Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 20,000 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was quoted $175 plus tax “
Brake Caliper Pad Slides - Cleaning and Lubrication (With Wheels Removed)“
for mobile service to Toronto

Just got this done this week by mobile service in Ottawa and when it came time to talk cash it was $175 per axle so double what everyone else is paying. I went ahead anyway but I have to go in next week so I'll "appeal" then if it seems like a mistake. Thoughts - Ottawa premium or just a mistake? Can anyone share a screenshot of the relevant bit of their invoice?

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
Just got this done this week by mobile service in Ottawa and when it came time to talk cash it was $175 per axle so double what everyone else is paying. I went ahead anyway but I have to go in next week so I'll "appeal" then if it seems like a mistake. Thoughts - Ottawa premium or just a mistake? Can anyone share a screenshot of the relevant bit of their invoice?

I paid $175 for the brake service at Tesla Lawrence and the invoice notes "four wheel brake service"

Brake Service.png

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I paid $175 for the brake service at Tesla Lawrence and the invoice notes "four wheel brake service"

Thanks. So either the price went up since then, service centers get to set their own prices or it's a mistake. I'll definitely do it myself next time if this is the new price. FYI the "four wheel brake service" is what the tech types themselves - here's my invoice:

upload_2019-11-2_9-42-58.png

Didn't you get an estimate well before the mobile service appointment day? When the tech did this on my car, it took him approx. 40 minutes
from start to finish:
remove all wheels, service all four calipers and remount the wheels, well within the estimated Service Center hourly rate of 175 CAD shown on the pre-work estimate and the final invoice.

Didn't you get an estimate well before the mobile service appointment day? When the tech did this on my car, it took him approx. 40 minutes
from start to finish:
remove all wheels, service all four calipers and remount the wheels, well within the estimated Service Center hourly rate of 175 CAD shown on the pre-work estimate and the final invoice.

Hey I'm not arguing that it's good value. I got an "estimate" by looking here and seeing what people got quoted. Also I'm not sore about it - I could have just said no on the day and not got it done - I had the option. I'm there to get the job finished during the week so I'll talk to them then - here in Ottawa they're really good to deal with and this was one of the new guys. If it stands, whatever - lesson learned. Like I say I'll do it myself or go to a buddy next time. I didn't have the luxury of having that much time on my hands this week.

Reactions: noicepls
I did the job myself a couple weekends ago. If you take it to a third party, make sure they disconnect the electric parking brake in the rear, if they use service mode to release the parking brake it will time out in about 20 minutes and activate the e-brake and drive the piston.
Discussed and demonstrated in the video above, BTW.

Last edited:
I just had mine done. Was charged $175 per axle and I was informed up front. I even asked about it and Patrick confirmed that they charged per axle. After 40,000 kms, spending $350 as my only maintenance is not a big deal. However, I would be concerned if other SCs charge a different rate, aka $175 for 4 wheels.

Good to know, thanks. My guess is that Ottawa is super-busy and can choose to set its own rates for things that people could do elsewhere.

I'm kinda glad I got them to do it as they ran into an issue with a stuck pin which would have stopped me in my tracks. Clearly it needed doing after 65k. Next year I'll probably do it myself or call a buddy.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I used a 1/8” pin punch but would recommend something larger like 4mm or 3/16”. I ended up buying a longer 3/16” punch afterwards for next time, link below, haven’t tried it yet though.

https://www.amazon.ca/Starrett-248B-Extended-Overall-Diameter/dp/B0006J4QQO

Used 3M silicon paste for the rear caliper pins, and Permatex Silicon Ceramic for pads.

View attachment 469274
I ordered this 3/16" pin punch but it was too big to fit in my calipers (2015 Model S), ended up using a shorter 1/8" version and it worked well

I swapped to winter tires this afternoon and decided to do this brake service at the same time. See note above concerning pin punch diameter.
I also managed to cross-thread a lug nut and possibly damaged the stud as well. Any suggestions as to where (besides Tesla SC) to get the stud and lug nut replaced?

