Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla reduced price by $2k for M3, $5k for S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh please!

Please what?

If you get mad they won't make up a price difference 3 weeks later, but you'd be unwilling to make one up the other way 3 weeks later, you don't really have a valid reason to be upset.

Did you also get mad at legacy dealers after a purchase anytime they ran a sale? Or when you heard the guy who bought the same day you did negotiated better and paid less?

The car cost what it cost when you bought it.

Clearly you were ok paying that price, since you paid it.

What happens later to future buyers has no bearing on that transaction.

Reactions: Arctic_White
Please what?

If you get mad they won't make up a price difference 3 weeks later, but you'd be unwilling to make one up the other way 3 weeks later, you don't really have a valid reason to be upset.

Did you also get mad at legacy dealers after a purchase anytime they ran a sale? Or when you heard the guy who bought the same day you did negotiated better and paid less?

The car cost what it cost when you bought it.

Clearly you were ok paying that price, since you paid it.

What happens later to future buyers has no bearing on that transaction.
You're just a shill for Tesla. Right down to the "Legacy Dealers" quote. Don't bother me with your "reasoning".

You're just a shill for Tesla. Right down to the "Legacy Dealers" quote. Don't bother me with your "reasoning".

I'm sorry critical thinking upsets you so much and you confuse facts and basic logic for shilling.

You keep thinking you have some sort of sound basis to be upset, and keep failing to actually articulate or support that idea in any way, or refute any of the basic facts that make it clear you do not.

You're of course entitled be upset about anything you want. Just as others are entitled to point out when such upset is irrational. Like now.

They've still got potentially hundreds of thousands of pre-orders to fill on the Y- there's no need to make it "more attractive" currently.
We still have an active order despite picking up a MX 100D. Once we finally get word on when it will deliver we may still buy it and try it against my P3D. Who knows, maybe i'd keep it with it having range improvements against the 3.

If the price had gone up, would you have written them a check for the difference?

If not I'm unsure what you're mad about.

Legacy auto is even worse- with 2 people buying on the same day often paying wildly different prices.

Tesla's transparency gets them in trouble. Then again there have been anecdotal evidence here that people got better option pricing thru the right SAs here. That was part of the reason I bought a black SR. Can't get any better pricing than the base $35K

Truly the best value until the recent SR+ price drop.

Naah- SR+ was cheaper at launch than it is today.

Used to be $37,000 at launch, and you could get a $3750 tax rebate... so $33,250 net... plus $3000 for basic AP- so $36,250... (it later went up to $37,500, but that'd still be only $36,750 after the tax credit and buying basic AP for 3k).

Today same car (after "price drop") is $37,990.

Even better was if you were able to get one between April 12th and June 30th of 2019... that's when they made the price $39,500 and included basic AP...but you still got the $3750 tax credit, so $35,750 total with AP included.

Which I think most people would agree beats $37,990 for the same car... and certainly beats $35,000 for an SR with no AP.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and PNWLeccy
Naah- SR+ was cheaper at launch than it is today.

Used to be $37,000 at launch, and you could get a $3750 tax rebate... so $33,250 net... plus $3000 for basic AP- so $36,250... (it later went up to $37,500, but that'd still be only $36,750 after the tax credit and buying basic AP for 3k).

Today same car (after "price drop") is $37,990.

Even better was if you were able to get one between April 12th and June 30th of 2019... that's when they made the price $39,500 and included basic AP...but you still got the $3750 tax credit, so $35,750 total with AP included.

Which I think most people would agree beats $37,990 for the same car... and certainly beats $35,000 for an SR with no AP.
Assuming you had the tax liability to take advantage of this, sure. Arguably someone who waited on the *almost base* model would be less likely to have had that added tax liability.

Assuming you had the tax liability to take advantage of this, sure. Arguably someone who waited on the *almost base* model would be less likely to have had that added tax liability.

