Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Recalls Over 475,000 U.S. Cars on Camera, Trunk Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now less than 2 weeks after sending my car to Tesla, news comes out about the recall on 2017-2020 Model 3's but mine is a 2021 3rd quarter model from Xhanghai. What this tells me is that it can happen to any Model 3 but in order to avoid raising too many alarms, they simply called back the 1st version of the Model 3 and not the refresh black trim 2nd version.
There is no recall for the frunk on the Model 3. (That is for the Model S.)

The Model 3 recall you are referring to is for the rear camera failing because of a failing wiring harness.

Got the recall email today, and set up an appointment on the app - they assigned a mobile service appt for mid Jan.

Not having seen this thread beforehand, the email was confusing. It is literally titled "Model S Trunk Secondary Latch & Striker Recall" , and then goes on to say
On these vehicles, the latch assembly may be positioned too far back, preventing the secondary latch from properly engaging the trunk striker. If the trunk is inadvertently released while driving and the secondary latch is not engaged, the frunk may open without warning and obstruct the driver's visibility.
It wasn't until I noticed the 'frunk' that I realized they weren't talking about the trunk flapping about in the back.

Reactions: QUBO
If your frunk pops on the freeway, you don't have several minutes to see how things turn out. Don't see what purpose this feature serves. I guess if you inadvertently pop and then drive, but that isn't my main concern, which is the lack of a secondary catch, at least on my vehicle.
Okay, very relieved to see that yes, there is a secondary latch. Popped, waited and...I've stuck my finger into tighter things but none so uncomfortable. Anyway, unlatched the seclatch. So now, the question is, have I just proved that I have an effective seclatch with no need to go through the hassle of the recall? I don't expect a straight answer from Tesla, which will always err on the (liability!) side of checking it out, since the inconvenience to them is minor. What say y'all?

OR..; they could just send me a latch and some instructions. No driving around, no waiting. Can't be all that hard.
But they aren't replacing the latch. It says they will check it, and adjust it if necessary. No new parts...

Tesla Service will inspect the secondary frunk latch on affected vehicles. If the frunk is not properly retained by the secondary latch, the latch mechanism will be reassembled and repositioned to assure proper alignment.

Reactions: Jimmer
I am in the camera upgrade rat hole, 2 times still got the wrong part and cannot schedule through the app, so text them in the app, and whoever reply just rudely say it just a recall, the email is sent to ALL tesla owners and not just XXX (my name), they just release it today. Whoever reply simply didn’t want to help.