Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 20,000 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nowadays they appear to split the brake service into 3 items
  • Clean And Lubricate Brake Calipers (Non-Performance Brakes) (Requires Code 34012501) $61.25 + HST
  • Additional Work Required - Corrosion Present - 0.5 $105 + HST
Either
  • Wheels - Vehicle - Set (Remove & Install) $42.00 + HST
or
  • Seasonal Wheel and Tire Set Swap $84.00 + HST
In 2020 they used to have one item (this is the wheels removed code there is a wheel mount version extra cost)

• Correction: Brake Caliper Pad Slides - Cleaning and Lubrication (With Wheels Removed) $175 +HST
  • Tire Rotation $87 + HST or Wheel Remove and Install

Got a appointment for April 25
Looks like 241$ for cleaning and lubricating the callipers. They haven’t seen the car yet and they already charging for corrosion. They will also install my summer tires.
Funny thing is they are sending someone but i live 5 mins away from the S.C.
Oh well can’t complain as long as the job is well done.

Attachments

• 9400989A-AF68-4AD3-8CF2-5DDA26F43342.jpeg
    9400989A-AF68-4AD3-8CF2-5DDA26F43342.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 182
I suggest those who are a bit mechanically inclined to watch the many Youtube videos on how to lube/service the Tesla model 3/Y brakes. After watching a few videos, I was confident enough to do the job. Very important to do this the first year you get your vehicle prior to winter. The brakes aren't lubed out of the factory, and if you don't do it after the first winter, the first time you do it in the spring you'll see corrosion and it'll be more difficult to clean.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I suggest those who are a bit mechanically inclined to watch the many Youtube videos on how to lube/service the Tesla model 3/Y brakes. After watching a few videos, I was confident enough to do the job. Very important to do this the first year you get your vehicle prior to winter. The brakes aren't lubed out of the factory, and if you don't do it after the first winter, the first time you do it in the spring you'll see corrosion and it'll be more difficult to clean.
I have done the brake servicing on my 2018 LR in spring 2020, 2021, 2022 and when I did it for the first time in 2020, it was very difficult to get those front brake pins to budge, partly because of no lube by Tesla. Since then, its been super easy in 2021 and 2022, to the point that I thinking of going back to 2 year interval.

I have done the brake servicing on my 2018 LR in spring 2020, 2021, 2022 and when I did it for the first time in 2020, it was very difficult to get those front brake pins to budge, partly because of no lube by Tesla. Since then, its been super easy in 2021 and 2022, to the point that I thinking of going back to 2 year interval.
Ya I did my 2018 May delivery Model 3 in the summer of 2019, then skipped 2020, 2021, and just did mine now a few weeks ago, and just a few weeks ago it was super hard to take the pins out. Never again will I skip 2 years in a row. Pandemic got me lazy..

Model S owners, don't forget your parking brake...
2015 Model S 85D. I had done the brakes myself 2 years ago while rotating the tires. They were just dusty, no corrosion. We do not see much salt here in Vancouver, except for brine spray on the roads. I assumed the parking brake would not see much exposure to the elements being on the upper side of the rotor. A month ago my car starting giving parking brake error messages after backing out of a parking stall. I thought it was just a software glitch. After a few viewing a few videos online, there is the potential for the parking brake to stick in a closed position, causing big headache. Fast forward, it did it again in an underground parking lot on the weekend (a little off/on with the parking brake to get home). Hard to determine if it is stuck closed, I did not feel any dragging or heated rotor.
Jacked up the rear of the car (rear passenger wheel frozen even after putting in tow mode) and rather than pull the whole parking brake assembly, I just punched out the pins (they are reverse of the main brakes, pins come outwards). The inner pad was stuck in it's seat. Cleaned them all up, brake grease on the pad edges and re-assembled. I wonder if the parking brake is assembled dry (sans grease) from the factory?
Main brakes seem to carry a lot of brake dust, not much if any corrosion for me. I wonder if EV brake systems can evolve a little to negate these lack of use problems, having said this, my car is a daily driver and never has time to sit and corrode.
I should of had picture to post, but it was a little messy and I was in a hurry to finish.