Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla reduces price of FSD for EAP owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has reduced the price of its Full Self-Driving Package by $1,000 for owners of the Enhanced Autopilot package.

Tesla reduces Full Self-Driving Package price for EAP owners - Electrek

Electrek has the worst takes. No one does this kind of "price guarantee indefinitely into the future". Amazon doesn't even do price matching.

Electrek’s Take
I hope that Tesla will issue refunds to the EAP owners who paid an extra $1,000 for it considering how Tesla has been pushing the idea that the price will only go up from now on.​

I bought FSD for both cars during the big, temporary price cut in 4/2019, and it amazes me that Tesla can get away with the current pricing of what is mostly vaporware. Yes, I do know about the current betas (and I also know about the million robo taxis that will be in place by the end of 2020:)). The history of the company says they will definitely have many sales on this software in the future. So unless you have a lease or otherwise don’t plan a long-term marriage to your car, wait six months or a year. Maybe a real product will be ready by then.

Last edited:
I bought FSD for both cars during the big, temporary price cut in 4/2019, and it amazes me that Tesla can get away with the current pricing of what is mostly vaporware.

They aren't.

If it was a success, they wouldn't be doing these random sales when they need to pump numbers.

They'd also be releasing info on how many are sold. Instead its hidden info. If it was a run away success, they'd be bragging about it.

AP+FSD should has traditionally cost $8000 combined. I paid $3,000 for AP, so there's not a chance in hell I pay $10,000 for FSD. lol.

And worse yet, my car is now 2 years older, so the remaining value of the vehicle has decreased. FSD doesn't transport between vehicles.

None of this makes sense. I didn't pay $5,000 for FSD when my car was new, it certainly isn't worth twice that now that my car has 2 years left lifespan.

Obviously the games will stop once there aren't any more suckers to take in. Then maybe FSD pricing will return to earth.

Electrek has the worst takes. No one does this kind of "price guarantee indefinitely into the future". Amazon doesn't even do price matching.

Electrek’s Take
I hope that Tesla will issue refunds to the EAP owners who paid an extra $1,000 for it considering how Tesla has been pushing the idea that the price will only go up from now on.​

Amazon has a 2 month return window these days. So yes you can get a better price if it goes down.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I paid $5k for EAP when I bought my 2018 MS. IIRC, at its cheapest point, the FSD upgrade was either 2 or $3k for me. At that time Tesla would take your $ for FSD but wouldn't install the hardware- nor would they make any promises when you could expect the HW upgrade to take place. Because of that, it seemed very foolish to spend money on the upgrade considering I had no idea when the hardware was coming let alone the software.

At some point they raised the price to $4k and even then the HW upgrades seemed to be sparse and only going to "social media influencers". This was around the time when people started finding out the M3's they thought were "FSD capable" actually shipped with HW2.5. Then the price went to $5k for the EAP-FSD upgrade, and it seemed like if you paid that you could schedule an appointment and may or may not hit the HW upgrade lottery. Reports were still coming in of people getting turned down, but when pressed Tesla all of a sudden have the hardware in stock and were able to do it for certain people. Essentially during that time it was "squeaky customer wheel gets the grease," which if I'm being honest seems like Tesla has been in that mode of service since about 2017-18 and continues to current day. That's why I haven't taken my car in for service at all, including to try and get my yellowing screen zapped. I figured I'll try and get them to do a big service and take care of that just before the 50k mile warranty is up. I'm sure my HEPA filter looks awful but it's just a pain to deal with service and I want to interact with them as little as possible.

Over time the price rose from $5k to $7k for the EAP to FSD upgrade. Now it seems to have dropped back to $5k, which IMO is still too much for something that I have no idea when I will actually be able to use its features. If I pulled the trigger right now the best I would get is smoother visuals (from the more powerful HW3) and traffic sign/light functionality... which is NOT worth $5k.

This whole thing has been a fiasco. I wish Tesla wouldn't raise prices on something until it actually was widely available after purchase. Handling like they have been has felt like a huge bully/pressure tactic and it just alienates the customer base. Feels like a shakedown to be honest.

As much as I want to upgrade I think I'm still going to wait even with this price drop... EAP is 90% of what I need and honestly I'm just struggling to justify the price for something I have no idea when I'd actually be able to use the most compelling part of the upgrade (e.g. the car "fully" negotiating city streets when AP is engaged). I wish Tesla offered a HW3 upgrade package right now (for say $2k) then I might go for it because I'd know I was FSD capable for when the monthly subscription becomes a reality. I WFH almost 100% so I really only use AP on road trips anyway... and even then I barely use Nav on AP because it makes the car more jumpy and I don't think it makes great decisions. What I use the most is AP and the auto-lane change on the highway, which I already have... *shrugs* :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Amazon has a 2 month return window these days. So yes you can get a better price if it goes down.

