Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla reduced price by $2k for M3, $5k for S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why not cut Y also? This makes Y less attractive.
Greater segmentation between sedan and crossover class that exists for most carmakers. More importantly, the Y just launched and likely is not experiencing as much of a demand decrease as others since they are still fulfilling pre-orders. This price cut would upset those who waited a long time to have it immediately drop in price.

Price drops are inevitable but even I think it would be too soon after the launch of a new model.

Reactions: kevin1
why not cut Y also? This makes Y less attractive.

Y has never design language as well never tech over the 3 and especially over the S/X Enoch will eventually get some of the same updates. Y just started shipping months. Y is likely to be the most popular model and doesn’t need the price drop to sell. S/X/Y were released when their was still some federal rebates. Y was released after they’ve were all gone.

Not disagreeing but I can see several possible reasons above.

It seems with many it just depends on whether you have an SA that's on top of things? Thankfully mine's very good to work with. I asked mine on Wed. about the price reduction, said typically that's applied on delivery day, and today he said he opened up a "case" and the price change would be reflected in my account in a couple days. Then he gave me my VIN (I ordered last Sat.).

Ordered my MX in early February, got it delivered in mid March just as everything was shutting down. I was not much disturbed by the price drop as I know these things happen and I was glad to have the car. Once I heard about no longer offering free Supercharging I felt like I got the better deal.

Ordered my MX in early February, got it delivered in mid March just as everything was shutting down. I was not much disturbed by the price drop as I know these things happen and I was glad to have the car. Once I heard about no longer offering free Supercharging I felt like I got the better deal.

I guess the "free" supercharging beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I don't think I'll use my car for long-ish trips more than maybe once or twice a year. Nearly all of my charging happens in my garage or (soon) at the office. So having to spring for 4-6 supercharge top-ups over the course of a year doesn't seem particularly onerous to me. I suppose for someone who doesn't have a place to charge at home or who lives near a supercharger location, it could be interesting.

Best,

Y has never design language as well never tech over the 3 and especially over the S/X Enoch will eventually get some of the same updates. Y just started shipping months. Y is likely to be the most popular model and doesn’t need the price drop to sell. S/X/Y were released when their was still some federal rebates. Y was released after they’ve were all gone.

Not disagreeing but I can see several possible reasons above.

Autocorrect... newer?

The Free Supercharging kind of messed up the reality of offering on route quick charging for owners on longer trips.

The allure of getting something "FREE" induced people to charge locally instead of charging at home where it was more convenient and still relatively economical compared to buying gasoline.

This clogged up many of the Urban chargers that were mostly intended for owners that had no options for home charging (renters or condo residents)

Believe the price reductions will result in more sales for Tesla than will continuing Free Supercharging.

Tesla sells 10X more vehicles without free supercharging that with.

Probably more equitable as well.

This clogged up many of the Urban chargers that were mostly intended for owners that had no options for home charging (renters or condo residents

Interestingly when I placed another new order yesterday I almost immediately got a call from Tesla. They wanted to see how I planned to charge, if I had charging questions, or if I needed any help with home charging options.

Interesting timing I’ve never got a call from them about this with other new purchases.

Anyhow just a comment.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I guess the "free" supercharging beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I don't think I'll use my car for long-ish trips more than maybe once or twice a year. Nearly all of my charging happens in my garage or (soon) at the office. So having to spring for 4-6 supercharge top-ups over the course of a year doesn't seem particularly onerous to me. I suppose for someone who doesn't have a place to charge at home or who lives near a supercharger location, it could be interesting.

Best,
It adds up. To me it’s worth dropping by at low SOC to pick up 10-60% and top off to 90% at home. Saves me money and time spent charging especially on a 100kWh pack.

Even on 75kWh pack like on my P3D I’ll occasionally do the same to save time if I know I’ll be on the go soon again with a short stop at home. (9.6kW charging max for the time being)

It adds up. To me it’s worth dropping by at low SOC to pick up 10-60% and top off to 90% at home. Saves me money and time spent charging especially on a 100kWh pack.

Even on 75kWh pack like on my P3D I’ll occasionally do the same to save time if I know I’ll be on the go soon again with a short stop at home. (9.6kW charging max for the time being)

I guess you could keep a spreadsheet of Tesla SSO - Sign In for ROI. I do like the quick fill idea, almost like a gas station and errands

I don't like going down to 10% on my SR (not sure if it's good for the battery either)

I would assume there is no recourse for you since you have taken delivery of your vehicle before the price change. Some have chosen to reach out to their SA’s to see if there is anything they can credit (like service, supercharging miles, etc,) but I wouldn’t expect anything unfortunately.
NOTHING...not even "free connectivity" for a year. That's the answer I got from factory and sales mgr near my house! Horrid customer treatment.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
NOTHING...not even "free connectivity" for a year. That's the answer I got from factory and sales mgr near my house! Horrid customer treatment.

If the price had gone up, would you have written them a check for the difference?

If not I'm unsure what you're mad about.

Legacy auto is even worse- with 2 people buying on the same day often paying wildly different prices.