Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 20,000 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done this brake caliper cleaning and lubrication service at a local Tesla Service Centre, or at KalTire, as part of their tire rotation? Cost?
Apparently, this is pretty well the only annual service that Tesla wants us to do because of our cold weather driving conditions.

Probably a road salt issue. It’s amazing when you look at how fast calipers rust in Quebec and Ontario. The pads will stop sliding in the clips after the rust builds up. I just cleaned up the pads on a 2017 Leaf from Montreal. Crazy rust. We don’t see that level of corrosion in Alberta or BC.

2E87D94D-831B-4034-B839-F87FBDD28842.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: skrenes
I had this done last month by Tesla Mobile Service. Cost for rotation and brake service was around $125. I was worried that the brake service would be a simple squirt of brake cleaner, but the service turned out to be quite thorough. In addition, the tech answered all my questions (lots of them), he corrected a problem with the frunk latch that would have caused problems later on and he noted, based on tire wear, an alignment problem (Maine potholes!). Although he couldn't correct the alignment, he provided the specs so I could have it done locally. He was on-site the better part of two hours and he walked me through the process so I can service my own brakes and rotate my tires next year should I choose to do so. If you live in a region where chemicals and sand are used throughout the winter, consider having the annual brake service done.

I was told that mobile service cannot do tire rotations or break service in my area (western NY)
Mobile service here in Maine is provided out of Massachusetts. When I submitted the service request, I asked for mobile service. I submitted the request in early August and Tesla scheduled it for mid-September. Note that they will not dispatch service in winter unless it can be done in an area protected from the weather with a temperature above 45 degrees.

This can absolutely be done by a third party mechanic, and likely for cheap. The only thing to keep in mind is that especially cheap chains sometimes skip the cleanup/lubrication when installing new pads. If you request to simply service them, they may do approximately nothing. Take it somewhere reputable and you should be fine.