Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be so sure about that...
About what, exactly? Seriously. As of the 19th, owners only have five active referrals, no? Do any after that do anything? I've never heard they do.

Or what do you mean? That they won't run out? I know some have had few referrals, but they still should get spread around a lot more with only five for the 'big guys', no? No matter how they advertise them, or don't.

About what, exactly? Seriously. As of the 19th, owners only have five active referrals, no? Do any after that do anything? I've never heard they do.

Or what do you mean? That they won't run out? I know some have had few referrals, but they still should get spread around a lot more with only five for the 'big guys', no? No matter how they advertise them, or don't.

That the majority will be able to easily acquire five referrals.

That the majority will be able to easily acquire five referrals.
Gotcha. My point was with a limit of 5, I would think stopping blatant advertising would be about all that would need to be done. After some research, it seems the issue is more people putting a sticker on their car saying 'use my link below' and commenting everywhere (twitter, Facebook) with the link than with honest content generating people.

I think any YouTube channel with Tesla content deserves to have the owner's referral available, however they want to do it. Some mention it in the video, some in the description. James Cooke, for one, has never mentioned his link until today, but it's in the description. Others say it every time. Bjorn doesn't even have it in the description (perhaps he thinks enough is enough after all or he's following the new rules!).

Again, each person can only use it once for a real order. I would hope each ordered could use one from someone that helped them on the way to Tesla ownership, if they have one available now with the lower limit.

Reactions: K-MTG
Unless you have a wealthy circle of friends, it's pretty hard to find people who might be buying an S or X. By showing your tesla at events like EV car shows and talking to people there you might have some more luck. (And sharing links online over private message will still go on clearly)

The problem is that the people I know that can afford an X or S already have one.

The problem is that the people I know that can afford an X or S already have one.
This, in a nutshell, is the problem. I said somewhere (I can't keep track) I'm not Elon, and don't have a dozen rich friends to sell/show/refer to. I'm not rich either, but I can afford a 3, and could squeeze to an X. :) I don't know (physically) ANYONE that has a Tesla. I'm the evangelist among my friends and I don't even own one yet. Lol... Talk about chicken and egg... Elon should stop immediately responding to all his tweets (like some other people) unless this was long planned and he was waiting for an excuse. You never know....

Unless you have a wealthy circle of friends, it's pretty hard to find people who might be buying an S or X. By showing your tesla at events like EV car shows and talking to people there you might have some more luck. (And sharing links online over private message will still go on clearly)

This is exactly how I've gotten many referrals. I've also gotten a few from the random 'Tesla Time' conversations in parking lots. I feel like the majority of the referrals have come from people who took a second look at Tesla because of our conversations. (I even converted a former die-hard ICE colleague - it took him MONTHS to pull the trigger, but he finally did.)

I know a lot of people don't like the falcon wing doors, but if you want to get people to come talk to you ... open 'em! And don't forget the power of teenagers and even pre-teen at influencing parents. 'Oh hey, let me show you these neat Easter Eggs...' .

Does this mean you can't advertise it on YT or put it in your signature on TMC?
it's already against forum rules to put your referral code in your sig. but the enforcement by the mods seems to be inconsistent (understandable, enforcement itself would probably be a full time job)...

I think this forum should encourage everyone to put their referral code in their sig. That way if someone comes here to look for information and found the person to be helpful and chose to buy a Tesla, they can chose to use that code...

I agree with @chris5639's suggestion.

TMC has got to be THE best place to learn about and discuss everything-Tesla, in depth with a very broad base of knowledge and a very wide reach. Lots of people learn things on TMC that help with their decision in buying a Tesla - I know I certainly did. I'm guessing the average person thinking of buying a Tesla might not have many personal friends who are already owners, but they can find lots of valuable help on TMC. Likewise most owners probably only know so many people who are serious potential buyers

Currently, according to TMC forum policy, you can't put your referral code in your sig (although unevenly enforced, as mentioned). Meanwhile the mods allow referral codes to be posted in this thread - a kind catch-all safe haven for referral codes. However, there's very little (if any) actual helping people learn about Tesla's cars going on in this thread - all the real help is going on elsewhere on TMC. So there's a disconnect between actual help going on and referrals.

Why not allow people who get useful info from the real, informative threads on TMC more easily use a referral code from someone that helped them by choosing one in the appropriate helper's sig? I don't think that kind of help is against the spirit of Tesla's referral program.

If the forum rules allow just the short code/url itself but no other wordy related description in the sig, I think the sigs won't look too "spammy", which I know was a concern of the mods. Then we could get rid of explicit posting of codes in threads like this, which IMO looks far more spammy than a discrete code in a sig. Or better yet, why not allow or encourage every TMC member to put their referral code on their profile page, and then ban the codes everywhere else on TMC? Unobtrusive, but easy to find for the person that helped you make your buying decision.

Reactions: jkn and boaterva
I'll be purchasing a car soon and would like to use a local owner's code.
One caveat, I would like to make a deal on the radio flyer referral prize.
I have two toddlers who would love the car. If there is a member without young children or family. I would be willing to purchase the toy car below MSRP.

I'll be purchasing a car soon and would like to use a local owner's code.
One caveat, I would like to make a deal on the radio flyer referral prize.
I have two toddlers who would love the car. If there is a member without young children or family. I would be willing to purchase the toy car below MSRP.

I am not local but have no need for the flyer. If you use my link I will give you the toy. You would need to pay for shipping from California.

My Tesla Referral Code

With 5, almost everyone who isn't a 'nobody' will run out in a few months. (Allowing for order processing, etc.). I still this is a bit of overkill by Elon; the change from the 20 whatever to 5 was enough of a limiting factor, I thought.

Maybe they're trying to spread around the benefits a bit? There are currently about 200,000 Tesla owners, which means there are 1 million referrals available. During the time of this referral promotion, Tesla hopes to sell about 50,000 cars. That's very few car sales chasing a lot of referrals available.

Reactions: FlatSix911
This is exactly how I've gotten many referrals. I've also gotten a few from the random 'Tesla Time' conversations in parking lots. I feel like the majority of the referrals have come from people who took a second look at Tesla because of our conversations. (I even converted a former die-hard ICE colleague - it took him MONTHS to pull the trigger, but he finally did.)

I know a lot of people don't like the falcon wing doors, but if you want to get people to come talk to you ... open 'em! And don't forget the power of teenagers and even pre-teen at influencing parents. 'Oh hey, let me show you these neat Easter Eggs...' .

I completely agree with this statement. I for one have received a few referrals just by them seeing the car in various public places. They always come up and ask about the car such as performance, range, and how I charge it. Sometimes I end up talking with them for almost half an hour just because they're so interested. If I have time, I'm always available to give them a ride to "convince" them to go EV.

I remember when the SC gave me a loaner Model X. That's the one that really got attention. Just taking my kids out of the car, people are already looking at me. I live in a middle class suburban neighborhood where not everybody has a Tesla, so these are the people that could afford one but are typically money wise and only buy cars which they consider of value.

Just got this e-mail and wasn't sure if this is new or an already existing policy:

Hi xxx, Thank you for your participation in the Tesla Referral Program. Every referral you make helps to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy, and we appreciate your support. The intent of the program is to provide owners with something special to give to their friends. As such, commercializing, advertising, publishing, mass distributing, or selling referral codes is not appropriate. We kindly ask that you remove your code from any broadly distributed channels. We will be deactivating any referral codes which do not comply with these guidelines. Thank you for your continued support and understanding. Best Regards, The Tesla Team"

Does this mean you can't advertise it on YT or put it in your signature on TMC?

You seem to be a rarity with the email.
Have you been baaaaad? :D

Reactions: bonnie
Status
Not open for further replies.