Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls the boom box feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose you could be playing fart sounds as opposed to the noise it’s usually associated with. That’s not safe.

Now, this system can only make customized sounds when parked. Not when driving. ( forward or reverse )

The standard warning noise will be there as per normal.
That explains it. I always thought it was unhealthy to fart in reverse!

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Tesla would have known the law when they released the feature, and they would have known this was a violation. They basically dared NHTSA to call them on it, and they did.

One could argue over whether the law is sensible, but it sure looks to me like Tesla knowingly violated the law.
"Violated the Law" C'mon Missy. The law is that "only the manufacturer can adjust it." And the manufacturer "adjusted it."

Missy.png

We all know that the new NHTSA administrator, jet-jockey Missy Cummings, at the NHTSA has a "case of the ass" for Musk, as expressed over the years. Professional parochialism and envy, I am sure.

Petty at best, jet-jockey ego and political points for sure. A genuine waste of our tax dollars.

Think about it. This issue could have been easily resolved with a phone call! And incorporated into the next update without all of the fluff.

And, yes, NHTSA needs to get with the times. This is a "Software Adjustment", not a "Recall". But of course, a "Recall" will appear much more unsightly in the press. Gotcha!

Tesla recalls over 500,000 U.S. vehicles to fix pedestrian warning sounds​

Folks, a year ago we didn't even have this requirement and now millions of people are going to be at grave risk, because they can't hear this soft, indistinguishable sound from the front of your car. Give me a break, man!

I think it's hilarious that they are worried the sounds someone might make will be so loud they'll make it hard to hear the pedestrian warning. Hey folks, if it's that loud people are going to know you're coming!
Well, there was another recall because the seatbelt warning chime wouldn’t always sound if the driver ‘started’ the car and their seatbelt wasn’t on. It was listed as a ’safety issue’ because a driver might forget to put their seatbelt on! Seriously? It sounded more like a feature to me! I always wear my seatbelt, but the warning chime has nothing to do with me remembering.

My 2020 MS makes a sound when driving. It is much more subtle than the UFO sound and disappears at high speed. I discovered it when I drove in a garage with windows down. It is almost like if the sound from tires is amplified. Almost natural.
Wow. I've owned my MS for 18 months now, and I never noticed that faint sound. Just like Boza said, I had to roll down the windows with the car in a quiet garage to hear it. THAT's what the NHTSA is worried that Boombox will cover up? It's barely noticeable.

Reactions: henderrj
Wow. I've owned my MS for 18 months now, and I never noticed that faint sound. Just like Boza said, I had to roll down the windows with the car in a quiet garage to hear it. THAT's what the NHTSA is worried that Boombox will cover up? It's barely noticeable.
I think the problem is more complex than that. I would not be surprised if the type of sound EV make is/will be regulated so that pedestrians associate it with a car, not a dude with a boom box :) Also, in general, manufacturers often bear liability for improper use of their product (e.g. some cute person decides to use silence to replace the default sound).
Let’s not forget that regulators, by definition, try to cover the largest possible set of use cases (e.g. there are blind people on the streets) and that sometimes creates the impression of “stupid” regulations.
All this comes with the territory. When one pushes boundaries it is inevitable that they will sometimes step over the boundaries. It is actually a good thing because they force NHTSA to think about the future and the new challenges EV present.
Tesla could have fought that in court but they decided that they either could not win or it was not worth it. My expectation is that the recall is tactical - dealing quickly with the issue - and they will come up with something that satisfies the concerns in the future.

BTW: weather is it simple OTA update or the car has to be brought in, the legal term is “recall”. That is why they use it. There are many such terms that may sound irrelevant but they have a specific legal meaning. For example, hacking someone’s computer is still called “trespassing” although we all know that it is far away from walking on someone’s lawn.

We never had this in Europe, we have always had the “Boombox only works while stationary” restriction. It does make sense really, having consistent spaceship like sounds that are supposed to denote moving vehicles to pedestrians be obliterated by Knight Rider or an ice cream van does defeat the purpose of an important safety feature.

Tesla seems to have an abundance of caution when it comes to dealing with European regulations (UNECE), to the point where FSD features like Summon are seriously crippled over here, but in the States they seem to be more casual about them, and are prepared to test the limits of the restrictions, etc.

I kinda wish I could opt out of the UNECE restrictions on my car and absolve Tesla of any consequence explicitly, so I could have the same FSD (and beta) that you guys get, but I know it’s not that simple.