I swapped to winter tires this afternoon and decided to do this brake service at the same time. See note above concerning pin punch diameter.
I also managed to cross-thread a lug nut and possibly damaged the stud as well. Any suggestions as to where (besides Tesla SC) to get the stud and lug nut replaced?

If you did the brake service yourself you could probably change and install a new wheel stud (At your own risk):

- Get a new stud and lug nut from Tesla
- Remove the caliper and disc.
- Rotate the hub to a point where there is room (IF there is room. If there is not room any competent mechanic can replace it for you) behind the stud for it to slide out from the back.
- Whack the stripped stud with a BFH until it pops out the back or preferably rent a small wheel stud press.
- Slide the new one in from the back until the splines hit the hub.
- Use a collar and a lug nut to pull the new stud into the hub until it’s fully seated.

I love this guy:

Last edited:
Not an ideal setup, but I raised the car high enough to place a wheel under the rockers for security. The Rennstand Safety Jack is on my wish list though.

Me want the safety jack as well. Another ‘not ideal’ but works setup for 5 days while my wheels are getting powdercoated. Piece of 2” x 6” on the PowerRamps to support the front jack pucks. Two floor jacks to support the rear jack pucks:

B5A6DD83-56B6-45A1-A386-EA7F80DD1196.jpeg

If you did the brake service yourself you could probably change and install a new wheel stud (At your own risk):

- Get a new stud and lug nut from Tesla
- Remove the caliper and disc.
- Rotate the hub to a point where there is room (IF there is room. If there is not room any competent mechanic can replace it for you) behind the stud for it to slide out from the back.
- Whack the stripped stud with a BFH until it pops out the back or preferably rent a small wheel stud press.
- Slide the new one in from the back until the splines hit the hub.
- Use a collar and a lug nut to pull the new stud into the hub until it’s fully seated.

I love this guy:

Thanks, doesn't look too daunting....I'll give it a shot, nice job for my BFH!

I ordered this 3/16" pin punch but it was too big to fit in my calipers (2015 Model S), ended up using a shorter 1/8" version and it worked well

Sorry to hear it didn’t work for Model S. For the record, I tried the new 3/16 I linked to this weekend and can confirm it works well with Model 3 front non performance Brembos

Attachments

• 7DDFCB01-EA3E-47D8-8D61-311AA0D0E8C2.jpeg
    7DDFCB01-EA3E-47D8-8D61-311AA0D0E8C2.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 276
Not a problem, maybe one day I'll need it for a Model Y, it wasn't expensive.

What was expensive was my trip to the Mississauga SC this morning to buy a few replacement wheel studs and lug nuts. Turns out they don't sell the studs individually, just the whole wheel hub for $360. Spent a long time trying to find a source for the studs themselves, only place I found was ti64.com who sell titanium replacements (part # 6926) for US$21.59 each with US$40 to ship within 10-21 days, ouch.

For anyone interested, the rear wheel hub for the Model S85D is SKF part # BR931008.

Not wanting to drive around for weeks with one lug nut missing, I bought the wheel hub and now am looking for a shop to install it for me.

Also learned that Gorilla 61147CX are direct replacements for the older style Tesla lug nuts.

• Informative
Reactions: Muskol and Ludatik
Hey Everyone,

I scheduled myself to bring in my 32,000km - 11 month old Model 3 LR via the app to have a mobile ranger do it at the Oakville Service Center.

The app won't let me schedule to the service center like it has in the past, but I really don't want my brakes being serviced out in the open streets hence my insistance on doing it at the Oakville SC. Who knows if it will be snowing by the time my scheduled appoinment date arrives...or hairstyle changing wind might take my mobile ranger's tools into my neighbor's parked Audi....

Tesla service just e-mailed me a "PDF to accept" form to sign off on the service/pricing.
It is indeed $175 for all 4 wheels. Please refer to the screenshot below.

Looks like we don't have to pay the Ottawa tax in Toronto.....or maybe Ottawa Tesla SC learned of the member's forum name "richyrich" and applied the rich tax accordingly? =p

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-06 03.21.31.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-06 03.21.31.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Funny
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck