Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish Tesla stop this referral program. It brings out the worst in people. Wasn't Tesla's unique selling point a clean buying experience? Isn't the referral program going against that very principle? I'm happy to answer questions regarding the car, with or without the program and it's rewards. I am sure many others are too.
I kinda agree. It has been working in my favor, however, The Spam, AdSense ad's with referral codes (yes I know against the rules, people are still doing it in mass! Including people on the leader board) and overall, just doing stuff for the sake of getting the referrals in crazy. I do rely on them in general to get to events to film. I would not rely on them if Tesla would just give me a press pass, however, after 1+ years of emailing the press team, i have to date not gotten a single response, same with referral program team, not a single response (No, not going to spam box, they are just not replying).

The referral program was a great boost to the initial launching of the vehicles. At this point, if you can afford the Model S or X, $1000 discount isn't going to really make or break the decision. You already have your mind set to get one. Might push you to do it slightly faster, but probably not by much.

I wish Tesla stop this referral program.

Yesterday I was talking to somebody that handles and organizes private events for Tesla...like if an org wanted to hold an event at a Tesla store. She said she was about as close as they have to what could be considered a marketing department. I mentioned the referral program and she said that it is ending soon. Asked if that meant in general or just the Jan 31 end date of this phase and she said in general, but also said with Tesla you never really know and it's always a possibility it'll come back in some fashion.

Make of that what you will...if it proves to be true there could be a hiatus of undetermined length after the current phase ends in January...which I guess is really no different than what we know now but figured I'd share what I heard.

Anybody else make the same assumptions as I did?

Just got off the phone with Tesla.

It seems that I was under the false impression that referral awards would be received for each program based on delivery dates. I was told it was based on order dates. No big deal to me since it did not affect my first five awards.
I correctly assumed that my first 5 referrals (delivered 7/19-9/28) qualified for the awards offered prior to 9/29.
I was very disappointed to learn that my 6th and 7th referrals ordered 10/22 &10/23 (6th delivered on 10/29)
do not qualify as the 1st & 2nd referrals under what I assumed was a new program that started on 9/29. (1st & 2nd getting choice of Black HPWC or Tesla for Kids)
I was told it was not a new program, only a change to the current program (5/19/17-1/31/18). So no awards beyond 5, other than the 2% discount per referral towards next gen roadster until you reach 10 where there is another “secret level”???
Anybody know what this 2nd “secret level” is?

Last edited:
I think that may be correct, but contrary to what most people believed (including me).

The rules now say: "Related vehicle order must be placed between May 19, 2017 and January 31, 2018. Owners who reach each level of referral orders after September 28, 2017 will be eligible for updated vehicle awards above."

That implies owners who did reach each level of referral orders before September 28th are not eligible for the updated awards. Harumph.

I have referrals that both ordered and delivered after 9/28, but have not yet received any notifications of the black wall charger or radio-flyer awards in the "updated" awards, since I reached those levels prior to 9/28.

In a way that's a good thing. Not sure I can handle yet another set of Arachnid wheels. ;)

Although another Powerwall 2 would have been nice.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Anybody else make the same assumptions as I did?

Just got off the phone with Tesla.

It seems that I was under the false impression that referral awards would be received for each program based on delivery dates. I was told it was based on order dates. No big deal to me since it did not affect my first five awards.
I correctly assumed that my first 5 referrals (delivered 7/19-9/28) qualified for the awards offered prior to 9/29.
I was very disappointed to learn that my 6th and 7th referrals ordered 10/22 &10/23 (6th delivered on 10/29)
do not qualify as the 1st & 2nd referrals under what I assumed was a new program that started on 9/29. (1st & 2nd getting choice of Black HPWC or Tesla for Kids)
I was told it was not a new program, only a change to the current program (5/19/17-1/31/18). So no awards beyond 5, other than the 2% discount per referral towards next gen roadster until you reach 10 where there is another “secret level”???
Anybody know what this 2nd “secret level” is?
Did you receive a solar token?

Did you receive a solar token?
I did not receive a solar roof token, which was the reason I called.
I was told that there was no official email notification being sent out for that award. Only that a representative from the solar group would be contacting me eventually. I think it’s more of a sales lead on there end than it is an award on my end. I also asked about the power wall 2, which I had at least received a survey about my intended use. I was basically told the same thing ... that somebody would be contacting me from the solar group because installation needed to be arranged.

I was told that there was no official email notification being sent out for that award. Only that a representative from the solar group would be contacting me eventually. I think it’s more of a sales lead on there end than it is an award on my end. I also asked about the power wall 2, which I had at least received a survey about my intended use. I was basically told the same thing ... that somebody would be contacting me from the solar group because installation needed to be arranged.
I always thought the solar token was a joke. Why even offer it. I also received a survey for the powerwall 2 weeks ago and that was that. They don't do a very good job of getting the awards out. The award program should be pretty easy. Not for them.

Yep... the referral program makes me loathe myself... they should absolutely get rid of it. Everyone should STOP POSTING THEIR CODES!!!! (psssst, except for my code... shhhhhhhhh........ just PM me for free supercharging for life... my child really needs a new radio flyer and his mommy needs some arachnid wheels)

Yesterday I was talking to somebody that handles and organizes private events for Tesla...like if an org wanted to hold an event at a Tesla store. She said she was about as close as they have to what could be considered a marketing department.
They have a marketing department.