We never had this in Europe, we have always had the “Boombox only works while stationary” restriction. It does make sense really, having consistent spaceship like sounds that are supposed to denote moving vehicles to pedestrians be obliterated by Knight Rider or an ice cream van does defeat the purpose of an important safety feature.

Tesla seems to have an abundance of caution when it comes to dealing with European regulations (UNECE), to the point where FSD features like Summon are seriously crippled over here, but in the States they seem to be more casual about them, and are prepared to test the limits of the restrictions, etc.

I kinda wish I could opt out of the UNECE restrictions on my car and absolve Tesla of any consequence explicitly, so I could have the same FSD (and beta) that you guys get, but I know it’s not that simple.

I must say, that I am encouraged by all the support I get here. There is a certain group of people seeemingky opposed to common sense here.

Reflections of society as it currently exists…

Reactions: kevinhanff
There isn't really an issue. Biden appointed Missy Cummings as head of NHTSA -- she's been very vocal over the years against Musk and Tesla. All of these petty "recalls" are payback.

i’m for dems but why be against progress? Seems like strange reasoning here
Two corrections to the post you referenced. Missy Cummings isn't the head of NHTSA, she's just an advisor and it's been reported that she's not to be involved with matters related to Tesla

I personally don't see adherence to driving laws and regulations as being an impediment against progress. In fact they are trying to protect Tesla. If crashes or injuries happen because of breaking existing regulations, Tesla could be liable to lawsuits. The NHTSA recommended recalls do reduce the risk of this happening.

Tesla is free to innovate, just keep it within the law. They know they aren't following the laws, it's right in their documents e.g. rolling stops, the NHTSA has no choice but to react.

Two corrections to the post you referenced. Missy Cummings isn't the head of NHTSA, she's just an advisor and it's been reported that she's not to be involved with matters related to Tesla

I personally don't see adherence to driving laws and regulations as being an impediment against progress. In fact they are trying to protect Tesla. If crashes or injuries happen because of breaking existing regulations, Tesla could be liable to lawsuits. The NHTSA recommended recalls do reduce the risk of this happening.

Tesla is free to innovate, just keep it within the law. They know they aren't following the laws, it's right in their documents e.g. rolling stops, the NHTSA has no choice but to react.

Spoilsport! 🙂

This rule is about protecting pedestrians and visually impaired persons from getting into an unfortunate and preventable accident. As many have pointed out, Tesla blithely pushed out a so-called feature that would have allowed people to record silence and broadcast that instead of the usual noise maker.

But of course, some types of people who don’t want to understand the logic or reason, lazily claim ‘this is all basically a NANNY state!’. 🙄🙄🙄

BTW, I also ride a bicycle. Sometimes when riding uphill, an older Tesla silently glides up to me, without me realizing until it is very close.
You’re right. It is primarily aimed at ADA (Americans w/ disabilities act) for the blind and disabled. They just don’t flat out say that because it’s discrimination even if it’s positive discrimination. But it’s the same as having those yellow bumps at crosswalks and having crosswalks beep or chirp.

Source: I work with ADA Law

Reactions: _Redshift_ and Boza
You’re right. It is primarily aimed at ADA (Americans w/ disabilities act) for the blind and disabled. They just don’t flat out say that because it’s discrimination even if it’s positive discrimination. But it’s the same as having those yellow bumps at crosswalks and having crosswalks beep or chirp.

Source: I work with ADA Law
I commend the ADA. The blind really respond to the orange and yellow.
Just trying to make the point that Elon Musk has made for quite some time. We have far too many rules and regulations. Can anyone out there tell me where the dumpster is for old rules and regulations?
The insecure just keep producing rule after rule and regulation after regulation, until we're regulated to death.

Excessive rules and regulations are for those people who lack common sense. Don't forget coffee must be labeled "HOT!" and if you are in the habit of crawling around under sinks, you could hit your head on the pipes.

If NHSTA is going to make a requirement for vehicles to emit a sound to warn pedestrians, then at least make it audible and perceptible, otherwise you're just adding to the countless library of worthless regulations.

My state instituted a requirement for all buildings to display a Red clover leaf signe with an F inside of it to demarcate for fireman, any building that has wood in it. Now what building doesn't have wood in it? What are you nuts?

Of course everyone had to scramble to the store to buy the signs, which were no longer available due to demand, or be non-compliance.
I am waiting for the one that says "P" for plastic.

Adds costs to indiduals and products and creates big salaries for regulators.

How did we ever survive in the 50's and 60's?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: _Redshift_ and Boza