to the pretensioner which is connected to the bolt.

Not knowing what a pretensioner was, I found out that it is a device that preemptively tightens the seat belt to prevent the occupant from jerking forward in a crash.

Last edited by a moderator:

To be fair, where safety is concerned Tesla has never ever been found wanting.

To be fair, where safety is concerned Tesla has never ever been found wanting.

Well, that's not 100% correct.

There was the issue with a version of the firmware for the Ds a while back that could cause them to spontaneously lose power. Tesla was less than proactive in communicating information about this issue. The work around was simply to drive with range mode off, but unless you were reading threads here, you wouldn't know that. Tesla got a firmware update out fairly quickly, but people could have been hurt. Luckily, as far as we know, no one was.

Clearly the communication this time is much better.