Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Reduces Model Y Delivery Timeline By 4 Weeks, Other Cars By 2-3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OF COURSE there's a drop-off in demand. One doesn't lower prices when there is no demand issue. Tesla doesn't want to make less money, it wants to make more. One week prior to the price reductions, Musk announced FSD was increasing by $1,000 in a sloppy and frantic bid to increase demand. It failed. One week later Tesla drops prices on all vehicles except the Model Y, which has no demand issue.

This is as plainly obvious as the noses on our faces. I'd like to think this is because the public has finally wised up to Tesla's technical issues, poor build quality, and poor service. More likely, however, it is the COVID effect causing people to stop buying. Most financially astute people hold their money during a crisis, they don't spend it.

In time, there will be Model Y price reductions as well.

Ok, I ordered my AWD, LR, FSD, Red with White/Black Interior Model Y at the end of January and except for having my account show that they have received everything from me, Insurance Info, Drivers License Number, Payment, etc. I have heard nothing other than the email that reservation holders received on May 13th. As of today I can find no VIN Number in the source code when I login.

I am not really complaining, but how hard would it be for Tesla to put a count down on your login page to show approximate days until delivery. Then if there is an issue they could simply state, due to events beyond their control they need to add X number of days to all deliveries...

Last edited:
I was told by the Las Vegas folks that I had top priority given my 10/19 order date and profile complete status. However, seeing all these 2020 orders fulfilled is disheartening.

Hopefully you and I will both get our Model Y soon. Yeah it's weird seeing people order and get their Model Y in a few weeks when we've been waiting for months. Personally I'm fine with it nd don't really need it now, I just want it.

When adding the hitch, was your reservation price readjusted? The consensus is that it would be and probably cheaper to order / instal after delivery.
I called again today, and they gave me a totally different answer-- that if I added the hitch, the base price would increase (the opposite of what I was told two weeks ago. I felt compelled to cancel the hitch. :eek:

I called again today, and they gave me a totally different answer-- that if I added the hitch, the base price would increase (the opposite of what I was told two weeks ago. I felt compelled to cancel the hitch. :eek:
This what others have said also. It's not available in the shopping area yet, but I hope will be available for order soon.

Considering many Day One reservations for AWD 5 seaters have not heard a peep, and that many who ordered as late as April 2020 have their VINs and delivery dates, something is really off.

Would it not be an expectation that those with earlier reservations should be hearing about delivery first (since the "8-12 weeks" estimate is now 4 weeks old)?

Tesla also delivers based on location, it makes more sense for them to sell to customers in CA 1st, since they are closest to the Fremont Factory, slowly expand their reach. Also with end of quarter only few weeks away they will definitely focus on that 1st. We shall see expansion in Q3.

OF COURSE there's a drop-off in demand. One doesn't lower prices when there is no demand issue. Tesla doesn't want to make less money, it wants to make more. One week prior to the price reductions, Musk announced FSD was increasing by $1,000 in a sloppy and frantic bid to increase demand. It failed. One week later Tesla drops prices on all vehicles except the Model Y, which has no demand issue.

This is as plainly obvious as the noses on our faces. I'd like to think this is because the public has finally wised up to Tesla's technical issues, poor build quality, and poor service. More likely, however, it is the COVID effect causing people to stop buying. Most financially astute people hold their money during a crisis, they don't spend it.

In time, there will be Model Y price reductions as well.

Not sure if you follow Elon and Tesla on regular basis but if you did you would know $1K price increase has been mentioned last year, this is not NEW information that suddenly was revealed by Elon on a whim. He constantly informs public that with additional features being enabled as part of Autonomous driving, price will increase. Yes Demand has dropped a bit for every car out there, no question about it, it is also very likely Tesla wants to boost sales in order to turn profit in Q2 so they can get included in S&P 500. Maybe they are clearing stock so with Q3 they can introduce multiple improvements for Model S, X, and 3 and then boost prices back up with improved margins.

Tesla also delivers based on location, it makes more sense for them to sell to customers in CA 1st, since they are closest to the Fremont Factory, slowly expand their reach. Also with end of quarter only few weeks away they will definitely focus on that 1st. We shall see expansion in Q3.

IMO. It takes them longer to ship to East coast. So they ship to east coast first. By the time it gets there, they are producing to sell to the West Coast. If they delivered to West Coast first and fulfilled orders here, they wouldn't be able to get them to the East coast in time by EOQ due to transit time

I'm getting a second Model 3 this year and the speed-up has me worried. I wasn't going to purchase the second Tesla till Jul or Aug since I'm 100% work from home for time being with pandemic and at least 50% for rest of year. Additional the wife just got a new plug-in hybrid Audi a week ago; she won't go all electric yet. I only put the order in due to price drop, pending FSD price increase, and fears Musk will raise the price back up or mess with the packages. But then I got a text TWO days's after putting in the order that the car would be in route to delivery center in a few days. Certainly hope (even more) corners weren't cut to get these cars out for the quarter with the steep drop in sales lately. Some corner cutting is fine, but not more then they generally have made on my other cars please.