Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls the boom box feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My cars don’t have this feature, but I thought this feature was a bit over the top anyway.

Apparently this violates the pedestrian warning safety system’s requirement that it be on when driving, and playing the warning sound.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The verbiage used is frustratingly antiquated. Running software updates regardless of the reason, should not be called a "recall". A recall implies that they are bringing vehicles back for service.

It's important to use the terminology "recall" even when it does not require the car to be serviced at the Service Center and an over-the-air would be sufficient.

If it is not a recall, then Tesla has no obligation to notify owners.

If it is a recall, then Tesla, by law, is required to notify owners.

Tesla's communication is not a strong point. It even dismantled its Public Relations so by making it a recall, the law forces Tesla to be a better communicator.

I don't understand what the issue was, It still makes a sound when required to. Does the NHTSA say what the sound need to be?

Police can use a megaphone in their cars. Buying a megaphone for your car is not illegal but using it by regular folks might be illegal in many states, including California.

I guess the pedestrian warning system is dedicated for that purpose only. Diverting that particular system to personalized use might hinder that goal. The megaphone might be purposefully silent for a while (the driver singer is pausing between songs and trying to recuperate after singing 12 songs in a row) which also mutes the pedestrian warning system because it is shared. That's a safety hazard.

The megaphone might trigger adverse reactions from others such as road rage which is also a safety hazard.

It's fine to be funny, but we need to look at other sides that might not be too funny.

I don't understand what the issue was, It still makes a sound when required to. Does the NHTSA say what the sound need to be?

I suppose you could be playing fart sounds as opposed to the noise it’s usually associated with. That’s not safe.

Now, this system can only make customized sounds when parked. Not when driving. ( forward or reverse )

The standard warning noise will be there as per normal.

There isn't really an issue. Biden appointed Missy Cummings as head of NHTSA -- she's been very vocal over the years against Musk and Tesla. All of these petty "recalls" are payback.
I don’t think so. Read the article on why it’s a safety issue. Don’t be a blind apologist to everything Tesla does.

Not everything is politically driven.

The verbiage used is frustratingly antiquated. Running software updates regardless of the reason, should not be called a "recall". A recall implies that they are bringing vehicles back for service.
No it doesn’t imply that. It’s your interpretation.

A recall can be addressed via software and still be a recall.

Hah! I was surprised when Tesla released that, I was sure it was against some law. Seems I was right. You can use a recording that is blank, no noise at all, and use that as your sound when driving. In that situation there would be absolutely no noise outside and pedestrians wouldn't hear you. Using the external speaker when you're parked to play music is fine but you shouldn't be allowed to choose the sound bit that is used when driving. Note that we were not allowed to choose the reverse sound...

The law required agency rules to stop manufactures from allowing anyone other than an automaker or dealer to “disable, alter, replace, or modify the pedestrian alert sound or set of sounds.”
Tesla would have known the law when they released the feature, and they would have known this was a violation. They basically dared NHTSA to call them on it, and they did.

One could argue over whether the law is sensible, but it sure looks to me like Tesla knowingly violated the law.

You can use a recording that is blank, no noise at all, and use that as your sound when driving. In that situation there would be absolutely no noise outside and pedestrians wouldn't hear you.
Totally agree. On the other hand... there was a bicycle race up Mt. Evans here in Colorado, and the medical car was a Tesla which was utilizing this feature to play sounds as it passed by the bike racers... I don't remember what the sound was exactly but I remember thinking that was pretty cool, it kinda made it obvious it was a medical car, and made it so that it wasn't sneaking up on you. Bummer they won't be able to do that anymore.

Tesla would have known the law when they released the feature, and they would have known this was a violation. They basically dared NHTSA to call them on it, and they did.

One could argue over whether the law is sensible, but it sure looks to me like Tesla knowingly violated the law.
Note according to the reports Tesla argued their implementation met the law. NHTSA probably decided it didn't in the end.

I think it's hilarious that they are worried the sounds someone might make will be so loud they'll make it hard to hear the pedestrian warning. Hey folks, if it's that loud people are going to know you're coming!
I don’t think you have understood the issue at all. BTW, you can go disagreeing with my posts, knew-jerk fashion. It only lowers your credibility.