Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 20,000 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have done the brake servicing on my 2018 LR in spring 2020, 2021, 2022 and when I did it for the first time in 2020, it was very difficult to get those front brake pins to budge, partly because of no lube by Tesla. Since then, its been super easy in 2021 and 2022, to the point that I thinking of going back to 2 year interval.

Are you getting this done at a SC (in Woodbridge by chance)? Just curious if the Tesla SC actually lubricates the pins when you get the service performed. Looks like the recco is to get it done before the winter, so will probably do this in Oct.

Are you getting this done at a SC (in Woodbridge by chance)? Just curious if the Tesla SC actually lubricates the pins when you get the service performed. Looks like the recco is to get it done before the winter, so will probably do this in Oct.
I’ve done this myself twice but the last time had it done at Barrie SC since I had some service credits to burn - can confirm Barrie SC lubed the rear slide pins.

Never done this in procedure in a 2016 model S as it was perfectly fine.
Simply slam on the brake every now and then to use them.
Depends what your definition of "perfectly fine" is I suppose. Cleaning the pins and making sure nothing is binding can make sure that "emergency" braking works perfectly. The goal is to have the best braking possible for those times you/your_family/your_passengers need it.

Never done this in procedure in a 2016 model S as it was perfectly fine.

Simply slam on the brake every now and then to use them.
I’m careful to always use my brakes to keep them clean. Especially after a rain.
Been doing that for 4 years.
My brake rotors are in great shape as a result.
What wasn’t in great shape, we’re the caliper pins. Maybe they were never lubed well initially, and yours were, who knows.
I don’t recommend just the brake cleaning process for the rotors, for anyone in a road salt rich environment.
I would have the calipers checked.

I’m careful to always use my brakes to keep them clean. Especially after a rain.
Been doing that for 4 years.
My brake rotors are in great shape as a result.
What wasn’t in great shape, we’re the caliper pins. Maybe they were never lubed well initially, and yours were, who knows.
I don’t recommend just the brake cleaning process for the rotors, for anyone in a road salt rich environment.
I would have the calipers checked.
Yeah this isn’t EV specific stuff. Brakes are brakes on any car. Caliper pins need to be cleaned every so often, more-so especially on EVs since they use the friction brakes less. Caliper piston seals also need to be examined.

I have had a couple calipers seize in other cars in the past before I was more mechanically inclined. I usually get them serviced on all my cars every two years now.

Caliper piston seals also need to be examined.
Something I've wondered about:

On my previous car (Acura RSX) I had caliper pistons cease a few times. I started putting a thin coating of brake lube on the outside rubber piston seals, at the edges between the rubber and the metal. I did the same for the rubber "accordion" seals for the slider pins. I did this twice a year when servicing the brakes during summer to winter tire swaps. This seemed to prevent the pistons and slider pins from ceasing. (Any lube I've used always said it was safe for rubber seals.)

I haven't seen this recommended when servicing Tesla brakes. Is it something that might help or hurt?

Something I've wondered about:

On my previous car (Acura RSX) I had caliper pistons cease a few times. I started putting a thin coating of brake lube on the outside rubber piston seals, at the edges between the rubber and the metal. I did the same for the rubber "accordion" seals for the slider pins. I did this twice a year when servicing the brakes during summer to winter tire swaps. This seemed to prevent the pistons and slider pins from ceasing. (Any lube I've used always said it was safe for rubber seals.)

I haven't seen this recommended when servicing Tesla brakes. Is it something that might help or hurt?
It definitely won't hurt. The calipers used on the Tesla's are better units than the ones used on the Integra and RSX for sure but they are maintained the same say.

I had some notifications appear indicating my parking brakes were acting up again, I just serviced them last year. One has to be careful they are sticking and not releasing. They are quick to service, jack up car, remove tire. Have the wheels blocked and the car in tow mode to release the pak brake. The two pins come from the outer side of the assembly, opposite to the main brakes. I lube the pins and the edges of the pads. The other sliding mechanism seems to be moving freely. In Vancouver we see little salt and snow relative to back East. I would havenhoped that did not act up this soon. Perhaps there is an issue with the servos, but I am not sure how to determine if they are source of the notifications, I just start with the simple stuff first.

Attachments

• 20221104_212023.jpg
    20221104_212023.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 92