Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 20,000 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cleaning is recommended to be done after winter so that all the salt and mud collected in the brakes during the winter is removed.

I thought I read earlier in the thread that it was recommended to do it before winter (especially your first one) so that the lubrication is in place over the winter to help prevent corrosion in the first place?

Reactions: Arctic_White
I thought I read earlier in the thread that it was recommended to do it before winter (especially your first one) so that the lubrication is in place over the winter to help prevent corrosion in the first place?
It definitely won't hurt to get it done prior to winter, but it's definitely even more important to get it done after as the lube will not last the whole winter and there will be a lot of sand/mud/salt in there.

• Disagree
Reactions: noicepls and cdswm3
bumping an old thread for the start of winter.

looks like kal tire increased their prices for the brake service. my location is charging $60 per axle.

Not bad. Cheaper than Tesla (who in fairness I don't think are really interested in doing this work).

What will be interesting this year is to see which Tesla locations charge per-axle like Ottawa did last year - I paid exactly double what people were paying at Tesla in Toronto on a per-car pricing. I suspect they set high prices when they're way too busy to want the work.

• Disagree
Reactions: noicepls

This is what I do. Mine were done earlier this month and they were in good shape and rust free after two Maine winters. As stated above, key is to have it done prior to the first winter.

Reactions: noicepls
Did the brake clean and lube. Was asked to approve the cost of the job in the app. $262 (175.00 + 87.50 before tax) even before they actually did or looked at it. The invoice said medium corrosion present. Tesla Montreal has Crystal Balls to quote me that. I accepted anyway as I had to go in for a hellish front suspension upper control arms squeak so I was willing to pay the Tesla premium for brake job.

It seems like the regen settings are changing in newer software releases. I wonder if the intent was to help those in colder climates by self adjusting regen. If you are forced to use our brakes a bit more maybe they won't need servicing as frequently.

Technically brake service is recommended on most car makes now, especially in bad conditions. We just don't typically do it because we feel ripped off... I've preferred changing my brakes (myself) when they are done instead of yearly cleanings because I think I save money, and don't have to touch the car often. Now, on my Tesla, I DO intend to clean them every year (myself). The brakes are really not used as much, the guide pins seem to seize etc. That could cost way more (changing calipers etc) than cleaning.

Technically brake service is recommended on most car makes now, especially in bad conditions. We just don't typically do it because we feel ripped off... I've preferred changing my brakes (myself) when they are done instead of yearly cleanings because I think I save money, and don't have to touch the car often. Now, on my Tesla, I DO intend to clean them every year (myself). The brakes are really not used as much, the guide pins seem to seize etc. That could cost way more (changing calipers etc) than cleaning.
Here’s a video from the Electrified Garage that can help illustrate what Gitmart said:

Estimate I got for brake service in Toronto (Lawrence) last week was $225 + HST.

However after the vehicle was brought in, they wanted me to replace front calipers, pads, rotors, and rear rotors at a cost of $1900 o_O

Last time I did the brake service was in 2019, a bit less than 2 years. I suspect not driving as much during 2020 may have made things worse. The estimate says "Corrosion Present - Medium".

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12
Estimate I got for brake service in Toronto (Lawrence) last week was $225 + HST.

However after the vehicle was brought in, they wanted me to replace front calipers, pads, rotors, and rear rotors at a cost of $1900 o_O

Last time I did the brake service was in 2019, a bit less than 2 years. I suspect not driving as much during 2020 may have made things worse. The estimate says "Corrosion Present - Medium".
Oh wow, that's not chump change.....

My first brake clean and lube also had "Corrosion Present - Medium" last October 2020. My 2019 Model 3 SR+ only had 1 winter. Perhaps the benefits of more brake system use and less regen could prove beneficial. Every time I read or hear about how low maintenance or no maintenance a Tesla is I feel it's somewhat inaccurate. Sorry to hear you have to replace your Calipers after only 5 years which I think is unacceptable.

Reactions: TorqueIt