It seems unlikely a lot of folks wouldn't have had $3750 in tax liability when buying a new $35,000 car.

Even if you did find a few folks somehow spending MORE than 55-65% of their annual income on a car.... even then- every dollar of liability over $1500 (and I'm gonna be REALLY dubious -anybody- outside bizarre one-offs bought a 35k car with less liability than that) made it dollar for dollar cheaper than buying a new one today for those April->June buyers I mention.

It seems unlikely a lot of folks wouldn't have had $3750 in tax liability when buying a new $35,000 car.

Even if you did find a few folks somehow spending MORE than 55-65% of their annual income on a car.... even then- every dollar of liability over $1500 (and I'm gonna be REALLY dubious -anybody- outside bizarre one-offs bought a 35k car with less liability than that) made it dollar for dollar cheaper than buying a new one today for those April->June buyers I mention.

55-65%? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the average household income of a typical Tesla buyer is a lot higher than you think. I bet you a significant portion of buyers just cut a check at the time of purchase and wouldn't give a second thought about low single digit thousands in either direction. Just enter your bank routing and account number at the time of purchase on the handy form and voila.

But it sure is interesting watching a small number of people kvetch over it on the forums....(not really). Slow news week?

Best,

• Disagree
Reactions: Stickboy46

Indeed. Had I gone through with my SR+ purchase, it would have been significantly cheaper to me than it would be today. I didn't really want Autopilot anyway, both because I live in a low density environment where the $3k is poor value., and because Tesla has no dumb cruise fallback.

55-65%? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the average household income of a typical Tesla buyer is a lot higher than you think.

I think you are misunderstanding my post.

I'm pointing out very FEW buyers would have income so low they don't have $3750 in tax liability.

Exactly the opposite of the point you appear to think I was making.

Maybe you mean to reply to the same guy I was replying to- who was saying the $3750 tax credit only mattered to those with enough tax liability to claim it?

Typical MS/X buyer =/= Typical 3/Y buyer. I'd bet money more folks will stretch their budget and or take long loans to buy the latter. -- folks who possibly wouldn't have had the tax liability even at the last gasp Q4 2019.

And yes, I'm aware that just because you take a loan doesn't mean you couldn't otherwise afford the car: This is my situation as money is/was/will continue to be cheaper to borrow and retain in securities where earnings eclipse the interest in a good auto loan.

I think you are misunderstanding my post.

I'm pointing out very FEW buyers would have income so low they don't have $3750 in tax liability.

Exactly the opposite of the point you appear to think I was making.

Maybe you mean to reply to the same guy I was replying to- who was saying the $3750 tax credit only mattered to those with enough tax liability to claim it?

My bad. I misunderstood you.

Best,

Typical MS/X buyer =/= Typical 3/Y buyer. I'd bet money more folks will stretch their budget and or take long loans to buy the latter. -- folks who possibly wouldn't have had the tax liability even at the last gasp Q4 2019.

In general to not have $1875 in tax liability as a single person you'd need to be earning significantly less in a full year than the car cost.

Are there a lot of people making 25k a year buying $35,000 cars?

Even as a married couple only needs to earn between them about 43k, which mins standard deduction gets you about $1875 in tax liability.

Again are there tons of folks making barely over 40k buying $35,000 cars?

Average income for ALL new car buyers is about double that.

In general to not have $1875 in tax liability as a single person you'd need to be earning significantly less in a full year than the car cost.

Are there a lot of people making 25k a year buying $35,000 cars?

Even as a married couple only needs to earn between them about 43k, which mins standard deduction gets you about $1875 in tax liability.

Again are there tons of folks making barely over 40k buying $35,000 cars?

Average income for ALL new car buyers is about double that.

With tax, reg as a DP:

You could be in a 3SR+ ($38K) for under $600/mo at 2.99%/72mos. That’s actually very reasonable against any other comparable vehicle and still affordable for someone in the lower middle income range.