From Tesla Gives Execs Rare Taste Of The Spotlight

"Another executive was Colette Bridgman, Tesla’s Global Director of Marketing, who’s been with the company almost a decade "

I am getting ready to order, get your code to work and I'll use it :p that would be number 3 and a set of wheels you could sell me real cheap
Thanks! My code works! Unlimited Tesla Supercharging and Extended Solar Warranty But don't you have your own code that you can use? I have no idea what prize I'll get at this point, no wheels to send your way. (I've already got my set...)

Hey, I was at the new service center earlier in the week and checked out *our* bike path. We did good. :)

Was wondering if there would be a notification. Not that I'm anxious to get it. LOL. Just a stepping stone to get to the 3rd referral and free rims/tires. Am anxiously awaiting that email :)

I wish Tesla stop this referral program. It brings out the worst in people. Wasn't Tesla's unique selling point a clean buying experience? Isn't the referral program going against that very principle? I'm happy to answer questions regarding the car, with or without the program and it's rewards. I am sure many others are too.

When in school and we had those candy drives, I used to suck at them. My parents would buy the minimum stock I needed to sell to get them off my back.

I am capable of talking up something I believe in and I do believe in Tesla. All my friends are jealous, but only one has enough money to afford an S or X and he thinks they are too big for him. He is interested in the Model 3 or Roadster. Many of my friends are watching the Model 3 with interest to see what will happen. Maybe if there is an incentive program on the M3 by the time they bite, I might get something, but I just don't have many friends wealthy enough to afford Tesla's current offerings.

Those with some kind of web presence like @islandbayy or Bjorn get enough traffic on YouTube to get a fair number of referrals. Those who are just pitching them in this thread probably aren't getting many because most of the people reading already have a Tesla and if they don't they probably have someone they know personally who will they will talk to when they do buy.

I know enough about the technology in the car to probably put most people to sleep (though some people like wk057 far surpass my knowledge) and I'm happy to answer questions. I weigh in here on TMC whenever I do have some technical nugget to contribute. But I'm not a sales guy. I've had zero referrals this year and I've accepted I'm not getting any. It's the way these things go. The people who know how to market themselves get the sales and that isn't my strength and I haven't had time or energy the last year to put much effort into the small web presence I tried to create with my blog (the last 18 months have been nuts).

I have a mixed feeling about the incentive program. I think it's a good thing to sell the car by word of mouth. Most Tesla owners are ecstatic about their cars and that helps sell them to those who can afford them. I also think those who give some kind of value to the world like making informative videos or other information out there deserve the referrals they get. They are in a sense getting paid for their work putting the information out there.

On the other hand those who have spammed key words on Google and other spam techniques have muddied reputation of the program. Tesla tried to crack down on it, but it's something very hard to police.

Like anything, there have been abuses to the program and that's sad, but there always will be. As soon as someone figured out how to spam on the internet, it became a problem in a very short time.

@wdolson & others - EXACTLY. So the feeling that the referral program overall spurs negative emotions is universal.
I hope Tesla takes heed and returns to simplifying their buying experience by eliminating the referral program altogether and passing the saves directly to every prospective Tesla buyer.

Also, given the Model 3 expenses, the EV tax credits ending early in their largest market, and taxes being raised in their second largest market, Tesla could use every working hand to focus on getting model 3 out. The referral program I bet is a distraction for them too at this point.

It's high time for the referral program to go sayonara.

C8CCC488-6408-4004-B866-4E72601A7FB3.jpeg
New “secret level” today!

So question for those who are up on all the different awards ...

Secret Level 2 - Drive the Boring Machine was 15 referrals.
Secret Level 3 - Falcon Heavy launch ... 20 referrals?
I think that's correct, starting with May 2017 referrals. The first 5 referrals for for prizes such as (1) the Model S for kids, (2) a Solar Roof Token, (3) a set of Arachnid Wheels, (4) a Powerwall 2 and (5) the Semi Unveiling.

The next five referrals were Secret Level 1 and once completed, you get 10% off a Next Gen Roadster (2% per referral).

In September, referral counts for a new round of prizes were reset: (1) Wall Connector or Model S for Kids, (2) Wall Connector or Model S for Kids, (3) a set of Arachnid Wheels, (4) a Powerwall 2 and (5) Tesla Unveiling / Solar Roof Token but the Secret Level progress is cumulative.

We're still waiting to hear about the other Secret Levels but we're glad to see a SpaceX launch is offered, as we'd hoped!

Last edited:
Thanks! My code works! Unlimited Tesla Supercharging and Extended Solar Warranty But don't you have your own code that you can use? I have no idea what prize I'll get at this point, no wheels to send your way. (I've already got my set...)

Hey, I was at the new service center earlier in the week and checked out *our* bike path. We did good. :)

Order placed, Portland sales had to look up your code.

Everyone else stop pm’ing me, geez

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: nasatech
Status
Not open for further replies.