Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how many referrals have you had this period.

I've been emailing tesla, a guy i contact in regards to the referral program, he said no changes have been made but did sent my questions to the program manager to see what is up with this round.

we are grasping at straw and guessing what has changed, but i am sure something has changed.

i went from 10 last round to 0 this round. normally by now i would have a few. i thought it was just me, but after posting, look at the amount of others who are seeing the same issues.

+1, something doesn't seem right for sure.

My guess is that if the link the buyer uses is referred from a random website, lets say google or some forum, the cookie associated to the link invalidates the referral. If the buyer uses the link directly, then it counts.

Not sure if this is Penny Wise Pound foolish for Tesla, but i've stopped all my aggressive marketing efforts and stopped pushing for referrals.

Only the earnings will show how important the referral program really is.

Tesla is trying to see if these referrals are actually creating more sales or not. But if you think about how much money they actually spend on these gifts, its negligible.

Carry on - $40
Jacket- $20 raw cost
radio flyer- $120 cost ( also this is an overstock item that would have been written off in their books)

My guess is that if the link the buyer uses is referred from a random website, lets say google or some forum, the cookie associated to the link invalidates the referral. If the buyer uses the link directly, then it counts.

Doesn't really work that way. No matter how you get to Tesla's website, the referral code cookie is saved in your browser. It's not dependent on the HTTP REFERER code (which carries which website you clicked "from"). Also, the "cookie" is not "associated" with the link on the source page. The cookie is written to your browser only once you've loaded the Tesla webpage.

Also, in many cases, if you are clicking from an HTTPS site to another HTTPS site (like the Tesla referral link), the HTTP REFERER code is stripped out of the header so the receiving site has no idea where the link was clicked from (this is a recent change for privacy reasons). Many browsers and browser extensions block this altogether (I block all HTTP REFERERs unless required by a website to allow self-referring links to work). Additionally, any website can set a "no-referrer" header to block the HTTP REFERER from being sent to the clicked-on website.

Basically, relying on HTTP REFERER is not a way to decide if referral link is "valid" or not.

I'd surmise that the level of competition for referrals has grown substantially. If you look at the threads with referral codes, the list is substantially longer. The free supercharging seems to have been a very strong driver.

With more Tesla owners on the road there are a lot fewer referrals to go around. With about 180,000 owners worldwide at this point and about 25,000 sales per quarter, that means a lot of people will get no referrals. However, there are people who have always gotten a lot of referrals because they have a YouTube channel or something else high profile. In past programs they have always maxxed out, but in the current program most still have 0.

If you look at the MyTesla page they actually ask you to "spread the word" with social media. What is the difference in posting it on Facebook vs Youtube? Don't think they will remove referral links from webpages that promote Tesla.

upload_2017-2-13_20-33-34.png

No, the July 16 program is Phase 5. I was confused, too. If you look at the list and call the July 29th, 2015 program 'Phase 1', then the July 16th - Oct 15th, 2016 would be Phase 5.

View attachment 213720
Someone suggested it awhile back but an annual way to aggregate the programs would be helpful. Tesla's under no obligation to continue the program, so they could start in 2017, like they have, and then stop it in 2017. As long as they were clear it was their choice to continue or stop it, none of us would have any beef. Or they could make it a simple aggregate program, so you get something when you hit 5, 10, 20, whatever, program starting and stopping whenever it fits their need to goose reservations.

Just sent this off to tesla. Hope I get a response. I'm missing quite a bit of referral Merchandise! Specifically, Arachnid Rims.

"
Hello, I have not received rewards yet from the referral program yet. I've gotten just a Carry On Luggage, Though I'm not sure if that was from the May 30th to July 15th program, I have 4 referrals (3 show in my account currently as delivered with 1 as "ordered" or apparently it was never updated). In that Program, I should have gotten a carry On, and a Jacket.
Or for the July 16th-October 15th program, of which I have 6 referrals as Delivered, I should also be getting a Carry On, Jacket and Arachnid Rims.
So What I should have gotten thus far (Not including the most recent program that ended):
2x Carry On's,
2x Jackets
1 Set Arachnid Rims
I have completed all Referral Program Awards Survey's that were sent.

Please get back to me. This is a lot of missing merchandise for ~$3.7 Million in sales I've gotten Tesla just in the referral program.

Also, As for the end of the most recent referral program, I had 10 referrals as of just hours before the closing of the program. Then, magically one referral dissapered leaving me with 9, after I had to turn away a number of people that would have used my code. Looking at the Names and dates of orders that are now provided, the person who cancelled ordered on 11/07/2016, towards the beginning of that referral program, and far past the no-cancellation date of his order. Whats the deal? So I still get to go to the next event? If I would have been allowed to get more referrals than required, I would have had 14 - 1 cancellation =13 referrals!!! This program is getting rather discouraging.

Please get back to me!
Best Regards"

Is this real life? The Tesla lady who was helping me out with my wrong-color arachnid wheels (which btw came with Pirelli tires, not Michelin PSS) just sent me this in response to my request whether I'd still receive a survey to customize my PW2 since a 7th referral just showed up in my account for last round:

"The reward for 7+ referrals in the last round only applies to owners in Canada and Mexico. You are, however, on track to get the red Founders Series Powerwall 2 for this referral period if your current referrals take delivery."

Did anyone else get that memo? And then why the hell don't they change the terms for the US program?

I guess I was confused... she wrote:

This seems to imply the current referral period, not the last round.
Since it mentions 7+ instead of 5+, I would think that would mean it was for the round that ended 1/15. I guess it's true 7 is larger than 5 and it could be this round but I'm betting it was the previous round.

Yes, that part refers to this round. But who ever mentioned anything about the Powerwall only being available for CA and MX last round? All I saw that they added it for North America after first only offering it in Europe for 7 referrals...

Different countries see different terms. They had Powerwalls in Norway (I believe) last round but only people on the Norwegian site saw those terms. Eventually they added the Powerwall for the US and then it showed up on the US terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.