Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Reduces Model Y Delivery Timeline By 4 Weeks, Other Cars By 2-3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Is the factory cranking out vehicles at a faster pace, or is demand low? If you recently ordered a Tesla Model Y, you probably saw on the Tesla website that the estimated delivery timeline was 8 to 12 weeks. In comparison, the Model 3, Model S, and Model X had delivery times at 5 to...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/06/01/tesla-model-y-delivery-timeline-accelerated/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

• Informative
Reactions: DaBucketKicker
Considering many Day One reservations for AWD 5 seaters have not heard a peep, and that many who ordered as late as April 2020 have their VINs and delivery dates, something is really off.

Would it not be an expectation that those with earlier reservations should be hearing about delivery first (since the "8-12 weeks" estimate is now 4 weeks old)?

Considering many Day One reservations for AWD 5 seaters have not heard a peep, and that many who ordered as late as April 2020 have their VINs and delivery dates, something is really off.

Would it not be an expectation that those with earlier reservations should be hearing about delivery first (since the "8-12 weeks" estimate is now 4 weeks old)?
I learned through this process that this just isn't how Tesla operates.

They build in batches and fill orders based on what they have built, not based on when you ordered it.

Reactions: jboy210
Same goes for us in Canada. We have yet to see our first car be delivered up north.

I wonder if TESLA is allowing some recent orders to filter in before reservation holders to improve the revenue since those of use who ordered early are seeing a slight discount including FSD and the upgraded rim.

not a large difference in money, but it would add up depending on demand.

Last edited:
I learned through this process that this just isn't how Tesla operates.

They build in batches and fill orders based on what they have built, not based on when you ordered it.
Understood, but there are examples of posters who have the exact configuration, in the same geographical area, where the earlier reservation holder watched recent orders being fulfilled first.

Again, like love, Tesla works in mysterious ways. :confused:

Yes, one might assume deliveries by order date if they are all the same build, and ordered from the same US State or Country.

Rollout for Model 3 was in California ONLY at first, then West Coast, then Arizona moving east ;) That way, issues could get addressed more quickly close to home, and delivery time was shortest so TPT (Throughput Time) was lower as I understood it. So maybe the same is happening with Model Y - just a hunch.

Remember, Tesla must maintain profitability and growth for the mission ASAP while every car company tries to stop them. So exactly when people get vehicles has always been a mystery for this reason. No surprise, these "delivery stories" were constantly spun against Tesla in the media. (And still are here maybe?)

A few likely cancel orders on this game, but likely for other reasons as well. You don't wait for your Tesla for several months (years in my case after standing in line with 600 other buyers in Oct 2016), then take your ball and go home before the game begins.

Understood, but there are examples of posters who have the exact configuration, in the same geographical area, where the earlier reservation holder watched recent orders being fulfilled first.

Again, like love, Tesla works in mysterious ways. :confused:

Maybe only one ordered FSD. There is a serious race happening on many levels, so reverse engineering their delivery algorithm isn't my thing.

The alternative is you can go to your local Ford dealership today... enough said.

I'm still waiting for some word as well, and put down a $2500. deposit for a Y last November. I attempted to add a hitch a few weeks ago, via phone, but that doesnt appear on the online statement yet, even though customer service told me it would be listed in 48-72 hours. Patience is a virtue.

Indeed, enough said to a two Tesla owner since 2015. You?
Just the original LR Premium White RWD with EAP+FSD. Quick math, after rebates and 2 yrs fuel savings, I only paid $6,500 for this pleasure craft and amazing safety, ON A NEW VEHICLE!
I called sales yesterday for a Model Y, still 2 weeks to see one in Phx area. They tried pretty hard to get me to sign up online while I wait ;) Then we had this discussion on having to buy FSD again if I trade mine in, so they suggested a private sale. Problem is, I want them all. So far, the stock price is leaning the right direct for that to happen this year.

upload_2020-6-1_11-31-18.png

Reactions: rxlawdude
Given what the company has accomplished, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is an algorithm that optimizes deliveries, balancing profitability with volume. This may mean “unfair” to certain buyers, as the optimized matching of production and orders may not prioritize order date or customer history or other aspects one could factor.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if the order-to-production “algorithm” is a person with two Excel spreadsheets manually moving orders from one worksheet to another.

• Funny
Reactions: CodeNameDuch
I'm still waiting for some word as well, and put down a $2500. deposit for a Y last November. I attempted to add a hitch a few weeks ago, via phone, but that doesnt appear on the online statement yet, even though customer service told me it would be listed in 48-72 hours. Patience is a virtue.
When adding the hitch, was your reservation price readjusted? The consensus is that it would be and probably cheaper to order / instal after delivery.

Just the original LR Premium White RWD with EAP+FSD. Quick math, after rebates and 2 yrs fuel savings, I only paid $6,500 for this pleasure craft and amazing safety, ON A NEW VEHICLE!
I called sales yesterday for a Model Y, still 2 weeks to see one in Phx area. They tried pretty hard to get me to sign up online while I wait ;) Then we had this discussion on having to buy FSD again if I trade mine in, so they suggested a private sale. Problem is, I want them all. So far, the stock price is leaning the right direct for that to happen this year.

View attachment 546863
They actually told you they won't be delivering to Phoenix for two weeks? That's odd - usually they just repeat info you can find on their website, saying they don't have visibility into who gets what and when 'til a VIN is assigned...