Not for all products.

ps : Amazon.com Help: Items that Can't be Returned

• Computer laptops, desktops, and Kindles more than 30 days after delivery
  • Items classified as hazardous materials or that use flammable liquids or gases (contact the manufacturer directly for service, warranty, return, and refund information)
  • Any product missing the serial number or UPC
  • Downloadable software products
  • Online subscriptions after they have been accessed
  • Gift cards (except as required by law)
  • Prepaid game cards (World of Warcraft, Xbox 360 Live, Wii Points, etc.)
  • Some jewelry orders
  • Some health and personal care orders
  • Grocery products
  • Open software
  • Items with special shipping restrictions
  • Live insects

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar

Electrek’s Take

When someone links to elektrek, I basically know what they are going to say. Lets just say its not a website that I frequent, because i am not a fan of their presentation.

• Love
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I paid $5k for EAP when I bought my 2018 MS. IIRC, at its cheapest point, the FSD upgrade was either 2 or $3k for me. At that time Tesla would take your $ for FSD but wouldn't install the hardware- nor would they make any promises when you could expect the HW upgrade to take place. Because of that, it seemed very foolish to spend money on the upgrade considering I had no idea when the hardware was coming let alone the software.

At some point they raised the price to $4k and even then the HW upgrades seemed to be sparse and only going to "social media influencers". This was around the time when people started finding out the M3's they thought were "FSD capable" actually shipped with HW2.5. Then the price went to $5k for the EAP-FSD upgrade, and it seemed like if you paid that you could schedule an appointment and may or may not hit the HW upgrade lottery. Reports were still coming in of people getting turned down, but when pressed Tesla all of a sudden have the hardware in stock and were able to do it for certain people. Essentially during that time it was "squeaky customer wheel gets the grease," which if I'm being honest seems like Tesla has been in that mode of service since about 2017-18 and continues to current day. That's why I haven't taken my car in for service at all, including to try and get my yellowing screen zapped. I figured I'll try and get them to do a big service and take care of that just before the 50k mile warranty is up. I'm sure my HEPA filter looks awful but it's just a pain to deal with service and I want to interact with them as little as possible.

Over time the price rose from $5k to $7k for the EAP to FSD upgrade. Now it seems to have dropped back to $5k, which IMO is still too much for something that I have no idea when I will actually be able to use its features. If I pulled the trigger right now the best I would get is smoother visuals (from the more powerful HW3) and traffic sign/light functionality... which is NOT worth $5k.

This whole thing has been a fiasco. I wish Tesla wouldn't raise prices on something until it actually was widely available after purchase. Handling like they have been has felt like a huge bully/pressure tactic and it just alienates the customer base. Feels like a shakedown to be honest.

As much as I want to upgrade I think I'm still going to wait even with this price drop... EAP is 90% of what I need and honestly I'm just struggling to justify the price for something I have no idea when I'd actually be able to use the most compelling part of the upgrade (e.g. the car "fully" negotiating city streets when AP is engaged). I wish Tesla offered a HW3 upgrade package right now (for say $2k) then I might go for it because I'd know I was FSD capable for when the monthly subscription becomes a reality. I WFH almost 100% so I really only use AP on road trips anyway... and even then I barely use Nav on AP because it makes the car more jumpy and I don't think it makes great decisions. What I use the most is AP and the auto-lane change on the highway, which I already have... *shrugs* :rolleyes:

Not for all products.

ps : Amazon.com Help: Items that Can't be Returned

• Computer laptops, desktops, and Kindles more than 30 days after delivery
  • Items classified as hazardous materials or that use flammable liquids or gases (contact the manufacturer directly for service, warranty, return, and refund information)
  • Any product missing the serial number or UPC
  • Downloadable software products
  • Online subscriptions after they have been accessed
  • Gift cards (except as required by law)
  • Prepaid game cards (World of Warcraft, Xbox 360 Live, Wii Points, etc.)
  • Some jewelry orders
  • Some health and personal care orders
  • Grocery products
  • Open software
  • Items with special shipping restrictions
  • Live insects

Do most insects live longer than 2 months?